[net.startrek] Transporter

operator@trwrba.UUCP (VAX Operator) (05/03/85)

I am a little behind in reading net.startrek, but I have some
thoughts to the  discussions  of  the  transporter  workings.

Well, I think the transporter works on the idea of converting
matter into energy (light) and  converting  the  energy  back
into  it's  original  matter at  the  destination  point  not
disassembling it as  suggested.  Therefore,  people  are  not
taken apart.  If  you recall,  an individual  knows  what  is
happening around him but cannot do  anything  about  it  once
caught  in  the  transporter beam.    Kinda  uses  Einstein's
equation  "E=MC^^2".    Remember ST transporter cannot change
the matter it transports.   There are intelligence  that  can
change the  matter  it  transports, but our transporter cannot
do this yet.

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

andrews@yale.ARPA (Thomas O. Andrews) (05/06/85)

	I don't remember much of my Star Trek trivial, but couldn't
all of this mess be explained by saying that the transporter was
a gift from the Organians (I believe that is the name of the race.)
This would explain why the Federation scientists can't use it to
make a limitless source off diamonds, people, etc.  I know that
they mention that the transporter has been improved, but maybe
the Federation still doesn't have a clear idea of how it works.
In any event, trying to explain how it works here on the net is
rather foolish.  In one episode (name?) the transporter splits Kirk
into a nasty Kirk and a wimpy Kirk.  Thus, the transporter can't only
work by transferring the atoms. The transporters seem like a technology
out of the league of the Federations, or the Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans.
They must have been designed by someone else . . .

--
					      Thomas Andrews

17?  My dear, what worthless, superstitious nonsense!

guads@nmtvax.UUCP (05/09/85)

In article <> andrews@yale-comix.UUCP (Thomas O. Andrews) writes:

>	I don't remember much of my Star Trek trivial, but couldn't
>all of this mess be explained by saying that the transporter was
>a gift from the Organians (I believe that is the name of the race.)
>This would explain why the Federation scientists can't use it to
>make a limitless source off diamonds, people, etc.
>
>					      Thomas Andrews

The transporter couldn't be a gift of the Organians' because the Federation
had it long (?) before they even knew of the Organians.  Remember: Spock and
Kirk had to beam down to Organia (on an "Errand of Mercy," which is the title
of the episode with the Organians).

On another point, you mention that Federation scientists can't use the
transporter to make diamonds and such, but in "The Squire of Gothos" when
Trelane (the alien who turns out to be a wimpy kid) offers the Federation
officers gems and gold, Kirk tells him that they can make as much of the
stuff as they want.  Was he lying or what?  They may not be able to make it
in the transporter, but assuming he wasn't lying, they can make the stuff.
Anyway...

--
                                -Lautzy (Romulan)
                              ...unmvax!nmtvax!guads

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (05/13/85)

> The transporter couldn't be a gift of the Organians' because the Federation
> had it long (?) before they even knew of the Organians.  Remember: Spock and
> Kirk had to beam down to Organia (on an "Errand of Mercy," which is the title
> of the episode with the Organians).
>                                 -Lautzy (Romulan)
>                               ...unmvax!nmtvax!guads

Yes, it could have been a gift.  Ever read the Lensman books by EESmith?
The entire inertialess drive idea is a "gift" from the Arisians, given by
the simple expedient of having an Arisian "energize" a human body and tell
it what to do...and they told the inventor of the drive, Bergenholm, what
to do to make the real drive out of the stumblings of Rodebush and Cleveland.

So what's to say the Organians don't do the same to the humans?  They just
"pop the idea" into the mind of some lucky inventor, and presto!  There's
the transporter.  Also, they won't be completely sure why it works, since
they just told the tech who built it HOW to build it and not WHY.

Name:		G. T. Samson
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (06/06/85)

> In article <> andrews@yale-comix.UUCP (Thomas O. Andrews) writes:
>
> >	I don't remember much of my Star Trek trivial, but couldn't
> >all of this mess be explained by saying that the transporter was
> >a gift from the Organians (I believe that is the name of the race.)
> >This would explain why the Federation scientists can't use it to
> >make a limitless source off diamonds, people, etc.
> >
> >					      Thomas Andrews

> On another point, you mention that Federation scientists can't use the
> transporter to make diamonds and such, but in "The Squire of Gothos" when
> Trelane (the alien who turns out to be a wimpy kid) offers the Federation
> officers gems and gold, Kirk tells him that they can make as much of the
> stuff as they want.  Was he lying or what?  They may not be able to make it
> in the transporter, but assuming he wasn't lying, they can make the stuff.
> Anyway...
>
>                                 -Lautzy (Romulan)

     It seems to me that if the transporter could break down an object or
person into energy and reassemble same, that the reassembly info could be
dumped to a tape or disk or ???.  That way things like gems and diamonds
could be duplicated at will(such as when Star Fleet doesn't come up with
the paychecks on time :-).  But then, if this were possible, the Enterprise
wouldn't run out di-lithium every once in a while and the show would lack...

     Also, when some of the [expendable] crew members were terminated, they
could make backup copies from tape or disk; then again, I can't imagine that
cloning around would be tolerated on a military vessel...

				from the alter ego of--

				Kchula-Rrit

cjbiggin@watmath.UUCP (Colin Biggin) (06/10/85)

>> >	I don't remember much of my Star Trek trivial, but couldn't
>> >all of this mess be explained by saying that the transporter was
>> >a gift from the Organians (I believe that is the name of the race.)
>> >
>> >					      Thomas Andrews

How can you possibly say this.  The first contact with Organians was
in 'Errand of Mercy' where Kirk and Spock BEAMED down to the planet.

If  (i) this was the first encounter with the Organians, they could not
        beam down to the planet since they would not have yet been
        given the transporter...
   (ii) this was not the first encounter and they had been given the
        transporter by the Organians, then Kirk and Spock would have
        known that this was an advanced culture and not a bunch of
        'sheep'...

Hence, the Organians could not possibly have given them the transporter.
At least, from my knowledge of the episodes they haven't.  Perhaps there
is an explanation in one of the subsequent books...

					cheers,
--

					Colin Biggin
                                        Univperversity of Wonderloo

"They were the best of times, they were the worst of times.
 No, I think they were probably the New York Times."

jak@talcott.UUCP (Joe Konstan) (06/14/85)

> How can you possibly say this.  The first contact with Organians was
> in 'Errand of Mercy' where Kirk and Spock BEAMED down to the planet.
>
> If  (i) this was the first encounter with the Organians, they could not
>         beam down to the planet since they would not have yet been
>         given the transporter...

We know this is not the case, since they have had the Enterprise for a
while before encountering Organia, and Klingons, Romulans, etc. also had
transporters.

>    (ii) this was not the first encounter and they had been given the
>         transporter by the Organians, then Kirk and Spock would have
>         known that this was an advanced culture and not a bunch of
>         'sheep'...

Unless the Federation (et. al.) was unaware that the Organians were
involved.  Perhaps the Organians have "missionaries" who travel the
universe and take the form of natives, thereby allowing them to impart
selected scientific advancements without being detected.

-Mithrandir
jak@talcott.{UUCP,ARPA}