[net.startrek] Transporters

syn@uo-vax3.UUCP (syn) (04/17/85)

But there is more to it than tachyons.  Think about it.  The transporter
is a device that records information, destroys the original, constructs a
copy.  I support the notion that the Enterprise larder stocks one steak
one egg, one eggroll, six jellybeans in various flavors, and simply
reconstructs from the original recording.  Obviously in such a case it
would be inhumane to send those red shirts into life-threatening situations,
let them get killed, and refuse to warm up another "copy".  The crime of
murder, then would not lie in wiping out the original, or a reproduction,
but in erasing the record.  A realistic extrapolation from the existance
of the transporter is that everyone is immortal until their recording of
choice is destroyed.  I, for instance, would like to integrate my 1976
body with my present memories....

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (04/22/85)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

An interesting treatment of this sort of problem (creating multiple copies
of folks) can be found in the Star Trek novel "The Price of the Phoenix"
and its sequel, "The Fate of the Phoenix", which I'm reading now.  The
"Phoenix" referred to in the title is none other than a copy of Kirk.
It's interesting if you'd like one authors ideas about having two actual
Kirks in the same universe.

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

 "When a fly lands on the ceiling, does it do a half roll or a half loop?"

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (04/23/85)

[]
	The discussions on transporters should be moved to the heading
	of "Inconsistancies."  I think that the transporter was used more
	as a Deus Ex Machina (so I flunked Latin) in that it was used to
	solve script problems.

	The only concept of the transporter that stays consistant with each
	episode and the movies is that someone says "energize."
	Other than that, the properties of the transporter seem to just
	fit the script.

	Consider this list of transporter capabilities:

     o  Convert living matter into enery, move it through space and
	other matter, then reconstruct it exactely as before and
	still keep the "life force."

     o  Split the human persona into two parts, and produce two human
	bodies to put them into.  Thus, creating twice as much mass
	from which it started with.  (I believe this violates one of
	those "conservation of mass and enery" laws they teach here
	at Davis.)

     o  Create a passage way into a mirror universe.  Just add a small
	ion storm.

     o  Always break down in a crisis.  Have the transportees fade in
	the fade out again, then with alot click a whirrs, rematerialize
	the party without *any* harm, even though the transporter core
	was melting down during it all.  (Makes you wish you had a disk
	drive that could spit out flawless info while breaking down.)

   All in all, net.startrek has put in more thought about the transporter
   than Gene Rodenberry and Co. ever did, and we have probably given it
   much more time and thought than it deserves, I know I have.

		Kevin Chu
	    ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

   Director to James Doohan:

    "Just play with the switches and look like you know what you're doing!"

/ex

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli @ UC Davis, Davis, CA) (04/23/85)

> []
> 	The discussions on transporters should be moved to the heading
> 	of "Inconsistancies."  I think that the transporter was used more
> 	as a Deus Ex Machina (so I flunked Latin) in that it was used to
> 	solve script problems.
>
> 	The only concept of the transporter that stays consistant with each
> 	episode and the movies is that someone says "energize."
> 	Other than that, the properties of the transporter seem to just
> 	fit the script.
>
> 	Consider this list of transporter capabilities:

Yep.  I always thought that in Spock's Brain (my least favorite
episode) they should have had Scotty use the transporter to beam the
brain back into Spock's head rather than have McCoy perform the
amazingly unrealistic task of reconnecting the neurons on a trial-
and-error basis.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho:ccrrick)

li63sdl@sdcc7.UUCP (DAVID SMITH) (04/28/85)

In article <123@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) writes:

>     o  Split the human persona into two parts, and produce two human
>	bodies to put them into.  Thus, creating twice as much mass
>	from which it started with.  (I believe this violates one of
>	those "conservation of mass and enery" laws they teach here
>	at Davis.)
>		Kevin Chu
>	    ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

OK, splitting the human persona is a bit tricky, I'll admit, but creating
another body is just a case of feeding enough energy into the bugger to
create the extra 150 pounds or so of matter.  A hell of a lot, I'll admit,
but how much does the Big E put outr anyway?  I never have heard teh specs on
them warp engines

--
=============
David Smith

mark@nvuxb.UUCP (M Friedman) (05/01/85)

Believe it or not the idea of a transporter is not a far fetched.
The whole concept of the transportr works on the scrambling of
one's atom's and the unscrambling of the atom's back to its original
form.  Today we have atom splitters, who knows maybe the transporter is
a idea in the works.

By the way has anybody noticed, a lot of inventions from startrek are in
operation today.  For example, the little video disks, laser weapons, etc.

--
**********************                              `'`'`'`'`'`
*    Back to the      *   suicide is punishable    `     0     '

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/03/85)

>From: ry@brunix.UUCP (Rich Yampell)
>
>What of the mind and body?  While it would be nice to suppose that the
>body/mind does not function in such a state, there is evidence to the
>opposite.  In the episode entitled (I believe) "Mirror Mirror" [the
>one with the alternate universe, where Spock has a beard], Kirk is
>discussing where they are and how they got there with the rest of the
>landing party [Uhura, Scotty, McCoy], and he talks about thoughts and
>perceptions _during_ the transport process.  He remembers first seeing
>the normal Enterprise transporter room, and then materializing in the
>alternate one.  I don't remember all the details of what was said, but
>it was clear that people in transport are concious of the experience.

It could be a function of how far the person is "rematerialized". In any
episode where there is a transporter malfunction, you usually see the
person flicker in and out. It may be that once you materialized to a
certain point, you become conscious of your new surroundings.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) (05/07/85)