[net.startrek] Galactica is dead meat...

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (05/06/85)

<"Cylons approaching, range five Microns."  "Don't fire 'till you see the
whites of their nuclei!">

The (good 'ol) Enterprise against the Galactica?  Aw, come on now, the Big
E could clean its clock any day!

The scenario for such a battle is easy to envision.  The Galactica, passing
through Klingon territory, hears Kirk described as "A tin-plated dictator
with delusions of godhood."  Adama naturally assumes Kirk is some sort of
high-powered Cylon, and moves to attack.

Lets take a look at armaments, first:

The Galactica has 3 Viper squadrons, augmented by one squadron left by
Battlestar Pegasus (Silver Spar squadron).  Say, 18 to a squadron, gives 72
Vipers the Big E must face, coupled with the close-in defenses of Galactica
itself (flexible mounted dual weapons).  Vipers armed with some sort of
"Blaster."

The Enterprise has multiple Phaser batteries, and two Photon Torpedo tubes.
Plus items usually used for other purposes, like tractor beams,
transporters, and the "meteor sweeper" mounted on the engineering hull.

Defenses:

Galactica had something called "shields," but I seem to recall these were
physical shields dropped over the bridge windows when under attack.  The
Vipers have no defensive systems at all.

Enterprise has its shields, able to withstand phaser hits, and functional
against near-misses by photon torpedoes.

Propulsion:

Galactica has (nuclear?) reaction propulsion, Vipers have chemical reaction
propulsion.  Neither capable of FTL travel.  Evidence:  in the Two-parter
with Lloyd Bridges (Commander Kane) he says, "We'll even try get her
(Pegasus) up to light speed," in a flippant, bouyant way.

Enterprise has FTL capability, with high rate of accelleration.

Galactica approaches Enterprise behind a semi-hemispherical cover of Viper
fighters, intending to place Enterprise at the 'focus' of the Vipers for
simultanous attack.  Galactical would enter the fray to polish off "poor
creepled Enterprise."

Kirk furrow his brow quizzically at the approach of the fleet, plows
through Vipers, plants a photon torpedo spread into Galactica, and
continues with mission.

Proof:

1.  Vipers are worthless against Big E.  Note in the first episode of BG,
the Cylons "strafe" people on a planet.  The explosions are minor, people
and buidings just fall over.  The Viper blasters are probably the same.  In
other words, LESS POWERFUL THAN A HAND PHASER!  Phasers burn things,
dematerialize things, and probably would slice a Viper instantly.  If I
were Kirk, I would "Raster scan" ship's phasers towards approaching Vipers.

2.  Vipers are vulnerable.  Note, in "Tommorow is Yesterday," the Big E
shreds an F-104, which, coincidentally, is what the Vipers were modeled
after, using the tractor beam.  Why not use it (and the "meteor sweeper")
on the Vipers?

3.  Enterprise is invulnerable.  Note that in "Balance of Terror" the
shields deflect most of the energy of a point-blank nuclear detonation.  I
don't think anything the Vipers or the Galactica pack could get through
the shields.

4.  Since the "Galactica universe" doesn't have FTL, it would be quite
likely they wouldn't be able to detect the big E when same is under warp
drive (Does HMS Victory has ASW?).  Enterprise could go into warp, position
itself, and pick them off, one by one.

Although I don't have any of my references with me, I am confident in
saying the Galactica is pretty puny by Star Trek standards.

				   Ron Wanttaja
				   (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

"Mr Scott... what are those dark smears on the hull?"
"That's where those Viper hit us, sir?"
"Their weapons do any damage?"
"Ach, they didn't shoot us, you ran us through a pack of them..."

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (05/06/85)

"Let's get the hell out of here..."

> The (good 'ol) Enterprise against the Galactica?  Aw, come on now, the Big
> E could clean its clock any day!

While we're playing "what-if", I think that the Enterprise vs one of
Darth Vader's Death Stars would be an interesting little conflict.  The
Death Star seems to have a problem in that it takes a considerable amount
of time to launch a shot.  But if it got a shot off, the Enterprise would
be history in fairly short order.  Like Galactica's fighters, I can't
imagine that Kirk would be at all impressed by those TIE fighters. Now,
how good is the Enterprise's targetting computer.  Could it hit that
little 3 meter exhaust port with a photon torpedo?

					-- Mark A.
					   ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 3, for sufficiently large values of 1..."

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/08/85)

In article <707@ssc-vax.UUCP>, wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:

> Lets take a look at armaments, first:
>
> The Galactica has 3 Viper squadrons, augmented by one squadron left by
> Battlestar Pegasus (Silver Spar squadron).  Say, 18 to a squadron, gives 72
> Vipers the Big E must face, coupled with the close-in defenses of Galactica
> itself (flexible mounted dual weapons).  Vipers armed with some sort of
> "Blaster."

	The Galactica also has a forward-firing HIGH power laser cannon.
In one episode, I believe they destroy a Cylon Baseship with it in one blast.

> Propulsion:
>
> Galactica has (nuclear?) reaction propulsion...[not] capable of FTL..
> Evidence:  in the Two-parter with Lloyd Bridges (Commander Kane) he
> says, "We'll even try get her (Pegasus) up to light speed," in a
> flippant, bouyant way.

	As I recall, a more complete quote is, "And if you don't mind me
burning up half my fuel, I'll even try to bring her up to light speed."
Apparently, Battlestars are gas guzzlers. ;-)

> 4.  Since the "Galactica universe" doesn't have FTL, it would be quite

	In the episode of BG where they find a planet of people who've
been making Ambrosia for centuries, a Viper was heavily modified to give
it FTL capability. It had a voice recognition/speech synthesis computer
named, I believe, C.O.R.A.

> 				   Ron Wanttaja
> 				   (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

resident trekker,

--
edward

		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
			{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward
     {decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,clyde,osu-eddie,ulysses}!cbosgd! -|

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (05/08/85)

      If any of you are interested in simulating combat between
  the Enterprise and the Galactica - there is a way to do it.
  You may have already heard of a board game called Star Fleet
  Battles.  It has counters for all the different ships used by
  all the different races that an Federation starship might run
  into.  This includes the Romulans, Klingons, Gorn, and others
  such as Kzinti, Hydrans, Andromedans, and the Tholians.

      Now the Kzinti (ref. the novels, not the series), tend to
  use "aircraft carrier" type spaceships that launch fighters,
  much like the Battlestar Galactica.  (This is suppose to be in
  keeping with the highly individualistic Kzinti, who like to
  fight alone).   Using the Kzinti ships from the game you can
  simulate the Galactica.  There are also expansion kits to this
  game which give almost every race an "aircraft carrier & fighters"
  type starship.  You could try those if you don't think the
  Kzinti are close enough to the Galactica.

     The game will also allow you to explore the use of Dreadnaughts,
  Cruisers, Scouts, Tugs, Base Stations, and all sorts of fun stuff.
  Just don't expect to see certain words in the games (such as
  Mr. Spock, Star Trek, James T. Kirk).  Apparently Paramount has
  a legal lock on the use of those terms.

                                  -  Chris  Salander

  *Eddie Murphy and Billy Idol in a "fun" Star Trek???
  *I 'tink I'm gohin to be space sick.

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (05/11/85)

In article <707@ssc-vax.UUCP> wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:
><"Cylons approaching, range five Microns."  "Don't fire 'till you see the
>whites of their nuclei!">
>
>The (good 'ol) Enterprise against the Galactica?  Aw, come on now, the Big
>E could clean its clock any day!

HA!!

>Galactica had something called "shields," but I seem to recall these were
>physical shields dropped over the bridge windows when under attack.  The
>Vipers have no defensive systems at all.
Energy force screens capable of stopping point blank nuclear explosions, heavy
energy weapon fire ect.

>Enterprise has its shields, able to withstand phaser hits, and functional
>against near-misses by photon torpedoes.
>
>Propulsion:
>
>Galactica has (nuclear?) reaction propulsion, Vipers have chemical reaction
>propulsion.  Neither capable of FTL travel.  Evidence:  in the Two-parter
>with Lloyd Bridges (Commander Kane) he says, "We'll even try get her
>(Pegasus) up to light speed," in a flippant, bouyant way.

rest of quote... "if you don't mind me burnining up this precious fuel of
		  yours."
the episode had revolve around a conflict between Adama and Kane but thats
not important now :-)

>Enterprise has FTL capability, with high rate of accelleration.
>
>Galactica approaches Enterprise behind a semi-hemispherical cover of Viper
>fighters, intending to place Enterprise at the 'focus' of the Vipers for
>simultanous attack.  Galactical would enter the fray to polish off "poor
>creepled Enterprise."
>
>Kirk furrow his brow quizzically at the approach of the fleet, plows
>through Vipers, plants a photon torpedo spread into Galactica, and

is vaporised.

>Proof:
>
>1.  Vipers are worthless against Big E.  Note in the first episode of BG,
>the Cylons "strafe" people on a planet.  The explosions are minor, people
>and buidings just fall over.  The Viper blasters are probably the same.  In

buildings falling over seems rather severe, they couldn't show on TV the people
being vaporized...
>other words, LESS POWERFUL THAN A HAND PHASER!  Phasers burn things,
>dematerialize things, and probably would slice a Viper instantly.  If I
>were Kirk, I would "Raster scan" ship's phasers towards approaching Vipers.

Can't Raster scan phasers, slow rate of fire

>2.  Vipers are vulnerable.  Note, in "Tommorow is Yesterday," the Big E
>shreds an F-104, which, coincidentally, is what the Vipers were modeled
>after, using the tractor beam.  Why not use it (and the "meteor sweeper")
>on the Vipers?
>
>3.  Enterprise is invulnerable.  Note that in "Balance of Terror" the
>shields deflect most of the energy of a point-blank nuclear detonation.  I
>don't think anything the Vipers or the Galactica pack could get through
>the shields.

gee I thought they were always burning out and failing if Kirk didn't keep
turning the ship,  you can't do that against many small ships.

>4.  Since the "Galactica universe" doesn't have FTL, it would be quite
>likely they wouldn't be able to detect the big E when same is under warp
>drive (Does HMS Victory has ASW?).  Enterprise could go into warp, position
>itself, and pick them off, one by one.

they do have FTL drives but their tanks are dry.

>Although I don't have any of my references with me, I am confident in
>saying the Galactica is pretty puny by Star Trek standards.
>

>				   Ron Wanttaja
>				   (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

No referances here but good by big (?) E.  Remember the Galactica is
approx. 2.5 miles (miles) long.

Bump
What was that?  There arn't potholes in space!
I think that was the Enterprise sire.

The problem is defining each ship to the other's universe.

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (06/06/85)

>       If any of you are interested in simulating combat between
>   the Enterprise and the Galactica - there is a way to do it.
>   You may have already heard of a board game called Star Fleet
>   Battles.  It has counters for all the different ships used by
>   all the different races that an Federation starship might run
>   into.  This includes the Romulans, Klingons, Gorn, and others
>   such as Kzinti, Hydrans, Andromedans, and the Tholians.
>
>       Now the Kzinti (ref. the novels, not the series), tend to
>   use "aircraft carrier" type spaceships that launch fighters,
>   much like the Battlestar Galactica.  (This is suppose to be in
>   keeping with the highly individualistic Kzinti, who like to
>   fight alone).   Using the Kzinti ships from the game you can
>   simulate the Galactica.  There are also expansion kits to this
>   game which give almost every race an "aircraft carrier & fighters"
>   type starship.  You could try those if you don't think the
>   Kzinti are close enough to the Galactica.

>                                   -  Chris  Salander

[I found your flame verbose.  You scream and you leap.]

     Are these the same Kzinti from Larry Niven's Known Space series?
     Was reading some news-groups that I don't normally read and this
     aroused my curiosity.

				Kchula-Rrit

"Curiosity and cats do not mix."

don@umd5.UUCP (06/07/85)

In article <2801@nsc.UUCP> nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) writes:
>     Are these the same Kzinti from Larry Niven's Known Space series?
>     Was reading some news-groups that I don't normally read and this
>     aroused my curiosity.

The SFB Kzinti are loosely based upon the Kzinti in Niven's books. The
game designers simply needed another alien race , and they settled on
the Kzinti..

--
--==---==---==--
"Space, the final frontier ..."

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/09/85)

>From: don@umd5.UUCP
>
>In article <2801@nsc.UUCP> nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) writes:
>>     Are these the same Kzinti from Larry Niven's Known Space series?
>>     Was reading some news-groups that I don't normally read and this
>>     aroused my curiosity.
>>
>The SFB Kzinti are loosely based upon the Kzinti in Niven's books. The
>game designers simply needed another alien race , and they settled on
>the Kzinti..

Niven adapted his story "The Soft Weapon" into an animated Trek episode.
This entered them into Star Trek canon and, presumably, prompted the
decision.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

root@trwatf.UUCP (06/11/85)

>>>      Are these the same Kzinti from Larry Niven's Known Space series?
>>>      Was reading some news-groups that I don't normally read and this
>>>      aroused my curiosity.
>>>
>> The SFB Kzinti are loosely based upon the Kzinti in Niven's books. The
>> game designers simply needed another alien race , and they settled on
>> the Kzinti..
>
> Niven adapted his story "The Soft Weapon" into an animated Trek episode.
> This entered them into Star Trek canon and, presumably, prompted the
> decision.

Actually we were wondering if the Kzinti (using large aircraft
carrier-like warships) in the SFB games were in fact the same race as those
described in Niven's books.  Has nothing to do really with the Soft
Weapon or the animated adaptation.

I would assume that Niven has given his consent to use "Kzinti" in the
game.

>  --
>  Name:		John Ruschmeyer
>  US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

And I'll bet you bank at the Long Branch branch of the Red Bank bank....

		KER-YUK YUK YUK CHORTL CHORTL HAW HAW HAW
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"Give a man a horse... and he thinks he's enormous"

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (06/14/85)

How many people reading this play Star Fleet Battles?

don@umd5.UUCP (06/15/85)

In article <454@calmasd.UUCP> cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) writes:
>How many people reading this play Star Fleet Battles?
Yo! That's me..

--
--==---==---==--
"Space, the final frontier ..."
What ?!!?     ^  No more ?!?
But it's a frontier of frontiers !!
--==---==---==--
___________      _____ ---- _____
       \        //---- IDIC -----
       _\______//_     ----
        ----------

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

dossamg@mtuxn.UUCP (A.GOPIN) (06/18/85)

I not only play Star Fleet Battles, I am one of the senior playtesters
for Amarillo Design Bureau. (Sorry for posting this, our mail software
is brain damaged.)
					ihnp4!mtuxn!dossamg
					a.k.a. Cat Who Sleeps With Dogs
					Commanding 3rd Kzinti Field Force