[net.startrek] Space 1999, UFO, et al

thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468) (06/19/85)

		Strange as it seems, there were very few bug eyed monsters
	in the first season. The only non humanoid alien was the 'spider'
	from DRAGONS DOMAIN. It was the dreaded second season which had the
	bug eyed monsters. One monster (from BETA CLOUD, SPACE WARP & MATTER
	OF BALANCE) was used a lot with different hair lengths so as you
	wouldn't notice. If you had opted to see the few episodes where bug
	eyed monsters were used you would get this impression. This seems to
	have more to do with the arrival of Freddie Frieberger than the
	character of the show.
		One good bug eyed monster can be forgiven. Maya provided
	the potential to produce hundreds.
		Maya's shape changeing ability is not original. Captain
	Garth, from STAR TREK's WHOM GODS DESTROY had a similar ability
	limited to humanoid forms. He could change into an alien (SPOCK)
	and must have physically changed to assume the voice. Here the
	ability was called 'CELLULAR REMETAMORPHOSIS'. If one show can
	get away with that, why did Maya come in for so much stick?
		Does anyone out there look out for little continuity errors?
	I spotted several in 1999. Koenig's space suit collar in BREAKAWAY
	changes from smooth to ringed before he crashes over beacon Delta
	for instance, and Carter's visor falls open in SPACE WARP!

					Andy T.

	(HOW DOES HE MANAGE TO CHANGE FORM AT WILL???!!) J.Teflon.Kirk.
		(Teflon gets rid of any Klingons)       from WHOM GODS DESTROY

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/21/85)

>From: thornton@kcl-cs.UUCP (ZNAC468)
>
>		Maya's shape changeing ability is not original. Captain
>	Garth, from STAR TREK's WHOM GODS DESTROY had a similar ability
>	limited to humanoid forms. He could change into an alien (SPOCK)
>	and must have physically changed to assume the voice. Here the
>	ability was called 'CELLULAR REMETAMORPHOSIS'. If one show can
>	get away with that, why did Maya come in for so much stick?

Captain Garth was only shown changing into human or human-like sentient
forms. This is the distinction between him and Maya.

Maya was shown changing into everything from very non-human aliens to an
orange tree. She could also change into beings of equally varying sizes.

As others have pointed out in this group, where does the excess energy go
when she turns into a fly? By avoiding such drastic form changes, Garth is
a much more plausible character.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		New COKE- the refreshment that pauses.