[net.startrek] disposable cast?

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (06/12/85)

Here's a serious question.  With the killing of Spock in STII, the public
outcrying and the subsequent resurrection of Spock in STIII, I'm beginning
to wonder just how dependant the Star Trek stories are on the current
cast.  Could Star Trek survive if the old cast members were steadily weaned
out of the show for (for lack of a better word) new blood?

In other words, are Spock, Kirk, McCoy, etc., really THAT essential to the
nebulous being known as "Star Trek"?

Chris Andersen

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/13/85)

> In other words, are Spock, Kirk, McCoy, etc., really THAT essential to the
> nebulous being known as "Star Trek"?
>

> Chris Andersen

Well, everyone has their own definition of "Star Trek."  By my definition,
the stories are about Jim Kirk and his buddies.  Thus, with no Jim Kirk,
the show kind of falls apart.  Kind of like James Bond without James Bond.

Now, obviously, other stories could be written about other people in the
"Star Trek Universe."  Probably very good stories.  And I would definitely
go to see them and probably enjoy them greatly.  But they wouldn't be
"Star Trek" without Jim.  I think Spock could disappear (in theory, Jim's
the star so everything else could fall apart) and everyone else could, too.
As Gerrold said, the shows center around "Jim has a decision to make."
As long as our boy keeps making those decisions, we have "Star Trek."

At least, that's what I think...
--
"Comin' on like a Megaforce..."                     Peter Merchant

cjbiggin@watmath.UUCP (Colin Biggin) (06/15/85)

In article <257@azure.UUCP> chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) writes:

>Here's a serious question....
>...Could Star Trek survive if the old cast members were steadily
>weaned out of the show for (for lack of a better word) new blood?
>
>In other words, are Spock, Kirk, McCoy, etc., really THAT essential to the
>nebulous being known as "Star Trek"?
>                                      Chris Andersen

I personnaly think that the time has come to get rid of the old crew
and bring in a new bunch... preferably unknowns.

I don't know about anybody else, but the movies are becoming pretty
worn.  Kirk doesn't seem believable with that "new" hair of his
and Scotty and Bones look old.  The only ones that comes off as
not having changed is Chekov and Sulu...

I would like to see a new TV series developed based on the Star Trek
universe.  Completely new cast and new stories with maybe the occasional
visit by one of the old regulars...

					cheers,
--

					Colin Biggin
                                        Univperversity of Wonderloo

"They were the best of times, they were the worst of times.
 No, I think they were probably the New York Times."

cjbiggin@watmath.UUCP (Colin Biggin) (06/18/85)

Chris Andersen writes:
>> In other words, are Spock, Kirk, McCoy, etc., really THAT essential to the
>> nebulous being known as "Star Trek"?
>>                                       Chris Andersen

Peter Merchant responds:
>Well, everyone has their own definition of "Star Trek."  By my definition,
>the stories are about Jim Kirk and his buddies.  Thus, with no Jim Kirk,
>the show kind of falls apart.  Kind of like James Bond without James Bond.
>
>... I think Spock could disappear ... At least, that's what I think...
>                                 Peter Merchant

I have to disagree...  My definition of "Star Trek" is the *universe*
or the setting of the show.  Your analogy with James Bond is not
applicable...  Star Trek is NOT the Jim Kirk show...

I agree with you that the show does revolve around Jim Kirk and his
buddies but I don't think that this is the only criteria on which it
should be based.  As I have stated in previous postings, I think a
show could be recreated with totally new characters and new stories.

You said that you think Spock could disappear.  If anything, Spock
is more essential to the series than Kirk is (Spock was an officer
on board the Enterprise before Kirk was reading StarFleet manuals).
One of the most notable things about Star Trek (especially when
it was first released) was the idea of an alien working with
humans.  NBC was totally against the idea of Spock during the
first couple of episodes and only overwhelming, positive response
to the character prevented them from telling Gene Roddenberry to
axe him...

I don't know about the rest of the readers but I am not to
happy about the rumours of Eddie Murphy being in the next
movie.  In my mind, this only detracts (ridicules ??) Star
Trek.  One of the many good points about the show is that
it didn't have to rely on "hollywood" gimmicks such as big
name stars but relied on believability, interesting stories,
and of course, its small but loyal number of fans...  This
latest crap coming out of Paramount reeks of big time studio
overdoing a good thing...

Well, that's what I think (for what it's worth) !!!

--
cheers,
Colin Biggin

"I woke up, blinked my eyes, and it was two hours later !!!"

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (06/18/85)

> I don't know about anybody else, but the movies are becoming pretty
> worn.  Kirk doesn't seem believable with that "new" hair of his
> and Scotty and Bones look old.  The only ones that comes off as
> not having changed is Chekov and Sulu...
>
> I would like to see a new TV series developed based on the Star Trek
> universe.  Completely new cast and new stories with maybe the occasional
> visit by one of the old regulars...
>
> 					Colin Biggin

I remember hearing George Takei (sp?) at a sci-fi convention once say that
he was willing to help put on a Star-Trek related show if the other
cast members weren't willing to do it.  I have heard that one of the
reasons for promoting him to captain was to leave this possibility open
in the future.

zaphod@deepthot.UUCP (Lance Bailey) (06/18/85)

your analogy to James Bond without James Bond proves interesting
by bringing up the point that no SINGLE actor has 'been' J.B.
David Niven, Connery and Moore to name a couple.  What are the
feelings about slowly introducing new actors to replace the
currents.  Even though I have the greatest of respect for Bill
Shatner, he isn't the greatest actor in the world (go ahead, watch
a full episode of Hooker, I DARE YOU! [:-) ] ).  BUT then again
I'm not sure if'n Kirk could be the same without Bill.

thoughts? flames?
--
      4     222
   4  4    2   2

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/18/85)

> Chris Andersen writes:
> >> In other words, are Spock, Kirk, McCoy, etc., really THAT essential to the
> >> nebulous being known as "Star Trek"?
> >>                                       Chris Andersen
>
> Peter Merchant responds:
> >Well, everyone has their own definition of "Star Trek."  By my definition,
> >the stories are about Jim Kirk and his buddies.  Thus, with no Jim Kirk,
> >the show kind of falls apart.  Kind of like James Bond without James Bond.
> >
> >... I think Spock could disappear ... At least, that's what I think...
> >                                 Peter Merchant
>
> I have to disagree...  My definition of "Star Trek" is the *universe*
> or the setting of the show.  Your analogy with James Bond is not
> applicable...  Star Trek is NOT the Jim Kirk show...
>
> I agree with you that the show does revolve around Jim Kirk and his
> buddies but I don't think that this is the only criteria on which it
> should be based.  As I have stated in previous postings, I think a
> show could be recreated with totally new characters and new stories.

Oh, a show could definitely be "recreated" within the Star Trek Universe.
But I really don't think that it would be "Star Trek."  Take any story
and it has a central character who, in theory, has a decision to make.
In "Star Trek", that character is Jim Kirk.  If it were Bob MacKenzie
("I say we go pick up some beers, hoser...") on board the Federation
Starship Gazornaplatz, it wouldn't be Star Trek.  It would take place
in the same "universe" as Star Trek and the two shows might actually
meet ("The universe is a big place.") but it ain't Star Trek.

Star Trek is the voyages of the starship Enterprise and, in theory,
Jim Kirk.
> You said that you think Spock could disappear.  If anything, Spock
> is more essential to the series than Kirk is (Spock was an officer
> on board the Enterprise before Kirk was reading StarFleet manuals).
> One of the most notable things about Star Trek (especially when
> it was first released) was the idea of an alien working with
> humans.  NBC was totally against the idea of Spock during the
> first couple of episodes and only overwhelming, positive response
> to the character prevented them from telling Gene Roddenberry to
> axe him...

Spock is a funny case.  He became more important as the show went on
because he is an interesting character and people wanted to see more
of him.  But he is still only the advisor!  Jim's the one who makes
the decisions.

--
"Two cents plus two cents.."                   Peter Merchant

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (CARTY) (06/24/85)

> In article <257@azure.UUCP> chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) writes:
> >
> >Here's a serious question....
> >...Could Star Trek survive if the old cast members were steadily
> >weaned out of the show for (for lack of a better word) new blood?

This would in essence transform Star Trek into a continuing drama, or (dare
I say it?) a soap opera.  Well, they did bring Spock back from the dead...