[net.startrek] SAAVIK

ncoss@abnjh.UUCP (Scott D. Allen) (03/01/84)

** Take that magic line eater.

Saavik is indeed half-Vulcan but the other half is Romulan not Terran (I hate
"Earthing" and dislike "Human").  This was explained in the book but not in
the film.  I think she will have a love interest in the next film but it will
be with David, Kirk's son.  They were having serious discussions and looks at
the end of the book but, too bad, the scenes were cut from the movie.

Hope this helps.

                                          Scott D. Allen
                                    American Bell, Inc.                                                                                         AT&T Information Systems
                                         Orlando, Florida

martillo@ihuxt.UUCP (Yehoyaqim Shemtob Martillo) (03/16/84)

Does anyone have any idea whether Saavik is Spock's daughter by the
Romulan commander he seduced when the Enterprise stole the Romulan
cloaking device.

brahms@trwspp.UUCP (03/18/84)

[}for the lover of blank lines{]

I doubt if Spock would have been able to mate with the Romulan commander.

However, asumming they had, Saavik seems to old to be the result.
The offspring would only be about 18 or thereabouts.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@USC-ECLC

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (03/22/84)

>>>  Does anyone have any idea whether Saavik is Spock's daughter by the
>>>  Romulan commander he seduced when the Enterprise stole the Romulan
>>>  cloaking device.

Interesting point.  Please pay attention to the novelization of the
Wrath of Kahn, which has a lot of extra info in regards to Saavik, and
that Spock was on a ?Mercy? mission from Vulcan to an abandoned
Romulan planet, and it is there that the half-breed Saavik was found?
And it was only by Spock's insistance that she was brought back to
Vulcan?  Spock has been tricky with finnagling, and this could have
been arranged for him to "rescue" his child.  Could be interesting
discussion.

                                          Walt Pesch
                                      AT&T Technologies
                                     ihnp4!ihuxp!wbpesch

vljohnson@watrose.UUCP (Lee Johnson) (01/04/85)

I assume that Saavik will appear in ST IV.  Who have they signed to play
the part?  Given the choice between Kirstie Alley and Robin Curtis, I
think I would prefer Ms. Alley.  Gee, if they can fork out $2M to sign
Wild Bill Shatner, they should be able to pay her enough to entice Alley
back.

Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?

Regards,
Lee Johnson (as himself).
{...decvax}!watmath!watrose!vljohnson

"Just return the unused portion of the product,
 and we'll return the unused portion of your money."

tli@uscvax.UUCP (Tony Li) (01/07/85)

> I assume that Saavik will appear in ST IV.  Who have they signed to play
> the part?  Given the choice between Kirstie Alley and Robin Curtis, I
> think I would prefer Ms. Alley.  Gee, if they can fork out $2M to sign
> Wild Bill Shatner, they should be able to pay her enough to entice Alley
> back.
>
> Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?
>
> Lee Johnson (as himself).

I would most definitely prefer Kirstie Alley (she's the one in ST II - right?).
I thought that she was much more 'Vulcan'.   That combined with the slight
Romulan twinge was quite interesting.  Robin Curtis didn't have Vulcan
features, both physically and emotionally.  She seemed very 'round', and I
expect Vulcans to be gaunt and angular.  Her performance as a Vulcan was
very poor.  There seemed to be little attempt to even appear emotionless.

Cheers,
Tony ;-)

--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,randvax}!uscvax!tli

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (01/07/85)

I prefer Ms. Alley to Ms. Curtis for the part of Saavik.  I think that
Ms. Alley portrayed a much more complex character than Ms. Curtis'.
Also, Ms. Alley seemed to have the correct "look"!

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (01/08/85)

> Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?

   Saavik!

   She's sexier!!

   (besides, she looks more like a Vulcan/Romulan)

--
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (01/09/85)

>> Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?
>

>   Saavik!
>
>   She's sexier!!
>
>   (besides, she looks more like a Vulcan/Romulan)
>
>--
>Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin
>
>"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
>  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

I gather Kevin means Kristie Alley?????

scott@whuxl.UUCP (steve scott) (01/10/85)

> Gee, if they can fork out $2M to sign
> Wild Bill Shatner, they should be able to pay her enough to entice Alley
> back.
>
> Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?
>
> Lee Johnson (as himself).

I must prefer Kirstie Alley as Saavik.  BTW, at the ST Con in NY this
weekend, Majel Barret (Great Bird's Wife) said that Kirstie asked for
$300,000 for STIII which was more than some of the principals were
getting (which ones I don't know).  I don't know but I would say that
compared to Robin (BLECH) Curtis, 300K is worth it.

	Steve Scott -->		..!ihnp4!houxm!whuxl!scott

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (01/11/85)

>> Gee, if they can fork out $2M to sign
>> Wild Bill Shatner, they should be able to pay her enough to entice Alley
>> back.
>>
>> Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?
>>
>> Lee Johnson (as himself).
>
>I must prefer Kirstie Alley as Saavik.  BTW, at the ST Con in NY this
>weekend, Majel Barret (Great Bird's Wife) said that Kirstie asked for
>$300,000 for STIII which was more than some of the principals were
>getting (which ones I don't know).  I don't know but I would say that
>compared to Robin (BLECH) Curtis, 300K is worth it.
>

>	Steve Scott -->		..!ihnp4!houxm!whuxl!scott

I would agree that this price is not unreasonable.  If some of the
principal characters were not getting that much, maybe they should
have received more.  Considering the amount that was made from the
box office, they could have afforded it!

It is always much more effective to keep the same actors or
actresses for an established role!  Kristie Alley in my opinion
established the Saavik role in TWOK.

dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Daniel Bidinger) (01/12/85)

> > Gee, if they can fork out $2M to sign
> > Wild Bill Shatner, they should be able to pay her enough to entice Alley
> > back.
> >
> > Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?
> >
> > Lee Johnson (as himself).
>
> I must prefer Kirstie Alley as Saavik.  BTW, at the ST Con in NY this
> weekend, Majel Barret (Great Bird's Wife) said that Kirstie asked for
> $300,000 for STIII which was more than some of the principals were
> getting (which ones I don't know).  I don't know but I would say that
> compared to Robin (BLECH) Curtis, 300K is worth it.
>

> 	Steve Scott -->		..!ihnp4!houxm!whuxl!scott

    I like Alley too. She looks more like the part.

	Dan Bidinger
		    cbosgd!dpb

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (01/12/85)

> >> Now then, a mini-survey.  Who did you prefer in the role of Saavik?  Why?
> >

> >   Saavik!
> >
> >   She's sexier!!
> >
> >   (besides, she looks more like a Vulcan/Romulan)
> >
> >--
> >Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin
>
> I gather Kevin means Kristie Alley?????
>
> Michael N. Washington
> TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

   Kristie Alley is exactly who I meant, I just get so excited sometimes!
The neat thing about the role of Saavik is she provides a sexual counter-
part of Mr. Spock.  Remember when Star Trek first came out on TV the
surprise of the studios on the popularity of Mr. Spock?  It seems the
majority were women, and why not?  Spock was strong, sensitive, logical,
loyal, incrediblly brilliant, and on occasion we even got to see his deeper
emotions.  What a guy!  But of course he was inpervious to women, absolutely
no effect on him.  You could just hear his female fans think 'Just let me
work on him, we'll see how emotionless he is!'
   Well Saavik gives male ST fans the same opertunity.  Beautiful, capable,
independent, brilliant, body that could stop a heavy cruiser at warp 9, and
completely indifferent to men.  Ah, but the 'ol hormones don't give up that
easy!  'Just give me five minutes to turn on the old charm and she'll be
like putty in my hands!'.  Wonder what a Star Fleet officer makes a month
(do they get paid by the mile?), with a little luck I could quite this job.

--
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

vljohnson@watrose.UUCP (Lee Johnson) (01/14/85)

[zap!]

Aaarrrggghh!  I really must insist on a point of spelling.  The correct
spelling of Ms. Alley's first name really is Kirstie. [sic]

All of the mail I have received so far indicates a preference of Kirstie
Alley over Robin Curtis in the role of Saavik.  It's probably much too
late to influence the casting people, since apparently most or all of the
principals have already been signed.  Is anyone in the know?  Will we
get Kirstie, Robin, or <gulp> *another* one?  Or none at all?

Regards,
Lee Johnson

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (01/14/85)

Directed to Kevin's last posting!

Hmmm,  well if you read the books, Saavik was quite emotional.  She did not
show it among humans/vulcans but it was there.  Her childhood would
account for this.  Also, being half Romulan (who are suppose to be quite
emotional creatures) would make her quite emotional.  When she and others
like her were found, Spock inhertied Saavik and of course taught her the
way he was taught, Vulcan!  And he (Kevin)is right, it gives us males the
fantasy that women have about Spock!

As I have stated, Kristie Alley's portrail of Saavik showed much more of
this turmoil than when Robin Curtis played Saavik.

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (01/22/85)

my sentiments exactly
jlz
From the mostly vacant environment of  Jeanette L. Zobjeck (ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie)

All opinions expressed may not even be my own.

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (01/22/85)

possibly Jamie Faar

schuetz@via.DEC (DTN 381-2647 or system REGAL, GLIVET, or LAGER) (06/10/85)

A while ago I asked which actress, if any, is going to play Saavik.
Robin Curtis or Kirstie Allen? (Please let it be K.A.)

Anyone care to fill me in?  Any one know?

Thanks,
CHris

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (06/12/85)

In article <2584@decwrl.UUCP>, schuetz@via.DEC (DTN 381-2647 or system REGAL, GLIVET, or LAGER) writes:
> A while ago I asked which actress, if any, is going to play Saavik.
> Robin Curtis or Kirstie Allen? (Please let it be K.A.)
>
> Anyone care to fill me in?  Any one know?
>
> Thanks,
> CHris

	When Leonard Nimoy lectured here back in March, he said that if
Saavik was in STIV, she would be Robin Curtis.

--
edward
		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
  |     \  _
   \___/ \=		"Well, what's on the television then?"
			"Looks like a penguin."
Support barrier free design

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/13/85)

> From:	dec-via!schuetz	(Chris Schuetz)

> A while ago I asked which actress, if any, is going to play Saavik.
> Robin Curtis or Kirstie Allen? (Please let it be K.A.)
>
> Anyone care to fill me in?  Any one know?

Sorry to break your day, but according to information in the
letter column of the latest issue of DC's STAR TREK comic,
Robin Curtis is returning as Saavik.
	And by the way, that's Kirstie Alley, not Allen.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/16/85)

<.> A while ago I asked which actress, if any, is going to play Saavik.
<.> Robin Curtis or Kirstie Allen? (Please let it be K.A.)
<.
<.Sorry to break your day, but according to information in the
<.letter column of the latest issue of DC's STAR TREK comic,
<.Robin Curtis is returning as Saavik.
<.	And by the way, that's Kirstie Alley, not Allen.

Recently I watched all four Star Trek movies while writing an article
covering the history of Laser videodiscs.

Perhaps we are seeing another example of the multiple Dr. Who syndrome,
where a person's favorite Doctor is usually the first one he became
familiar with.

Since I don't watch TWOK too often (after all, it is a bummer to see Spock
wasted) I never grew too attached to Saavik or a particular actress playing
Saavik.  There was some rather interesting Saavik background in the
novelizations, but none of that came out in the movie.

I find Curtis's Saavik more exotic and strange, which is (I suppose) more
suitable for a science fiction flick than something that is more easily
recognizeable.

One point in Alley's favor: she certainly has a closer resemblance to
the voluptuous Vulcan priestesses seen in ST3.  But then I have
Slaughterhouse Five on CAV LaserDisc, which takes care of that department.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (06/17/85)

> Recently I watched all four Star Trek movies while writing an article
> covering the history of Laser videodiscs.

All four???  Last time I looked there were just 3.  What is this fourth movie?
Maybe it was banned in NJ?

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

"So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood..."
"And therefore..."
"A witch!"

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/17/85)

>From: caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX)
>
>Recently I watched all four Star Trek movies while writing an article
>covering the history of Laser videodiscs.

All four??????!!!!!!!

Well, Chuck, any spoilers you'd care to impart?

[Seriously, :-) I assume this is a typo or some reference to Trek on
laserdisk that I don't know about. I couldn't resist, though.]

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		New COKE- the refreshment that pauses.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/19/85)

>>Recently I watched all four Star Trek movies while writing an article
>>covering the history of Laser videodiscs.
>
>All four??????!!!!!!!
>Well, Chuck, any spoilers you'd care to impart?

They are 1, 1.5, 2 and 3.  1.5 is a "Special Longer Edition" containing
the good portion of the extra footage that was shown in the ABC telecast.
Unfortunately, some cretin at Paramount munged the sound on 1.5, so I
still play the original.

The movie makes much more sense with the extra material; I think it would
have been more successful if it had been originally released that way.

There is a real hooter of a shot in 1.5 that shows the scaffolding,
as well as some instantaenous space suit substitutions on Krik's part.
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
Voice: 503-621-3406     Modem: 503-621-3746 (Hit CR's for speed detect)
Home of Professional-YAM, the most powerful COMM program for the IBM PC

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (06/20/85)

For what its worth, I liked both of them.  What do you think the chances
are for a molecular biologist/patent agent/amateur computer hack from
Wisconsin getting a date with either of them?
--

	Barry Buchbinder
	Agrigenetics Corp.

Raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju) (06/23/85)

	Why not bring back Persis Kambatta?  I
	kind of liked the bald head look on a
	lady. Any news on her other than she
	got married?

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/25/85)

> From:	omen!caf	(Chuck Forsberg)

> Recently I watched all four Star Trek movies while writing an article
> covering the history of Laser videodiscs.

Four?? Is it possible that you consider the two different versions of the
first film as separate movies?

> Perhaps we are seeing another example of the multiple Dr. Who syndrome,
> where a person's favorite Doctor is usually the first one he became
> familiar with.

I usually find this true with music. Oftentimes I feel that the first
version of a song I hear becomes the "correct" one, the yardstick by
which I measure other versions.

> Since I don't watch TWOK too often (after all, it is a bummer to see Spock
> wasted) I never grew too attached to Saavik or a particular actress playing
> Saavik.
> [...]
> I find Curtis's Saavik more exotic and strange, which is (I suppose) more
> suitable for a science fiction flick than something that is more easily
> recognizeable.

Funny. Some many moons ago, I posted a message explaining why I preferred
Kirstie Alley to Robin Curtis, and the basic thrust of it was that I find
Alley to look much more exotic [-ly beautiful] than Curtis. Curtis to me
looks like a human being with pointed ears; Alley (and Nimoy) doesn't.
	Secondly, though it sounds strange, I thought Curtis was too flat
[no, I don't mean *that*!] and unemotional. Vulcans, after all, aren't
*without* emotions, they just control them. What makes Spock, Saavik,
Sarek, et al. interesting is seeing the emotion seething just below the
surface. If they were completely unemotional, they'd be boring. Anyways, I
think Alley had just the right undercurrent of emotion in her portrayal of
Saavik (I can't, for instance, see Curtis crying at Spock's funeral).

> One point in Alley's favor: she certainly has a closer resemblance to
> the voluptuous Vulcan priestesses seen in ST3.  But then I have
> Slaughterhouse Five on CAV LaserDisc, which takes care of that department.

I wasn't aware that Valerie Perrine played a Vulcan priestess in
SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE.  :-)

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (06/26/85)

> 	Secondly, though it sounds strange, I thought Curtis was too flat
> [no, I don't mean *that*!] and unemotional. Vulcans, after all, aren't
> *without* emotions, they just control them. What makes Spock, Saavik,
> Sarek, et al. interesting is seeing the emotion seething just below the
> surface. If they were completely unemotional, they'd be boring. Anyways, I
> think Alley had just the right undercurrent of emotion in her portrayal of
> Saavik (I can't, for instance, see Curtis crying at Spock's funeral).
>
> --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

I think jayembee hit the sucker right on the head here.  I'll go slightly
out on a limb here and talk a bit about the novelization;  Saavik is a
Romulan/Vulcan fusion.  As we all know, the Romulans are a bloodthirsty
and highly agressive race.  If you think Spock had a tough time living
up to the Vulcan ideal of logical precision, imagine what someone would
go through whose racial heritage was even bloodier and less rational
than us humans!  I think Alley captured this lightly integrated
dichotomy almost perfectly -- there was a great deal more intensity
in her Saavik than in Curtis's.  As JB postulated, she was boring.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

copp@petrus.UUCP (06/26/85)

Do you think you could impersonate a movie producer?

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (06/27/85)

> Alley looks much more exotic [-ly beautiful] than Curtis. Curtis to me
> looks like a human being with pointed ears; Alley (and Nimoy) doesn't.
> 	Secondly, though it sounds strange, I thought Curtis was too flat
> [no, I don't mean *that*!] and unemotional. Vulcans, after all, aren't
> *without* emotions, they just control them. What makes Spock, Saavik,
> Sarek, et al. interesting is seeing the emotion seething just below the
> surface. If they were completely unemotional, they'd be boring. Anyways, I
> think Alley had just the right undercurrent of emotion in her portrayal of
> Saavik (I can't, for instance, see Curtis crying at Spock's funeral).

As I understand it (from a friend who has ALL the ST books, Saavik
is half Vulcan and half Romulan.  Since the Romulans are emotional,
(and perhaps women more so than men) Saavik's emotions are not out
of line for her.  I feel they would be if she where a pure Vulcan.

		John Wardale and my 3 cows from Wisconsin
			{any civilized machine} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw

<<<<<---and now a new, cutsie ending ----->>>>

To err is Human, to really foul-up the world news requires the net.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/28/85)

In article <2873@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>Organ zation: DEC Engineering Network
>
>> From:	omen!caf	(Chuck Forsberg)
>
>> Recently I watched all four Star Trek movies while writing an article
>> covering the history ne nu
>aser videodiscs.
>
>rdasr?? Is it possible that you consider the two different versions of the
>f shef film as separate movies?

I seem to be getting some sort of subspace interference lately, as one can
see by the garble.

Especially if one has not read the book, the STTMP special edition makes
much more sense than the original release.  In fact, the scene where Ilia
heals Chekov's burns via emphathy (not in the original film) finally drove
home the reason Ilia was in the movie in the first place.

There was much speculation in the popular SF press about a cybernetic
future in the evolution of Man.  V'ger's role in this evolution is clear.
What the Ilia empathy healing scene brought out was her evolution in the
aspects we consider HUMAN.  Too bad the censors wouldn't allow the movie
to delve into the sexual aspects of Ilia's advanced human evolution.
Perhaps there should be a STTMP 1.75 - this one a hard R.

To really understand STTMP, you still have to read the book.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
Voice: 503-621-3406     Modem: 503-621-3746 (Hit CR's for speed detect)
Home of Professional-YAM, the most powerful COMM program for the IBM PC

raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) (07/03/85)

Was Saavik's Romulan side revealed in any Star Trek movie
or in the comics?  Or was this another "addition" to the
Star Trek Universe (an ever-changing one)?

				  - Raju  raju@ut-ngp.ARPA
				  ...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!raju
				...!arpasite!raju@ut-ngp.ARPA

	"Forget Alley & Curtis, Give Me Khambatta"
	 	- Balds have more fun -

ayers@convexs.UUCP (07/05/85)

	Why not bring back Persis Kambatta?  I
	kind of liked the bald head look on a
	lady. Any news on her other than she
	got married?

About the time she got married, the daily papers carried stories of her
(auto?) accident, head injuries, and scarring of her scalp...

not me, nor

blues, II