[net.startrek] Recalled ST book

markv@dartvax.UUCP (Mark F. Vita) (07/17/85)

> If you haven't already gotten a copy of the newst ST novel, Killing Time
> by Della Van Hise, you may have missed it.  It is being recalled by
> the publisher, at Paramount's insistance, to be destroyed.  It seems
> that Paramount officials read the book and demanded in no uncertain
> terms that certain explicit scenes be removed.  The publisher duly
> removed them.  Then some gremlins got into the works and the WRONG
> VERSION was published.  An expurgated version may be released later.
> They were selling fast in the dealer's room (I got MY copy)!

    Just what could be so "explicit" that the Paramount has actually
*recalled* the book?!?!?  I've never heard of a book being recalled
in recent times.  Is the Moron Majority infiltrating Paramount?
This stinks of Falwellian machinations. [1/2 :-)]  Or was it just
something that was not considered to be believable Star Trek?
    Can someone provide a more complete story?

--

                                Mark Vita
                                Dartmouth College

                       USENET:  {decvax,cornell,linus,astrovax}!dartvax!markv
                       ARPA:    markv%dartmouth@csnet-relay
                       CSNET:   markv@dartmouth

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (07/19/85)

In article <3360@dartvax.UUCP> markv@dartvax.UUCP (Mark F. Vita) writes:

>> If you haven't already gotten a copy of the newst ST novel, Killing Time
>> by Della Van Hise, you may have missed it.  It is being recalled by
>> the publisher, at Paramount's insistance, to be destroyed.  It seems
>> that Paramount officials read the book and demanded in no uncertain
>> terms that certain explicit scenes be removed.  The publisher duly
>> removed them.  Then some gremlins got into the works and the WRONG
>> VERSION was published.  An expurgated version may be released later.
>
>    Just what could be so "explicit" that the Paramount has actually
>*recalled* the book?!?!?  I've never heard of a book being recalled
>in recent times.  Is the Moron Majority infiltrating Paramount?
>This stinks of Falwellian machinations. [1/2 :-)]  Or was it just
>something that was not considered to be believable Star Trek?
>    Can someone provide a more complete story?
>> 			Mary Anne Espenshade
			Mark Vita
Having already read the book I can't imagine what is offensive in a
sexual way.  It is a kind of alternate universe story so it might be
true that some would consider it not ST.  There are scenes equally or
more "explicit" in other published ST novels (don't run out and buy
this book in eager anticipation!).  I don't think it's a very good
book all round,(but I have a certain bias against the Van Hise
Establishment) but they've never censored other really putrid ones
for that reason alone.  Is a puzzlement.
Susan Brown