[net.startrek] Where Were They?

kek@hoxna.UUCP ( K. E. Kepple) (06/21/85)

[]

In the episode ALL OUR YESTERDAYS which aired recently in this area, I
noted that Spock (who cannot tell a lie) told Zarabeth (this is the gal
who was exiled in the Arctic wilderness, and with whom Spock later falls
in love) that he was from a place "...millions of light years away."

My question is: Does this imply that the Enterprise was in some other
galaxy (other than the Milky Way)? Our galaxy is estimated to be about
100,000 light years across, so this seems to rule out even the most remote
(from Earth) reaches. Or did Mr. Spock exaggerate? This statement was
made shortly after his arrival at Zarabeth's cavern and before the effects
of not being "processed" by Mr. Atoz' atabachron(sp?) took hold.

I recall several times when the Enterprise reached the edge of the galaxy:
(WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE, IS THERE IN TRUTH NO BEAUTY and BY ANY OTHER
NAME), but I don't think the Enterprise ever went far beyond that. Did I
miss something?

Come on you TREK fans, let's set the record straight!

Ken Kepple
hoxna!kek   datakit: ho/bedrock/fred!kek
AT&T-Bell Labs - Holmdel NJ 07733  201-949-6525  Cornet 8-233-6525
...!{hocda, ihnp4, floyd!vax135!ariel!houti!hogpc}!houxm!houxf!hoxna!kek

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (06/27/85)

> Spock said 'millions of light years away...'

I'm surprised Spock didn't say "three hundred sixty four thousand seven hundred
thirteen point four oh four five nine light years..."

   '`'`'`'
    Ken
   '`'`'

dahlback@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (06/29/85)

I seem to remember there was one episode in which the Enterprise attempted
to leave the galaxy and got in big trouble--some kind of force field
grabbed the ship, I believe. "The <something> Web"? Does anybody remember?

dahlback@uiucdcs

don@umd5.UUCP (06/29/85)

In article <515@hoxna.UUCP> kek@hoxna.UUCP ( K. E. Kepple) writes:
>[]
>
>In the episode ALL OUR YESTERDAYS which aired recently in this area, I
>noted that Spock (who cannot tell a lie)...
>[...]

But of course Spock can tell a lie!
Have you ever seen 'The Enterprise Incident' ?

--
--==---==---==--

___________      _____ ---- _____
       \        //---- IDIC -----
       _\______//_     ----
        ----------

  ARPA: don@umd5.ARPA   BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo,rlgvax,allegra,brl-bmd,nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (06/29/85)

In article <515@hoxna.UUCP> kek@hoxna.UUCP ( K. E. Kepple) writes:
>In the episode ALL OUR YESTERDAYS which aired recently in this area, I
>noted that Spock (who cannot tell a lie)

Spock has lied on several occasions.  One in particular was when the
female Romulan commander asked him if it is true that Vulcans cannot
lie, and he answered "yes."  And, even if 23rd-century Vulcans could not
lie, remember that Spock was acting like a primitive Vulcan when he was
with Zarabeth.

> told Zarabeth (this is the gal
>who was exiled in the Arctic wilderness, and with whom Spock later falls
>in love) that he was from a place "...millions of light years away."
>
>My question is: Does this imply that the Enterprise was in some other
>galaxy (other than the Milky Way)?

I have two theories:
 1) He is exxagerating, in order to express the fact that he is far from
    home in more ways than one.  Given his emotional state at the time,
    some poetic license is not acceptable.
 2) He is speaking of distance in space-time, and somehow translating
    the thousands of years into a distance.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

lum@osu-eddie.UUCP (Lum Johnson) (06/30/85)

"Millions of light-years" is clearly an exaggeration, but easily
explained.  Trivial even.  Zarabeth would not understand "light-year",
but millions of 'em is still an impressive distance, when you consider
that no unit of distance smaller than a pace is ever used to measure
travelling.  Even a million paces is a *long* way over arctic land.

Lum Johnson ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie!lum or lum@osu-eddie.uucp

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (06/30/85)

In article <515@hoxna.UUCP> kek@hoxna.UUCP ( K. E. Kepple) writes:
>[]
>
>In the episode ALL OUR YESTERDAYS which aired recently in this area, I
>noted that Spock (who cannot tell a lie)...

Well, I don't know the answer to your question about "millions of light
years", but I do recall a show where Spock explained about lying--it was the
one (alas, I don't remember the name) where he and Kirk were attempting to
steal a cloaking device from the Klingons.  Spock told the Klingon commander
that he could not lie, but later that turned out to be a lie--he explained
that no society could run smoothly without some minor falsehoods.

Roy

--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/02/85)

> I seem to remember there was one episode in which the Enterprise attempted
> to leave the galaxy and got in big trouble--some kind of force field
> grabbed the ship, I believe. "The <something> Web"? Does anybody remember?

It was THE THOLIAN WEB.

				AMBAR
"You shouldn't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within
	walking distance."

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (07/04/85)

> "Millions of light-years" is clearly an exaggeration, but easily
> explained.  Trivial even.  Zarabeth would not understand "light-year",
> but millions of 'em is still an impressive distance, when you consider
> that no unit of distance smaller than a pace is ever used to measure
> travelling.  Even a million paces is a *long* way over arctic land.
>
> Lum Johnson ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie!lum or lum@osu-eddie.uucp

Ah, but you forget that by going back in time the planet will have
traveled the millions of light years, in terms of galactic drift, the
movement of their solar system, and the planets movement.  When
having the displacement in space, you also have the displacement in
absolute spatial coordinates.

 .
. . you would have to travel millions of lightyears to reach where
Spock came from - the planet in the future.

--
Walt Pesch
AT&T Network Systems

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (07/04/85)

In article <24900103@uiucdcs> dahlback@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>I seem to remember there was one episode in which the Enterprise attempted
>to leave the galaxy and got in big trouble--some kind of force field
>grabbed the ship, I believe. "The <something> Web"? Does anybody remember?
>
>dahlback@uiucdcs

The Tholian Web fits your title description.  The Enterprise was not
trying deliberately to leave the galaxy however; that would be Where No
Man Has Gone Before.

ayers@convexs.UUCP (07/05/85)

/* ---------- "Where Were They?" ---------- */
[]

			...and with whom Spock later falls
in love) that he was from a place "...millions of light years away."

My question is: Does this imply that the Enterprise was in some other
galaxy (other than the Milky Way)? Our galaxy is estimated to be about
100,000 light years across, so this seems to rule out even the most remote
(from Earth) reaches. Or did Mr. Spock exaggerate? This statement was
made shortly after his arrival at Zarabeth's cavern and before the effects
of not being "processed" by Mr. Atoz' atabachron(sp?) took hold.
/* End of text------------------------------- */

Actually, the statement was probably factual.  Please remember that the
galaxy is moving very rapidly through space, and Spock was sent a long
way back in time...

me again, &

blues, II

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (07/08/85)

                                   ________                  _______
> Roy Turner
> (a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)

Please don't be insulting!  No Klingon would ever be such a dumb bitch
as that ROMULAN!  It was a ROMULAN commander.

				Lord Kahless

joemu@nsc-pdc.UUCP (Joe Mueller) (07/08/85)

> > I seem to remember there was one episode in which the Enterprise attempted
> > to leave the galaxy and got in big trouble--some kind of force field
> > grabbed the ship, I believe. "The <something> Web"? Does anybody remember?
> >
> It was THE THOLIAN WEB.
>
> 				AMBAR
> "You shouldn't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within
> 	walking distance."

NO NO NO NO NO!

There was an episode where there was a Tholian web. It was not designed to
prevent people from leaving the galaxy but to intrap it's victims during
combat. In one episode, Kirk is exploring the innards of another starship
that all of it's inhabitants went crazy and killed each other. The ship
dissappeared into another parallel universe with Kirk. The Enterprise was
hanging around for Kirk to reappear when the Tholians showed up and ordered
the Enterprise to leave. They eventually exchanged fire and the web was
spun. The energy barrier that the original author talked about was used in
at least two episodes, one dealt with a creature called a Medusan (sp?) whose
sight would make people insane, someone saw it and sent the ship headlong into
the barrier. The other episode that I remember is that there were two creatures
from Andromida? and they took over the ship and took it through the barrier. I
don't think the barrier really had a name.

metcalf@ucbmiro.ARPA (Chris Metcalf) (07/09/85)

In article <8800010@convexs> ayers@convexs.UUCP writes:
>>[Spock says] that he was from a place "...millions of light years away."
>>My question is: Does this imply that the Enterprise was in some other
>>galaxy (other than the Milky Way)? Our galaxy is estimated to be about
>>100,000 light years across, so this seems to rule out even the most remote
>>(from Earth) reaches. Or did Mr. Spock exaggerate? [...]
>
>Actually, the statement was probably factual.  Please remember that the
>galaxy is moving very rapidly through space, and Spock was sent a long
>way back in time...

How do we measure our own galaxy's movement?  Remember, it's just another
frame of reference, and we have nothing absolute to measure the galaxy's
speed against (everything seems to moving away from us).  Also, even if
the galaxy were moving REAL fast (say at .99 c) Spock only went back to
Vulcan's prehistoric past, certainly no more than 100,000 years, not nearly
enough for the galaxy to move 1,000,000 light years.  Let's stick with the
explanation that Spock was exaggerating to get the idea across to Zarabeth.

Chris Metcalf (metcalf@ucbmiro.BERKELEY)           ...!ucbvax!ucbmiro!metcalf

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (07/10/85)

> In article <8800010@convexs> ayers@convexs.UUCP writes:
> >>[Spock says] that he was from a place "...millions of light years away."
> >>My question is: Does this imply that the Enterprise was in some other
> >>galaxy (other than the Milky Way)? Our galaxy is estimated to be about
> >>100,000 light years across, so this seems to rule out even the most remote
> >>(from Earth) reaches. Or did Mr. Spock exaggerate? [...]
> >
> >Actually, the statement was probably factual.  Please remember that the
> >galaxy is moving very rapidly through space, and Spock was sent a long
> >way back in time...
>
> How do we measure our own galaxy's movement?  Remember, it's just another
> frame of reference, and we have nothing absolute to measure the galaxy's
> speed against (everything seems to moving away from us).  Also, even if
> the galaxy were moving REAL fast (say at .99 c) Spock only went back to
> Vulcan's prehistoric past, certainly no more than 100,000 years, not nearly
> enough for the galaxy to move 1,000,000 light years.  Let's stick with the
> explanation that Spock was exaggerating to get the idea across to Zarabeth.

   I seem to remember reading somewhere that all the galaxies in the universe
that we can observe are not moving only away from us, but all the galaxies,
including us, are moving away from what appears to be a central point.  The
astronomers can't see what is at that point though.  Tha fact that everything
is moving away from this one central point is substantial support for
the 'Big Bang' theory.

--
     Adrian Zannin
 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (07/10/85)

joemu@nsc-pdc.UUCP (Joe Mueller) wrote:
> The energy barrier that the original author talked about was used in
> at least two episodes, one dealt with a creature called a Medusan (sp?) whose
> sight would make people insane, someone saw it and sent the ship headlong into
> the barrier.

Is There No Truth in Beauty

> The other episode that I remember is that there were two creatures
> from Andromeda? and they took over the ship and took it through the barrier. I
> don't think the barrier really had a name.

(I forget the name of this one, but everyone refers to it as the cube episode.)

It was simply called the energy barrier.  It made its first appearance early in
the first season (first episode with the second cast?), in Where No Man Has
Gone Before.  They were sent there to investigate it.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

"Gonna hit the ball, and touch 'em all,
 A moment in the sun.
 It's a-gone and you can tell that one goodbye."

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (07/13/85)

> > I seem to remember there was one episode in which the Enterprise attempted
> > to leave the galaxy and got in big trouble--some kind of force field
> > grabbed the ship, I believe. "The <something> Web"? Does anybody remember?
> >
> It was THE THOLIAN WEB.

Yes, it was The Tholian Web.  However, the Enterprise attempted this
trick before that episode.  In By Any Other Name, Rojan, the Kelvan
(from Andromeda) explains that he and his comrades were marooned on
the planet because there is an energy barrier at the edge of the
galaxy.  Kirk nonchalantly says, "We know; we've been there."

For the kewpie doll, what episode was Kirk referring to?
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

meier@srcsip.UUCP (C Michael Meier) (07/14/85)

>> I seem to remember there was one episode in which the Enterprise attempted
>> to leave the galaxy and got in big trouble--some kind of force field
>> grabbed the ship, I believe. "The <something> Web"? Does anybody remember?
>>
>It was THE THOLIAN WEB.
>				AMBAR
"The Tholian Web" is indeed the name of one of the episodes, but wasn't
that episode about the Defiant being caught between two universes, and
Kirk getting stuck there phasing in and out?
Christopher Meier

morrell@hplabsb.UUCP (07/19/85)

> > The other episode that I remember is that there were two creatures
> > from Andromeda? and they took over the ship and took it through the barrier
> > I don't think the barrier really had a name.
>
> I forget the name of this one, but everyone refers to it as the cube episode.
>

> --Evan Marcus
> --
> {ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                          ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

  The name of the episode with the Andromedans was "By Any Other Name."