[net.music] hit by a rock

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (04/23/85)

Industrial music you can dance to!

	I caught part of a song on the radio, I think it was called
"Industrial Dance", by a German group called something newbatten
(spelling is obviously wrong). Can anyone out there fill me in?

ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg) (04/24/85)

I think the industrial music group you are referring to is
the German group Einsturzende Neubatten. they have four or five albums out.
Some other groups in this vein (very anti-religious, noisy,
using industrial machine-type noises but often with an intense
dance beat, and usually frightening lyrics) are Psychic TV
 (ex-Throbbing Gristle members), COIL, and Foetus.

 Chris Koenigsberg
 ckk@cmu-cs-g.arpa
 {ucb-vax,seismo}!cmu-cs-g!ckk
 (412)362-6422
 1025 Murray Hill Ave.
 Pittsburgh, Pa. 15217
 MORPHIC RESONANCE- a foundation for contemporary music

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (04/24/85)

From Gregory Strockbine --

>Industrial music you can dance to!
>
>I caught part of a song on the radio, I think it was called
>"Industrial Dance", by a German group called something newbatten
>(spelling is obviously wrong). Can anyone out there fill me in?

    Yow!! That's Einstu:rzende Neubaten!  [nb. `:' = umlaut]

    Has yet another industrial band gone disco?

    To date, the list includes Cabaret Voltaire, Chris & Cosi (1/2 of TG),
    and Surgical Penis Klinik. Any others? Maybe we should conduct a poll!
    Send all replies to net.music.gdead...

    ES's earlier work, complete with power tools, frantic hyper-tense
    Hitleresque vocals (screaming German males tend to sound the same
    since WWII), and bleak, hi-energy, clanging staccato rhythms, was
    the most angst-provoking noise I'd heard since before Surgical
    Penis Klinik sold out. Now THAT was MUSIC!!

    Odd that Industrial bands seem to go disco or Christian Punk. Whatever's
    becoming of this generation?

    Oh well, we still have Nurse With Wound. Any Swan fans out there?

-michael

>Industrial music you can dance to!

>	I caught part of a song on the radio, I think it was called
>"Industrial Dance", by a German group called something newbatten
>(spelling is obviously wrong). Can anyone out there fill me in?

It was Einsturzende Neubauten.  You can find them in the import section
of the larger record stores that still have import sections.  I have
4 of their records.  Great stuff.  Also caught a video of theirs on
USA cables 'Some Bizzare' show during 'Night Flight'.  Lots of industrial
sounds, grinders, banging big metal things etc.  My 'favorite group of
the week'.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

mclem@lasspvax.UUCP (Minot Clements) (04/24/85)

"Einsturzende Neubauten's use of power tools to overcome musical
inhibitions is well documented..." (quoted without permission from
RE/SEARCH #8/9).  I have seen their LP in local record stores, so it
must be getting decent distribution.

hall@beta.DEC (DAN HALL DTN 264-5879) (04/25/85)

<>

> Industrial music you can dance to!
>
> 	I caught part of a song on the radio, I think it was called
> "Industrial Dance", by a German group called something newbatten
> (spelling is obviously wrong). Can anyone out there fill me in?

Sounds like you're refering to Einsterzende Neubauten.  They are
indeed from Germany.  Their name means "collapsing new buildings"
and that's exactly what they sound like sometimes. :-)  Some of
the "instruments" they play include banging a steel pipe on an
overpass wall, and a hospital heart monitor.  I have one of their
albums, and last week I picked up their new single but I don't
remember seeing the name "Industrial Dance" on it.  The single is
much more musical than anything on the album I have.  They played
on the single version of "Collapsing New People" by Fad Gadget,
where their pile-driver sound fits in nice when there is music
to go with it.

Dan Hall
DEC, Merrimack, NH
decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-beta!hall

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (05/02/85)

>    Oh well, we still have Nurse With Wound. Any Swan fans out there?
>
>-michael

	Tell us more about Swan please.

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (05/06/85)

In article <5234@fortune.UUCP> strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) writes:
>>    Oh well, we still have Nurse With Wound. Any Swan fans out there?
>>
>>-michael
>
>	Tell us more about Swan please.

Filth:

CRUNCH.  CRUNCH.  DRONE, CRUNCH.  METAL FALLS.  SHOUT AGONY.  DEATH.

Great record.

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-

p.s.  Remember May 18th, Joy Division fans....

"I've walked on water, run through fire,
 Can't seem to feel it anymore..."

-=-

>	Tell us more about Swan please.

The Swans.  Apparently 3 records out, 2 lp's and an EP.  First LP named
"Filth", second LP named 'Cop' (I'm trying to get a hold of it now)

Credits list 2 drummers and 2 bass players and a vocalist I think,
(and it sounds like it) EVERYTHING is used as percussion instruments
(they might as well beat on the bass strings with drumsticks, about
the same effect).  Short repetitive angry shout vocals.  A previous
poster said it well - 'a Flipper from Hell played at 16 rpm'.
No melody, all brash percussive texture.  Great combination.