[net.startrek] worst episode

schneider@vlnvax.DEC (02/11/85)

I find it hard to vote for a "worst" because there's something I like in
each, but I'll have to remember to interpret worst as "the one in which
I found the least to like" or "the most to dislike" and that is

"The Conscience of the King" in which Coridian, the Shakesperean actor, is
shown to be Kodos, ex-murderous tyrant.  My prime reason for chosing this
one is the dreadful job of acting put in by Coridian's daughter, who is
murdering all the people who had seen Kodos alive.  Unfortunately she is
given many more lines than her father who did a commendable job.  As I
said, I did enjoy the plot and also the way Spock and McCoy got down to
the bottom of what was happening, but there is enough going against it to get
my vote, including an incredibly sappy song by Uhura to the lonely Riley.

Incidently, I'm surprised at all the flack that "The Omega Glory" is
catching.  Its not bad although they worked this theme of alternate
destinies/similar circumstances to earth into more than a few episodes,
notably "A Piece of the Action", "Assignment: Earth" and "The City on
the Edge of Forever" perhaps more favorably.

			Daniel Schneider
			{...decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vlnvax!schneider

linwood@jett.UUCP (02/14/85)

.
I do not remember it, so I guess that is why it is my least favorite
episode..."Plato's Stepchildren"...

ranked number 78 though is "Who Mourns for Adonais?"  ( a giant Hand gees...)

I liked "Obsession" (Just saw it last weekend)

I liked "Omega Glory" UNTIL they brought in the American Flag... and start
using the word "Freedom".

"Bread and Circuses" was pretty bad, 20th Century Rome! (Come on)

It is convenient though that all life forms are either GASius or Humanoid.
Everyone speaks English (with the exceptions of a few words)
And use the same spaceships....(Romulans using Klingon Design, Frieghter
in "Ultimate Computer" same as the 'Botany Bay')

	- linwood

boyajian@akov68.DEC (03/05/85)

A little while ago, someone (I'm sorry, but I forget who --- the message has
already been disposed of) suggested that in making our "worst episodes" lists,
we give a reason why we think a given episode is one of the worst. So, in
keeping with that suggestion, I shall re-submit my choice for worst episode.

Episode: "And the Children Shall Lead"

Reason: Because it sucks dead and diseased rodents, that's why.

I hope this is satisfactory.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (06/27/85)

<if you see this line, then you know the line eater is dead>

> The worst case of this was in the last episode, where Janice
> Lester took over his body!  (well, that has to be the worst
> episode anyways! Even worse than 'Spocks Brain')

No, the worst episode was the "Tears ...<what ever>" where Kirk
has to wet-nurse a 35 year old spoiled brat-fiance` to some
blue-blood to end a war....(she's the one who had the dilithium
crystal necklace, i belive)

Now a more interesting question is "What is the BEST ST (tv only) ever?
I vote for "Balance of Terror" and "Enterprise Incident" (one and two).

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear) (06/28/85)

> No, the worst episode was the "Tears ...<what ever>" where Kirk
> has to wet-nurse a 35 year old spoiled brat-fiance` to some
> blue-blood to end a war....(she's the one who had the dilithium
> crystal necklace, i belive)
>
> Now a more interesting question is "What is the BEST ST (tv only) ever?
> I vote for "Balance of Terror" and "Enterprise Incident" (one and two).

I could never stand MIRI and I always liked GARRY SEVEN!!

						eliot
--
uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]

lew@leadsv.UUCP (Lyle E. Wilkinson) (06/29/85)

In article <162@astroatc.UUCP>, johnw@astroatc.UUCP writes:
> > The worst case of this was in the last episode, where Janice
> > Lester took over his body!  (well, that has to be the worst
> > episode anyways! Even worse than 'Spocks Brain')
>
> No, the worst episode was the "Tears ...<what ever>" where Kirk
> has to wet-nurse a 35 year old spoiled brat-fiance` to some
> blue-blood to end a war....(she's the one who had the dilithium
> crystal necklace, i belive)

	That's episode alright!  But at least we got to fight the
	Klingons in that episode and the Enterprise did fire phasers!
	(or was it PTs?)

> Now a more interesting question is "What is the BEST ST (tv only) ever?
> I vote for "Balance of Terror" and "Enterprise Incident" (one and two).

I vote for "The Children Shall Lead" as the worst episode.  The villian
was a more or less a half-baked space boogie monster.  Kirk's solution was
just a little too cute.  It's the one episode I saw that I couldn't wait
for it to be over.

As far as the best episode goes--I vote:
	(1)  Enterprise Incident
	(2)  Mirror, Mirror (The other Spock had more character!)

raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) (07/03/85)

The episode of the Dolman was one episode where Kirk should
have done his "I'll prove I'm a man" routine.  Somehow the
writers figured (or G.R.) that Kirk had too many women in
the season so they decided to show the virtues of Kirk. How
can you call it the worst, when it seemed to be a Star Trek
version of "Taming of the Shrew"?  I hope you don't hate
Billy-boy Shakespeare.  Are there any other shows that seem
to follow a Shakepearey course?

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (07/04/85)

> > Now a more interesting question is "What is the BEST ST (tv only) ever?
> > I vote for "Balance of Terror" and "Enterprise Incident" (one and two).

......etc......

> As far as the best episode goes--I vote:
> 	(1)  Enterprise Incident
> 	(2)  Mirror, Mirror (The other Spock had more character!)

I would like to cast a ballot for "Amok Time", "This Side Of Paridise", and
"The Enterprise Incident" as the best episodes.  I guess you might be able
to put "The Ultimate Computer" in there too if you want to stretch things.
--
     Adrian Zannin
 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin

don@umd5.UUCP (07/04/85)

In article <323@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>> I vote for "The Children Shall Lead" as the worst episode.  The villian
>> was a more or less a half-baked space boogie monster.  Kirk's solution was
>> just a little too cute.  It's the one episode I saw that I couldn't wait
>> for it to be over.
>
>I think there is a tie in this category.  And the Children Shall
>Lead and Spock's Brain ought to share the silliness award.

How about 'Spectre of the Gun'? They didn't have a good science-fiction
script , so *POOF*! - they used an old western story.

--
--==---==---==--

___________      _____ ---- _____
       \        //---- IDIC -----
       _\______//_     ----
        ----------

  ARPA: don@umd5.ARPA   BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo,rlgvax,allegra,brl-bmd,nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (07/05/85)

> The episode of the Dolman was one episode where Kirk should
> have done his "I'll prove I'm a man" routine.  Somehow the
> writers figured (or G.R.) that Kirk had too many women in
> the season so they decided to show the virtues of Kirk. How
> can you call it the worst, when it seemed to be a Star Trek
> version of "Taming of the Shrew"?  I hope you don't hate
> Billy-boy Shakespeare.

Yes, I like Shakespeare.

The problems with that episode are:  It's not original Shakespeare
	2: it's more (or equally) like Pygmalion/My Fiar Lady than "Shrew".
		(I like Shaw too, but not the ugly combo of Shaw/Shakespeare
		 theft and junk by an ST writter.)
	3: The show was very POOR-SF and boring/repetative
		(Note:  I hated "Where Nomad has Gone Before" for the same reason)
	4:  Too much time was spent with Kirk (being out of character) and
		"her".  I like ST for SF, good-SF, and sometimes the interactions
		of the "regulars".

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (07/06/85)

> The episode of the Dolman was one episode where Kirk should
> have done his "I'll prove I'm a man" routine.  Somehow the
> writers figured (or G.R.) that Kirk had too many women in
> the season so they decided to show the virtues of Kirk. How
> can you call it the worst, when it seemed to be a Star Trek
> version of "Taming of the Shrew"?  I hope you don't hate
> Billy-boy Shakespeare.  Are there any other shows that seem
> to follow a Shakepearey course?

	Actually yes, and in more ways than one.

(1) The episode, The Conscience of the King takes its title from Hamlet,
"... the play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king ..."

(2) The actors in the story are acting out Shakespearean plays.

(3) The whole story is very reminiscent of Shakespearean tragedy
with its dark secrets, guilt and murderous tone.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

mchas@drutx.UUCP (CharlesMW) (07/10/85)

The wordst episode by any standards of quilityauiluality was

   'The Alternative Factor'

This was the one with Lazuruserusuresurus rocking back and forth
from dimension to dimension.  Even Bill Shatner considered
this the stupidest one of all...........

mchas

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (07/12/85)

we just went through this about 4 months ago.  is the turnover of
people who read this newsgroup that high?

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

ajd@yodel.UUCP (Andrew J. Davis) (07/12/85)

I'm sure that this will set off a number of follow-up articles, but in my
opinion, the worst Star Trek episode is either "And The Children Shall Lead"
or God help us, "Spock's Brain".  "The Alternative Factor" is definitely up
there, however.

Eventhough Bill Shatner believes that "The Alternative Factor" is the worst,
it would be interesting to see what the fans think.

					Andrew J. Davis
					(617)-467-8366

U.S. Mail:  Digital Equipment Corporation
	    Internal Software Services
	    Systems and Network Support
	    IND-3/C10
	    67 Forest Street
	    Marlboro, Mass. 01752

UUCP:	    decvax!yodel!ajd
ENET:	    decwrl::rhea::yodel::ajd

"Gentlemen, surely your not going to take the word of a souless mechanical
device over that of a real flesh and blood man."

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (07/20/85)

> I think there is a tie in this category.  And the Children Shall
> Lead and Spock's Brain ought to share the silliness award.
>
> --
> 					--rick heli
> 					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

My apologies...I'm about a billion weeks behind on
this newsgroup, so I apologize if I am rehashing old
ground for some of you...

...come, come...I've always thought the silliest episode was...

               The Omega Glory

It must surely win hands down:
     "Coms....communists?   Yangs...yankees?" and the
American flag, and the Constitution of the United States?
Gosh, what a coincidence! (hehe :->)

...thanks for your indulgence...
--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (07/22/85)

In article <1304@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

> ...thanks for your indulgence...
>
>                           --- Rob DeMillo

So where's my piece of the one true cross, huh?  Hey where are you going?
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"Ahhhhhh... the smell of cuprinol and mahogany.  It excites me to...
acts of passion... acts of... ineptitude."