[net.startrek] the passing of James Doohan

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (07/10/85)

	I heard on the way in to work this morning that Jimmy Doohan,
known and loved by us as Commander Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineering
Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise, passed away yesterday due to a sudden,
massive heart attack.  Rest In Peace Jimmy, we'll miss ye.

Mike Stalnaker
seismo,cbosgd,hao !dolqci!mike
--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!decuac,cbosgd,seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-6245

		  Blow 'em all up and let God sort 'em out!

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (07/12/85)

> 	I heard on the way in to work this morning that Jimmy Doohan,
> known and loved by us as Commander Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineering
> Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise, passed away yesterday due to a sudden,
> massive heart attack.  Rest In Peace Jimmy, we'll miss ye.
>
> Mike Stalnaker

Well, after scouring the last few day's worth of newspapers, and watching
the 11 o'clock news last night,  I haven't heard *anything* regarding
James Doohan.  There wasn't even anything on Entertainment Tonight (which
is probably taped well in advance).  But if it wasn't true, why would it
be posted?

Now is a perfect time to say that the characters in Star Trek are not
immortal.   As the saying goes, "All good things have to come to an end".
Spock was only brought back because "the people demanded it".  The
Enterprise can't last forever.  And someday, Captain Kirk will have
to face death himself -- for the final time.

If he truly is dead, he will certainly be missed.  And what is going to
happen to the rest of Star Trek IV?

(No, I haven't been living under a rock the past week.  And the Buffalo media
is not as bad as it might seem to be.)
--
"As you listen...to the following...for your imagination's sake...turn off
the lights, if it's dark out.  Or close your eyes, if it's light...(unless

From the House on the Knoll, not far from the Holt...
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)
uucp: [decvax,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!acsgjjp
ARPAnet, CSnet: acsgjjp%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY         BITNET:  ACSGJJP@SUNYABVA

recko@tallis.DEC (Tim Recko LTN1-2/B17, 617/486-6220 DTN 229) (07/13/85)

>Newsgroups: net.startrek,net.sf-lovers
>Subject: The passing of James Doohan
>

>	I heard on the way in to work this morning that Jimmy Doohan,
>known and loved by us as Commander Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineering
>Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise, passed away yesterday due to a sudden,
>massive heart attack.  Rest In Peace Jimmy, we'll miss ye.
>
>Mike Stalnaker
>seismo,cbosgd,hao !dolqci!mike

this is real news to me, can anyone confirm it??

	tr (tim recko, DEC, Littleton, MA)

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear) (07/15/85)

I have not heard ANYTHING about the passing of James Doohan other then what
was said in net.startrek.  Has anyone heard ANYTHING to confirm this drastic
news?

						eliot

--
uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (07/17/85)

In article <324@dolqci.UUCP> mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:

>   I heard on the way in to work this morning that Jimmy Doohan,
>   known and loved by us as Commander Montgomery Scott, Chief
>   Engineering Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise, passed away yes-
>   terday due to a sudden, massive heart attack.  Rest In Peace
>   Jimmy, we'll miss ye.

Can anyone verify (or debunk) this story from another source?

I spent an hour last night double-checking through the last two weeks'
worth of the Los Angeles Times, and I couldn't find any reference to
Doohan's supposed death.

I also checked with the owner of a local sci-fi book shop, who would
almost certainly have heard of this event if it had actually occurred,
and she said she knew nothing about it.

Unless someone can substantiate this story further, I would assume that
either Mike S., or the news announcer he was listening to, probably made
an inadvertent error in identifying the person who died.

The best source (and the easiest to check) would probably be the "Mile-
stones" column in the July 22 edition of Time -- or the analogous column
in Newsweek, Maclean's, or other such magazines.  If THEY don't mention
Doohan's death, then he's probably still with us.  :-}
--
Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA

bmarsh@noscvax.UUCP (William C. Marsh) (07/18/85)

In article <6342@ucla-cs.ARPA> wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (Rich Wales) writes:
>In article <324@dolqci.UUCP> mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:
>
>>   I heard on the way in to work this morning that Jimmy Doohan,
>>   known and loved by us as Commander Montgomery Scott, Chief
>>   Engineering Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise, passed away yes-
>>   terday due to a sudden, massive heart attack.  Rest In Peace
>>   Jimmy, we'll miss ye.
>
>Can anyone verify (or debunk) this story from another source?

I think I know:

	Star Trek IV: The search for Scotty

They brought back spock from the dead, why not scotty?
--

Bill Marsh
Naval Ocean Systems Center

	ihnp4  \			MILNET bmarsh@nosc
	akgua   \
UUCP 	decvax 	 >------------!sdcsvax!noscvax!bmarsh
	dcdwest /
	ucbvax /

"burning the candle at both ends, twice the light in half the time..."

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear) (07/22/85)

From what  I heard from Saul Jaffe, who should have some idea of what's
going on,  James Doohan is NOT dead.  However, if I recall correctly, Saul
mentioned that Doohan did suffer a heart attack.  I have heard no official word
on this subject one way or another.

			Rumours, boys, rumours.

						eliot

zaphod@deepthot.UUCP (Lance Bailey) (07/22/85)

please tell me this is a horrible joke.  This
is terrible.  When one of the 'core' goes, I
start to feel that it will never be the same
again.  Tell us that the engineering wizard
is still with us.
--
      4     222
   4  4    2   2