[net.startrek] the controls

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (06/27/85)

<<< Excuse me sir, but didn't you mean "lock transporter on landing
	party", and not "lock phasers"? >>>

	We all realize that the sets for S.T. were minimal, and done
on a small budget, and unlike Star Wars, were not the star of the
show, but the controls have always bothered me.  Do you realize that
not a single control or indicator on the entire ship was labeled?
Okay, so the regular man at that post would know the controls, but
how about someone filling in during an emergency?  Not even the
emergency type equipment was labeled!  Everyone would have to know
every single control on the ship!!!

	That, and the three slides on the transporter controls.  Has
anyone ever seen a show were all three were not slid together?  Why
not one slide control?  (I know, they built the set with three.)  So
why not slide just one on an occasion.

	Actually, other than the controls, I never noticed any
inconsistencies during the first runs.  (That rules out the problems
of not using second season technology in the first season.)  In
fact, the only other thing that bothered me was "Eden".  I almost
get embarrassed for G.R. each time I see it.  I mean, just because
SPOCK has ears...
	discalimer:  If royalty were still in power,
		     I'd be the King of Fools

...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

alb@alice.UUCP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (06/29/85)

The interesting thing about the ST controls was that they were
actually functional.  The controls really did do things (in terms
of lighting, triggering other effects, etc.)  This did create
problems, though.  For instance, legend has it that, upon rewiring
the helmsman's panel for a special lighting effect, the producer
instructed George Takei to press a certain button at a certain
time to start the sequence.  George adamantly refused, insisting
that THAT button was used to fire the phasers and for nothing else.
The panel had to be rewired again...

ayers@convexs.UUCP (07/04/85)

/* ---------- "the controls" ---------- */
...Okay, so the regular man at that post would know the controls, but
how about someone filling in during an emergency?  Not even the
emergency type equipment was labeled!  Everyone would have to know
every single control on the ship!!!...
/* End of text ----------------------- */

You forget the many Navy influences on the show.  Next time you get a
chance, talk to someone who has served on "sub" duty and see what you
have to know (no matter WHAT your "regular" duties)...

blues, II

(SNEAKIN!)

thiel@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Stephen W. Thiel) (07/04/85)

> Do you realize that
> not a single control or indicator on the entire ship was labeled?
> Okay, so the regular man at that post would know the controls, but
> how about someone filling in during an emergency?

Even worse, did you ever notice that EVERYBODY seems to be able to
operate the controls?  On more than one occasion, nasty villain types
took over the Enterprise and were able to use the unmarked controls
with NO instruction.  For example, the Kelvans were able to run the
Big E with just about zero training time, and in "Day of the Dove", the
Klingons had little trouble running the ship from Engineering.

Talk about "user-friendly"...

--

                                         Steve Thiel
                               ...ihnp4!ut-ngp!thiel

"Qui nos rodunt confudatur et cum iustis non scribantur"  (:-))

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (07/04/85)

> Do you realize that
> not a single control or indicator on the entire ship was labeled?
> Okay, so the regular man at that post would know the controls, but
> how about someone filling in during an emergency?  Not even the
> emergency type equipment was labeled!  Everyone would have to know
> every single control on the ship!!!
>
> ...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

I can think of one pretty good rationale for this situation, based on
some things that go on in _Downbelow Station_ by C.J. Cherryh.  In that
book, a civilian space station is taken over by the military because
an invasion is feared.  The military commander's first order is that
all section identifiers and "you are here" type maps and such be
removed.  This makes some sense;  people who have never been on the
station before (invaders) will have a lot tougher time getting around without
all the helpful little clues the citizens were used to.

Granted, the Enterprise is not so large and complex as an orbiting
station, and has seldom been boarded, but I think the same reasoning
applies.  Remember the trouble Sulu and Chekov had with the controls
of the Klingon ship in TSFS?  (I don't remember if that was because
none of them could read Klingonaase or what...)

Sadly, there is some evidence against this point of view from the
series.  Nobody ever really seemed to have that hard a time figuring
out what was what in spite of no labels...e.g. the Kelvans in
"By Any Other Name," Dr. Sevrin's gang in "The Way to Eden," and
Khan's bunch in TWOK.  In most of these cases, the "boarders" were
posessed of "superior" intellect, so I suppose that would explain
their quick familiarization with the workings of the Enterprise.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

erosenth@aecom.UUCP (Elazar Rosenthal) (07/08/85)

> <<< Excuse me sir, but didn't you mean "lock transporter on landing
> 	party", and not "lock phasers"? >>>
>
> 	We all realize that the sets for S.T. were minimal, and done
> on a small budget, and unlike Star Wars, were not the star of the
> show, but the controls have always bothered me.  Do you realize that
> not a single control or indicator on the entire ship was labeled?
> Okay, so the regular man at that post would know the controls, but
> how about someone filling in during an emergency?  Not even the
> emergency type equipment was labeled!  Everyone would have to know
> every single control on the ship!!!
>
> 	That, and the three slides on the transporter controls.  Has
> anyone ever seen a show were all three were not slid together?  Why
> not one slide control?  (I know, they built the set with three.)  So
> why not slide just one on an occasion.
>
> 	Actually, other than the controls, I never noticed any
> inconsistencies during the first runs.  (That rules out the problems
> of not using second season technology in the first season.)  In
> fact, the only other thing that bothered me was "Eden".  I almost
> get embarrassed for G.R. each time I see it.  I mean, just because
> SPOCK has ears...
> --
> 	discalimer:  If royalty were still in power,
> 		     I'd be the King of Fools
>
> ...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

I always liked the idea that the controls where not labled or "modernized" otherwize they would become dated . (rember the led watches in Battlestar)

ix925@sdcc6.UUCP (Steve Lau) (07/10/85)

	Has anyone noticed the LACK of controls
on board the Enterprise? For such a complex ship, you
would think that there would be a lot more controls
then they have. My only explanation for this and for
the lack of labels is that maybe the controls had more
then one use. When in flight between planets, there
would be no need for controls to run short range
planet scanners or atmosphere readings or
"dyno-scanners." I say that instead of taking up so
much room, they would automatically switch the same
controls to stuff like monitoring navigation, warp
engines etc. If they did label them, it would be
confusing and would take up a lot of space.
     This still doesn't explain how everyone could run
the ship, but remember, the people running the
Enterprise are highly intelligent. Maybe they are
forced to learn all the controls. It's a
semi-military enviorment and they could be easily trained.

                 Steve Lau
    		 UCSD Academic Computing Center

       "Feedom?! You speak the sacred words!!"

           "You're so obesessed."
		"OBSESSED?! I'm not obsessed!!"

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (07/11/85)

> 	We all realize that the sets for S.T. were minimal, and done
> on a small budget, and unlike Star Wars, were not the star of the
> show, but the controls have always bothered me.  Do you realize that
> not a single control or indicator on the entire ship was labeled?
> Okay, so the regular man at that post would know the controls, but
> how about someone filling in during an emergency?  Not even the
> emergency type equipment was labeled!  Everyone would have to know
> every single control on the ship!!!

And not one brand or manufacturer name on the whole ship!  Come
on, those subcomponents would have been subcontracted out.  The
San Francisco Navy Yards couldn't build EVERYTHING!  Take a look
at a twentieth century Naval ship or Army post some time.  Keyboards
by I.B.M.  Ammo by Winchester.  Microwave ovens by Litton, etc. etc.

Picture how much more natural the Enterprise would have looked with
some manufacturer and model names, a few even in English.  If you
think I've been drinking Glow Water, watch a tape of Blade Runner
a few times....

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (07/11/85)

]From: erosenth@aecom.UUCP (Elazar Rosenthal)
]
]I always liked the idea that the controls where not labled or "modernized"
]otherwize they would become dated . (rember the led watches in Battlestar)

Too late, look at the ship's chronometer. It is a MECHANICAL digital clock.
(There is a great shot of it in "The Naked Time".)

By the way, the labelling problem seems to have been licked by the time of
the second movie. Take a good close look when Kahn is searching the
Reliant's controls looking for the override.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (07/13/85)

In article <2138@sdcc6.UUCP> ix925@sdcc6.UUCP (Steve Lau) writes:
>	Has anyone noticed the LACK of controls
>on board the Enterprise? For such a complex ship, you
>would think that there would be a lot more controls
>then they have. My only explanation for this and for
>the lack of labels is that maybe the controls had more
>then one use. ...
>I say that instead of taking up so
>much room, they would automatically switch the same
>controls to stuff like monitoring navigation, warp
>engines etc. If they did label them, it would be
>confusing and would take up a lot of space.

Even is this ancient, archaic day and age we have software labelable
switches, generally by putting LED or LCD arrays below a knob or switch
or whatever.  I think that this would not be a lost technology.  I
suspect that this was just simplicity for the set designers; they
didn't have to invent labels for the controls, most of which are never
used.
		Ken Arnold

		Ken

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/13/85)

In article <418@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>]From: erosenth@aecom.UUCP (Elazar Rosenthal)
>]
>]I always liked the idea that the controls where not labled or "modernized"
>]otherwize they would become dated . (rember the led watches in Battlestar)
>
>Too late, look at the ship's chronometer. It is a MECHANICAL digital clock.
>(There is a great shot of it in "The Naked Time".)

That's another thing, when the Enterprise travelled through time (like
in 'The Naked Time'), what did the chronometer use as a reference when it
started going backwards?  Perhaps they've discovered absolute time by the 23rd
Century.

Chris Andersen

--
"Roads?  Where we're going we don't need any roads!"

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (07/16/85)

You guys are missing the obvious explanation.  Any self-respectingly flexible
system will have dynamically labeled buttons.  Probably some sort of
holographic projector built into each button--a set of phased array lasers
might do rather nicely.  Since the labels have to continue to work on
emergency power, they should consume minimal energy.  Therefore they only
broadcast light in the direction of someone's head.  The movie camera
doesn't look like someone's head to the buttons, so we don't see the
inscriptions on film.

In fact, with that much control of directionality it'd be a cinch to put
3-dimensional icons onto the buttons.  That'd make it even easier for
Klingons to take over the ship.   =-O

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (07/16/85)

Why should there even be buttons.  You would think that by that time direct
brain-implanted radio-linked computer taps would be very common.  The
authentication problem, how to determine if someone is off duty and
commands made while dreaming are all interesting problems.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (07/18/85)

> In article <2138@sdcc6.UUCP> ix925@sdcc6.UUCP (Steve Lau) writes:
> >	Has anyone noticed the LACK of controls
> >on board the Enterprise? For such a complex ship, you
> >would think that there would be a lot more controls
> >then they have. My only explanation for this and for
> >the lack of labels is that maybe the controls had more
> >then one use. ...

In case you don't follow modern avionic engineering, the latest
designs have just a few touch sensitive CRTs that do everything.

There is even a GM prototype that has one touch sensitive CRT
replace every control in the car (from radio to climate control).

Why shouldn't the Enterprise have as good if not better?

--
Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (07/25/85)

> You guys are missing the obvious explanation.  Any self-respectingly flexible
> system will have dynamically labeled buttons.  Probably some sort of
> holographic projector built into each button--a set of phased array lasers
> might do rather nicely.  Since the labels have to continue to work on
> emergency power, they should consume minimal energy.  Therefore they only

...etc

   Consume minimal power?  Well, that rules out lasers!  For their size,
lasers use an enormous amount of energy.  I don't remember the exact
figures though...
--
     Adrian Zannin
 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin

uhclem@trsvax (07/26/85)

<Why won't anyone call Orkin?>

>Do you realize that not a single control or indicator on the
>entire ship was labeled?

At first I agreed with this statement.  I had never seen anything
written down.  Then I watched closely the shows that the local
station ran the last couple of nights and what do you know, there
were legends on lamps and switches.

Those of you who disbelieve should review your tapes of "G7".  That's
the show where the shuttlecraft gets pulled down onto the planet that
is inhabited by 12ft mechanical care-bears.  There are two shots near
the end where Spocko dumps the shuttlecraft fuel.  One or both of them
show most of the control panel and every switch or light has
some legend above them.  Most don't make any sense except for one clearly
marked "JETTISON FUEL".  It's just a toggle switch, apparently with no
safety or anything.  Nice thing to put on the front console.
Anyway, I realize that this was not on the Enterprise.  However, I
also saw a shot of a console on the big E in some episode that also had
some descriptions.
I have forgotten which show now.  I think it was either "Court Martial"
or "Miri".

"Why did they shoot the movies with a white sock over the lens?"

						"Thank you, Uh Clem."
						Frank Durda IV
						@ <trsvax!uhclem>