[net.startrek] videodisks

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/24/85)

> From: bu-cs!wtm	(Tom Meier)

> Is it true that the laser
> disk market is going down the tubes, and the people like RCA have
> sold out and discontinued there Laser Disk line?

Whether the laser disk market is going down the tubes is anyone's guess.
As for RCA, well, yes, they tossed in the towel on their videodisk line,
but they weren't laser disks. RCA was the manufacturer of the infamous
stylus videodisks.

12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/27/85)

The word I hear is that Laser videodisks (not the grungy RCA type) are
doing quite well, with the player population expanding by something like
50 per cent per year.

LaserDiscs are still something of a specialty market for those who demand
broadcast quality video and source level quality in their home video.

In the absence of a total change in broadcasting practices, even the new
stereo-TV will not deliver satisfying sound.

VHS and Beta Hi-Fi prerecorded tapes can attain a suitable sound quality,
but their picture resolution (even Super-Beta) falls far short of LV's
broadcast quality.  Picture quality on 8mm is reportedly no better.

The only threat to LV would be 1/2 inch VCR's using high band recording
on a metal tape.  Such tapes would be somewhat expensive, and unplayable
on present 1/2 inch VCR's.
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (07/30/85)

>> Is it true that the laser
>> disk market is going down the tubes, and the people like RCA have
>> sold out and discontinued there Laser Disk line?
>
>Whether the laser disk market is going down the tubes is anyone's guess.
>As for RCA, well, yes, they tossed in the towel on their videodisk line,
>but they weren't laser disks. RCA was the manufacturer of the infamous
>stylus videodisks.
>--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)
***
Smile when you say that!  :-)  I have one of those 'infamous' machines
and it works quite nicely for the $170 investment, thank you.  We were
watching disks in high quality video and *stereo* for $26 purchase, $2
rental, when the rest of you were scrabbling for $90 VHS tapes and rentals
were nonexistant.  And Star Trek came out on the RCA disk first! The 12
episodes of Trek on disk are still available, and are still less expensive
than the corrisponding tapes.  (The good ones, 'City on the Edge of Forever',
'Trouble with Tribbles', etc. are there.)

Sure it's obsolete, but we didn't kick in much money, and it was a great
way to find out whether we needed a home video system.  We got a lot of
use out of it.  (Still do, although the beta gets more play these days.)
Now, when RCA throws in the towel on VHS, that'll be something.
--
__
	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/02/85)

In article <531@wjvax.UUCP> ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) writes:
>watching disks in high quality video and *stereo* for $26 purchase, $2

The CED discs I've seen had a picture that was poorer than a LaserDisc
dubbed on a VHS tape at the 2 hour speed.  A typical comparision: the trailing
credits on STTMP.  They are easy to read on LV, rather hard to read on
Beta, slightly worse yet on VHS, and much worse on CED.  CED discs also
tend to have gliches in vertical lines and some slight skipping in most of
the demos I've seen.  On a 15 inch set, CED was passable, on a projection
set it was terrible.

BTW, a great LV demo is Koyakanatasi (give or take a few letters) when
played on a GOOD projector and high end stereo system.  The cloud motion
sequences are positively Mesermizing.