[net.startrek] various replies

recko@verdi.DEC (Tim Recko LTN1-2/B17, 617/486-6220 DTN 229) (07/25/85)

>Subject: Re: An Original ST Pilot?

>It is true that a pilot for Star Trek was never shown as such on TV, however,
>two were indeed filmed.  The first one no longer exists and was never shown
>(what a shame!).  The second was the Pike story which does not exist
>anymore in its original form.  It was recut with the additional footage
>added to become "The Menagerie".

>Betsy Cvetic

whoa, whoa, let's get this straight.  'The Cage,' starring Jeffrey Hunter
as Captain Pike, was the original pilot for ST and was later incorporated
into the episode 'The Menagerie.'  It ('The Cage') was never shown on tv
in its original form, and, according to the man himself, Gene R., no colour
prints exist today.  however, he did have an uncut, unedited, black and
white version of the original 'Cage' when i saw him a few years ago.  (quite
an interesting experience for a ST fan, check it out if you ever get the
opportunity.)

'Where No Man Has Gone Before' was ST's second pilot, accepted by NBC, a
copy of which i am told is owned by the Smithsonian as an example of 20th
century tv sci-fi.  this episode starred Shatner as Kirk with some of
the regulars that we know and love today.  it was, of course, the episode
where the Enterprise goes into the barrior at the edge of the galaxy
which amplifies the ESP ability of two crew members Gary Mitchell and
Elisabeth Deyner (sp, i don't have my concordance handy), and is shown
just like any other episode is shown today. (remember the glowing eyes?)

>Subject: Re: Re: Land craft and our heroes.

>> transportation device.  There was that lady leiutenant in "The Paradise
>> Syndrome" that was gunned down by that airplane.  This brings about another
>> trivia question:  What kind of plane was it?  (I could even ask what the
>> leiutenant's name was...)
>>

>Her first name was Angela, and she had been engaged to Robert(?)
>Tomlinson before he was killed in "Balance of Terror".
>--
>	Brian C. Carty 		AT&T Bell Laboratories - Piscataway, NJ

A guess is Martinez for her last name (no flames, please, i am guessing),
but the episode that she was gunned down (i am glad someone else thinks
that she got it in that episode) is 'Shore Leave.'  'Paradise Syndrome'
is where James T., in a state of amnesia lives with the indians and marries
Miramanee (sp).  (not to be confused with 'This Side of Paradise' with
the spores.)

>Subject: "The Beatles Look" in the 23rd Century?

>Checkov has the beatles look!

>He was the only person there with long hair.  Anyone have any clue about this?
>Engineer LaSalle (or DeSalle or whatever his name was) had short hair.
>Jim, Scotty, Spock, Bones, and Sulu all had short hair.  My memory fails on
>me now...did Checkov ever get his hair cut?
>--
>"Just like that duck,                            Peter Merchant

That was planned, of course.  it seems to me that Roddenberry talks quite
a bit about wanting to get someone to appease the 'young people' of the
day, and satisfy the Russians complaining that there was no Russian member
of the crew.  both were satisfied in the person of Chekov.

	tr (tim recko, DEC, Littleton)

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (08/06/85)

> whoa, whoa, let's get this straight.  'The Cage,' starring Jeffrey Hunter
> as Captain Pike, was the original pilot for ST and was later incorporated
> into the episode 'The Menagerie.'  It ('The Cage') was never shown on tv
> in its original form, and, according to the man himself, Gene R., no colour
> prints exist today.  however, he did have an uncut, unedited, black and
> white version of the original 'Cage' when i saw him a few years ago.  (quite
> an interesting experience for a ST fan, check it out if you ever get the
> opportunity.)
>
> 	tr (tim recko, DEC, Littleton)

	Were all those color prints destroyed recently?  I ask because
in January, 1975, I went to a Star Trek Convention in NYC where "The
Cage" was shown (in color).  I believe it was 16mm (bigger than my
father's old Super 8).  Why don't those prints exist today?  What happened?

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871