[net.startrek] A new topic to ponder

laman@ncr-tp.UUCP (Mike Laman) (08/06/85)

We have all heard the comments about "hearing" the Enterprise whoosh by.
As a matter of fact those same comments are currently being reiterated.
Well, I'll start a new topic.  Now after the Enterprise zips by, we see
it fading off into the distance.  There is no problem finding shows where
the Enterprise flys by a speeds faster than the speed of light.

I propose that when the Enterprise zips by faster than the speed of light,
the we should NOT be able to see it from behind since the light "particles"
coming from behind it would not be able to catch up to it, bounce off, and
come back for use to "see" them.  I feel that the particles shouldn't be
able to reflect off of the back of the Enterprise (since they aren't fast
enough to "touch" it), so we shouldn't be able to see it.  I would think
we would see a faint outline on places where the light would reflect.

(Please no comments about how unintersting it would be to see the Enterprise
 coming towards us one second, then a picture of (nearly) "invisible"
 Enterprise flying away from us.)

I am NOT a physics expert, so be merciful and polite.  I'm just bring up
something that I hope others will find interesting to discuss.

I don't have the guts to include net.physics.  We probably should, but I'm
sure the topic will slowly get off the subject and aggravate the net.phyics
readers.

		Mike Laman
		UUCP: {ucbvax,philabs,sdcsla}!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!laman

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (08/07/85)

In article <255@ncr-tp.UUCP> laman@ncr-tp.UUCP (Mike Laman) writes:
>I propose that when the Enterprise zips by faster than the speed of light,
>the we should NOT be able to see it from behind since the light "particles"
>coming from behind it would not be able to catch up to it, bounce off, and
>come back for use to "see" them.

I think this is only partly correct.  True, the photons coming from
directly behind the ship won't hit it.  However, photons from other
directions will reflect off the ship.

Consider the analogy with a fast-moving car and a bicycle.  The bicycle
is unlikely to rear-end the car, but it can easily run into it from the
side.  In this case, the bicycle is likely to bounce off to the side,
but light tends to disperse in many directions when hitting a textured
surface.

So, the ship might look a little dim, but it should still be quite
visible.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (08/07/85)

> I don't have the guts to include net.physics.  We probably should, but I'm
> sure the topic will slowly get off the subject and aggravate the net.phyics
> readers.
>
> 		Mike Laman

Also, the folks on net.physics would laugh and tell us that nothing
can travel faster than light...

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (08/08/85)

> We have all heard the comments about "hearing" the Enterprise whoosh by.
> As a matter of fact those same comments are currently being reiterated.
> Well, I'll start a new topic.  Now after the Enterprise zips by, we see
> it fading off into the distance.  There is no problem finding shows where
> the Enterprise flys by a speeds faster than the speed of light.
>
> I propose that when the Enterprise zips by faster than the speed of light,
> the we should NOT be able to see it from behind since the light "particles"
> coming from behind it would not be able to catch up to it, bounce off, and
> come back for use to "see" them.  I feel that the particles shouldn't be
> able to reflect off of the back of the Enterprise (since they aren't fast
> enough to "touch" it), so we shouldn't be able to see it.  I would think
> we would see a faint outline on places where the light would reflect.

You've got this slightly backwards...

Objects traveling FTL (if it is possible) can be seen from the rear.
The photons are merely left behind (much the same way a FTSound plane
leaves its sound behind) albeit extremely redshifted. An observer
in front of an object moving FTL would not see anything, since
photon speeds are not additive and a photon would never be
able to "leave" the forward-facing surface. (Of course, this leaves
the question of "what the hell are you doing standing in front og
something moving faster-than-light? :-) )

> I am NOT a physics expert, so be merciful and polite.  I'm just bring up
> something that I hope others will find interesting to discuss.
>
> I don't have the guts to include net.physics.  We probably should, but I'm
> sure the topic will slowly get off the subject and aggravate the net.phyics
> readers.
>
> 		Mike Laman
> 		UUCP: {ucbvax,philabs,sdcsla}!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!laman

I feel a little obnoxious posting this, since I just posted an astronomy
related article in sf-lovers. (I'm a grad in astronomy.) But, you asked...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	"...That's enough, that's enough!