[net.startrek] An Original ST Pilot?

andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (07/20/85)

"The Menagerie" was shown recently here, and a friend of mine presented the
idea that Captain Pike's adventures on Talos IV comprised the original pilot
of the Star Trek series.  I told him that there was no pilot for the series,
and the list of ST episodes distributed recently on the Net does not mention
one. So, the question is, is he on drugs, or what?

Trivia question : How many ST episodes show scenes from the history of
the ST universe, i.e. before Kirk became Captain of the Enterprise?
(Hmm. A paradox.  In those series with time travel, parts of the story
take place chronologically before Kirk became Captain, but at the same
time he _is_ Captain.)

And finally, that everpresent generic background chatter : "ER section,
we read only 4.5 here. Do you confirm?  Gravity is down to .8"
--
Andrew Folkins               YABS : If you think education is expensive,
ihnp4!alberta!andrew                consider the price of ignorance.

alb@alice.UUCP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (07/20/85)

You are quite wrong, there were three pilots to Star Trek.
The first, The Cage, was what was cut up to make The Menagerie
when Paramount couldn't make episodes for those two weeks.
The second is in ''Where No Man Has Gone Before'' (thank
God they didn't use that!).  The third, of course, is what
you see now.

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (07/22/85)

>"The Menagerie" was shown recently here, and a friend of mine presented the
>idea that Captain Pike's adventures on Talos IV comprised the original pilot
>of the Star Trek series.  I told him that there was no pilot for the series,
>and the list of ST episodes distributed recently on the Net does not mention
>one. So, the question is, is he on drugs, or what?

It is true that a pilot for Star Trek was never shown as such on TV, however,
two were indeed filmed.  The first one no longer exists and was never shown
(what a shame!).  The second was the Pike story which does not exist
anymore in its original form.  It was recut with the additional footage
added to become "The Menagerie".

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

mda@whuxcc.UUCP (07/22/85)

	       ** THIS PAGE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK **

Star Trek was (and probably still is) one of the only TV shows that
had TWO pilots.  The first pilot, submitted to NBC around 1964 or
so, was the 70-minute-long "Menagerie," written by Gene Roddenbury.
As you may have guessed, it consisted of the film that is transmitted
to the Enterprise by the Talosians in "The Menagerie, Parts I and II"
and featured, among other things, the Satanic-looking Mr. Spock, Captain
Christopher Pike, and Majel Barrett (sp) playing Number 1, who was
Captain Pike's first officer.

NBC, despite some of it's executives shouting "Great!", rejected the pilot,
but they asked Roddenbury to make a second pilot.

The second pilot featured the almost-complete Enterprise crew, especially
Bill Shatner as Captain Kirk, and Salley Kellerman guest-starred in
"Where No Man Has Gone Before," which later became a ST episode in its
entirety.  NBC accepted this pilot, and I guess the rest is history.

				Mark Abramowitz
				Bell Communications Research
				Morristown, NJ
				...!ihnp4!whuxcc!mda

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (07/23/85)

In article <3319@drutx.UUCP> eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) writes:
>It is true that a pilot for Star Trek was never shown as such on TV, however,
>two were indeed filmed.  The first one no longer exists and was never shown
>(what a shame!).  The second was the Pike story which does not exist
>anymore in its original form.  It was recut with the additional footage
>added to become "The Menagerie".

not true, as i'm sure many people will point out.  "The Cage" was the
first pilot and eventually became part of the two part show "The
Menagerie".  the second was "Where No Man Has Gone Before".  WNMHGB was
aired as the third show in the series.  the order and naming of the two
pilots is confirmed by "The Making of Startrek", which was written
between the second and third seasons of ST.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (07/23/85)

In article <593@alberta.UUCP> andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) writes:
>"The Menagerie" was shown recently here, and a friend of mine presented the
>idea that Captain Pike's adventures on Talos IV comprised the original pilot
>of the Star Trek series.  I told him that there was no pilot for the series,
>and the list of ST episodes distributed recently on the Net does not mention
>one. So, the question is, is he on drugs, or what?

"The Cage" was the first pilot, which the network did
not buy.  It was used to expand "The Menagerie" into two episodes when the
budget required it.  (Otherwise we could speculate on the de-aging of Spock;
a sort of Deadly Years in reverse.)  The second pilot was "Where No Man
Has Gone Before".  NBC bought it, obviously.
So, the question is, are you on arrogant pills, or what?

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (07/24/85)

> "The Menagerie" was shown recently here, and a friend of mine presented the
> idea that Captain Pike's adventures on Talos IV comprised the original pilot
> of the Star Trek series.  I told him that there was no pilot for the series,
> and the list of ST episodes distributed recently on the Net does not mention
> one. So, the question is, is he on drugs, or what?
>
> Andrew Folkins               YABS : If you think education is expensive,
> ihnp4!alberta!andrew                consider the price of ignorance.

...'fraid your friend is quite right. There were two ST pilots.
Captain Pike was the original Captain of the Enterprise in the
Roddenberry pilot "the menagerie." (same name) I cannot remember
the whole story, but it necessitated Roddenberry making a
new pilot. By this time (1 year later) the fellow who played
Pike moved on to other projects, and Roddenberry had some
other idea...like taking the non-emotions from Number One and
giving them to Spock. (The original idea for Spock, and Vulcans
in general, was to have them WILDLY emotional.)

   The changes are evident in the new captain, the new Spock,
the new look of the Enterprise in the second pilot...
(can anyone guess?) "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

   At some point, Roddenberry thought it would be neat to
use the old Menagerie footage in a new ST episode...thereby
making the two-parter that we all know and love...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."

stevenh@tekig4.UUCP (Steve Herring) (07/24/85)

> >"The Menagerie" was shown recently here, and a friend of mine presented the
> >idea that Captain Pike's adventures on Talos IV comprised the original pilot
> >of the Star Trek series.  I told him that there was no pilot for the series,
> >and the list of ST episodes distributed recently on the Net does not mention
> >one. So, the question is, is he on drugs, or what?
>
> It is true that a pilot for Star Trek was never shown as such on TV, however,
> two were indeed filmed.  The first one no longer exists and was never shown
> (what a shame!).  The second was the Pike story which does not exist
> anymore in its original form.  It was recut with the additional footage
> added to become "The Menagerie".
>
> Betsy Cvetic
> ihnp4!drutx!eac

Whoa!	My understanding is:

The first pilot is/was the Pike story used to make the Menagerie story.
	I believe the original pilot is still around somewhere but is only in
	black and white or something like that. Can someone verify this? Is
	there anyone out there who has seen the Pike story in its original
	form and would like to fill us in on the parts that aren't in the
	Menagerie?

The second pilot is the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before." This is the
	episode with ESP. Also this is the only episode that McCoy doesn't
	appear in since it was a pilot and Deforest Kelley (no spelling flames)
	hadn't been cast yet. Trivia question: Who played the doctor/surgeon in
	this episode? Also, this is the only episode where we see a phaser
	rifle.

If I'm mistaken, send flames to ...!tektronix!tekig4!stevenh since Tektronix no
longer lets us read net.flame.

Steve Herring
...!tektronix!tekig4!stevenh

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/24/85)

In article <3319@drutx.UUCP> eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) writes:

>>"The Menagerie" was shown recently here, and a friend of mine presented the
>>idea that Captain Pike's adventures on Talos IV comprised the original pilot
>>of the Star Trek series.  I told him that there was no pilot for the series,
>>and the list of ST episodes distributed recently on the Net does not mention
>>one. So, the question is, is he on drugs, or what?
>
>It is true that a pilot for Star Trek was never shown as such on TV, however,
>two were indeed filmed.  The first one no longer exists and was never shown
>(what a shame!).  The second was the Pike story which does not exist
>anymore in its original form.  It was recut with the additional footage
>added to become "The Menagerie".

Huh?  I think you may have your story a little screwed up here.  The first
pilot for Star Trek was "The Cage".  It was rejected by NBC for various reasons
but the project was given a second chance when they gave the go ahead for
the second pilot "Where No Man has Gone Before".  This episode was shown on
TV and the rest is history.  But they didn't want to waste all that had been
put into the original pilot so they sliced it into a two hour episode called
"The Menagerie".  The only color prints of the cage left are those that
are a part of "The Managerie".  There are complete copies of the original
pilot but they are in black and white (I saw it once when Roddenberry came
to our school.  It was great and would have made a great series, even without
Kirk or McCoy).

Chris Andersen

--
tektronix!azure!chrisa

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (07/27/85)

In article <593@alberta.UUCP> andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) writes:
    "The Menagerie" was shown recently here, and a friend of mine presented the
    idea that Captain Pike's adventures on Talos IV comprised the
	original pilot
    of the Star Trek series.  I told him that there was no pilot
	for the series,
    and the list of ST episodes distributed recently on the Net does
	not mention
    one. So, the question is, is he on drugs, or what?

You're both on drugs.  There were two pilots.  The first was "The Menagerie"
or "The Cage".  NBC didn't particularly like it so they sent Gene back to do
it again.  That was "Where no man has gone before."

--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: ...!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax,hplabs,allegra,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!uscvax!tli

doug@escher.UUCP (Douglas J Freyburger) (08/08/85)

> The first pilot is/was the Pike story used to make the Menagerie story.
> 	I believe the original pilot is still around somewhere but is only in
> 	black and white or something like that. Can someone verify this? Is
> 	there anyone out there who has seen the Pike story in its original
> 	form and would like to fill us in on the parts that aren't in the
> 	Menagerie?
> Steve Herring
> ...!tektronix!tekig4!stevenh

I saw the original pilot at a Star Trek convention I went
to in Niagara Falls 8-10 years ago.  It is in color, but
it is on a poor copy in 16mm film.  Sparks and streaks, and
a little wobble, but still watchable.  I didn't notice any
major cuts compared to the double TV version, but little
scenes and pieces of scenes could well have been missing.

The studio had detroyed all copies of the film they had
after the show was cancelled, but someone had a 16mm copy
in their closet somewhere.  Someone got hold of it and
started making copies, so there are plenty out there now
(as of several years ago).

Some of the controls on the bridge are more interesting
looking in the old version.   The individual viewscreens
are on stalks like the bendable-neck desk lights that used
to be popular.  More oo-ah than those odd things that fold
out with the buzzing noise.  There was an added shimmer in
the main viewscreen coming in and out of warp drive, too.
I guess their computer image generation wasn't supposed to
be as nice as the on used by Kirk and Co.

Doug Freyburger		DOUG@JPL-VLSI, DOUG@JPL-ROBOTICS,
JPL 171-235		...escher!doug, doug@aerospace,
Pasadena, CA 91109	etc.