[net.startrek] An Original ST Pilot

msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) (08/08/85)

> In article <593@alberta.UUCP> andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) writes:
(short discussion on "Menagerie" as pilot)
> "The Cage" was the first pilot, which the network did
> not buy.  It was used to expand "The Menagerie" into two episodes when the
> budget required it.  (Otherwise we could speculate on the de-aging of Spock;
> a sort of Deadly Years in reverse.)  The second pilot was "Where No Man
> Has Gone Before".  NBC bought it, obviously.
> So, the question is, are you on arrogant pills, or what?

I'm not a Trekkie, though I am a Trek fan.  My understanding of the origin
of the series is a little different, though.  I thought that when NBC saw
"WNMHGB", they said "That's good, but this is SF - we need a monster!"  And
therefore "Man-Trap" was born.  Therefore, "WNMHGB" was the first show filmed,
"MT" was the first episode shown in the series.

Am I right?
| From the deranged synapse of:                            |
|                       Michael Frank                      |
|                       path: rayssd!msf                   |