[net.startrek] Balance of Terror

wix@bergil.DEC (Jack Wickwire) (07/23/84)

This is being forwarded through me to NET.STARTREK. I only do some basic
formatting and I am not responsible for its remarkably small content this
time. All responses sent to me will be forwarded to the author.

Early Episodes

Two minor interesting things about "Balance of Terror" -- a female
officer is addressed as "Mister", and what they call phasers look a
lot more like photon torpedoes.

--------
PDDB

morrell@hplabsb.UUCP (07/17/85)

I just saw Balance of Terror last night and was reminded of how good
an episode it was. Kirk had to make a lot of tough tactical decisions.
I think it ranks in the top ten episodes at least, if not the top 5.

By the way, I was watching the credits and noticed that the Romulan officer
who gets reduced two steps in rank for breaking radio silence is played
by Lawrence Montaigne who also played Stonn in Amok Time.
Isn't someone compiling a list of actors who appeared in more than one episode?
(Still, Diana Muldaur has the prize for being in the most number of episodes.)

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (07/25/85)

> I just saw Balance of Terror last night and was reminded of how good
> an episode it was. Kirk had to make a lot of tough tactical decisions.
> I think it ranks in the top ten episodes at least, if not the top 5.
>
> By the way, I was watching the credits and noticed that the Romulan officer
> who gets reduced two steps in rank for breaking radio silence is played
> by Lawrence Montaigne who also played Stonn in Amok Time.
> Isn't someone compiling a list of actors who appeared in more than one episode?
> (Still, Diana Muldaur has the prize for being in the most number of episodes.)

   The actor who played the Romulan commander is the same actor who played
Spock's father in "Journey to Babel".  His name is Mark Leonard.

--
     Adrian Zannin
 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (07/25/85)

> > I just saw Balance of Terror last night and was reminded of how good
> > an episode it was. Kirk had to make a lot of tough tactical decisions.
> > I think it ranks in the top ten episodes at least, if not the top 5.
> >
> > By the way, I was watching the credits and noticed that the Romulan officer
> > who gets reduced two steps in rank for breaking radio silence is played
> > by Lawrence Montaigne who also played Stonn in Amok Time.
> > Isn't someone compiling a list of actors who appeared in more than one episode?
> > (Still, Diana Muldaur has the prize for being in the most number of episodes.)
>
>    The actor who played the Romulan commander is the same actor who played
> Spock's father in "Journey to Babel".  His name is Mark Leonard.

And also played a Klingon in Star Trek:  The Motion Picture.  This
means Lenard has played characters of three different non-human races.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) (08/09/85)

In article <1983@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:
>> I just saw Balance of Terror last night and was reminded of how good
>> an episode it was. Kirk had to make a lot of tough tactical decisions.
>> I think it ranks in the top ten episodes at least, if not the top 5.
>>
>> By the way, I was watching the credits and noticed that the Romulan officer
>> who gets reduced two steps in rank for breaking radio silence is played
>> by Lawrence Montaigne who also played Stonn in Amok Time.
>> Isn't someone compiling a list of actors who appeared in more than one episode?
>> (Still, Diana Muldaur has the prize for being in the most number of episodes.)
>
>   The actor who played the Romulan commander is the same actor who played
>Spock's father in "Journey to Babel".  His name is Mark Leonard.

Didn't Mark Lenard (I believe this is the correct spelling) also play Sarek
in the episide where Abe Lincoln appeared?  (Sorry folks, can't remember the
name of the episode right now.)
                                       Ed

morgan@h-sc1.UUCP (windsor morgan) (08/11/85)

> Didn't Mark Lenard (I believe this is the correct spelling) also play Sarek
> in the episide where Abe Lincoln appeared?  (Sorry folks, can't remember the
> name of the episode right now.)

     Actually, the Vulcan in that episode, 'The Savage Curtain,' was named
Surak, the founding father of the current Vulcan culture. His cry of
'Help me, Spock, help me!' will live forever as one of the most obviously
faked cries in Star Trek (in my mind at least).
--
'Verily, there be no leader as wise as the Vision!'

                                   Windsor Morgan
                                   (Starting September 11, 1985)
                                   Dunster House B-12
                                   Harvard College
                                   Cambridge, MA 02138
                                   {ihnp4,decvax}!seismo!harvard!h-sc1!morgan

sag@ihlpl.UUCP (Gore) (08/12/85)

> Didn't Mark Lenard (I believe this is the correct spelling) also play Sarek
> in the episide where Abe Lincoln appeared?  (Sorry folks, can't remember the
> name of the episode right now.)
>                                        Ed

Sarek wasn't in the episode with Abe.  The Vulcan in that show was
the guy who started the whole concept of non-emotion and logic on
Vulcan, Surak.  No, he wasn't played by Mark Lenard.

S. Gore
LLP  \\//
    \

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (08/12/85)

      <comments about BOT>
              :
              :
> >> By the way, I was watching the credits and noticed that the Romulan officer
> >> who gets reduced two steps in rank for breaking radio silence is played
> >> by Lawrence Montaigne who also played Stonn in Amok Time.
> >> Isn't someone compiling a list of actors who appeared in more than one episode?
> >> (Still, Diana Muldaur has the prize for being in the most number of episodes.)
> >
> >   The actor who played the Romulan commander is the same actor who played
> >Spock's father in "Journey to Babel".  His name is Mark Leonard.
>
> Didn't Mark Lenard (I believe this is the correct spelling) also play Sarek
> in the episide where Abe Lincoln appeared?  (Sorry folks, can't remember the
> name of the episode right now.)

    I stand corrected...that is the real way to spell his name.  You also have
another name confused.  Sarek is Spock's father, while *Surak* is the Vulcan
you are talking about; and no, Mark Lenard didn't play Surak.  The name of the
episode is "The Savage Curtain".
--
     Adrian Zannin
..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) (08/13/85)

>> >   The actor who played the Romulan commander is the same actor who played
>> >Spock's father in "Journey to Babel".  His name is Mark Leonard.
>>
>> Didn't Mark Lenard (I believe this is the correct spelling) also play Sarek
>> in the episide where Abe Lincoln appeared?  (Sorry folks, can't remember the
>> name of the episode right now.)
>
>    I stand corrected...that is the real way to spell his name.  You also have
>another name confused.  Sarek is Spock's father, while *Surak* is the Vulcan
>you are talking about; and no, Mark Lenard didn't play Surak.  The name of the
>episode is "The Savage Curtain".

Thanks for the clue......I realized 5 min. after I typed Sarek that it was
Surak......but if Mark Lenard didn't play Surak, who did?

                                            Ed Z.