[net.startrek] ST pilots

kirk@cholula.UUCP (08/06/85)

>> ....The first one no longer exists and was never shown
>> (what a shame!).  The second was the Pike story which does not exist
>> anymore in its original form.  It was recut with the additional footage
>> added to become "The Menagerie".

> ....and Roddenberry had some
> other idea...like taking the non-emotions from Number One and
> giving them to Spock. (The original idea for Spock, and Vulcans
> in general, was to have them WILDLY emotional.)

 When I saw Roddenberry in St. Louis (~ 9 yrs. ago), he showed a b&w print
 of "The Cage", explaining that the original color print had been destroyed.

 He also said that he had planned to have the characters of Number One
 and Spock in the series; but that the NBC execs told him, in effect, that
 he couldn't have both an alien AND a woman as major characters in the show!!
 Consequently, he bestowed Number One's rank and personality traits on Spock.

---
  K. Bellar   WB0SJP		Teltone Corp.
  uw-beaver!tikal!kirk		Kirkland, Wa. USA  (206) 827-9626

     "They told me I was gullible...and I believed them!"

--

---

recko@haydn.DEC (Tim Recko LTN1-2/B17, 617/486-6220 DTN 229) (08/12/85)

>Subject: Re: ST pilots
>
> When I saw Roddenberry in St. Louis (~ 9 yrs. ago), he showed a b&w print
> of "The Cage", explaining that the original color print had been destroyed.
>
> He also said that he had planned to have the characters of Number One
> and Spock in the series; but that the NBC execs told him, in effect, that
> he couldn't have both an alien AND a woman as major characters in the show!!
> Consequently, he bestowed Number One's rank and personality traits on Spock.
>
>---
>  K. Bellar   WB0SJP		Teltone Corp.
>  uw-beaver!tikal!kirk		Kirkland, Wa. USA  (206) 827-9626

when i saw gene r., he mentioned that since he could not hold on to both
characters, he decided to save spock, and marry Majel Barrett, the actress
who played number one; obviously something he could not do the other
way around!

	tr (tim recko, DEC-Littleton, MA)

Posted:	Mon 12-Aug-1985 11:25 EDT
To:	NET_STARTREK

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (08/22/85)

> when i saw gene r., he mentioned that since he could not hold on to both
> characters, he decided to save spock, and marry Majel Barrett, the actress
> who played number one; obviously something he could not do the other
> way around! 	tr (tim recko, DEC-Littleton, MA)

Yes, and he got to eat the cake, too.  Notice any resemblance between
Number 1 and Nurse Chapel?  Maybe that's why she had the hots for Spock, he
was given her character!  Interesting ramifications, *neh*?

         	    ______  /
	     .ooo.     ./ /.	. o@ooo0
	    .ooooo.   .ooooo.  .oooo           Barb
        oo..oo	 oo...ooo ooo..ooo  \