[net.startrek] Some thoughts and replies

wahid@dvinci.DEC (Parwez Wahid) (08/14/85)

	Someone mentioned how "The Man Trap" was chosen by NBC as the
	premier episode of Star Trek.  That is correct.  The hideous
	salt vampire was just the monster the network wanted to attract
	viewers.  The second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was
	indeed the episode that brought Star Trek to television.  That
	episode was the third one broadcasted by NBC (9/22/66).  However
	"The Corbomite Manuver" was going to be the first broadcasted.  Ever
	notice how this episode touches over all the facets of Star Trek?
	We meet Spock, learn he is half-human and that Vulcan has no
	moon.  We hear McCoy grumbling over whether he is a doctor or
	a messanger boy.  Kirk talks about his commitment to his ship.
	I lost count on how many times Uhura says "Hailing frequency open sir".
	There is Star Trek's famous Captain and Doctor scene where Docter
	offers Captain a drink and comforting advice. (Used in "The Cage",
	a couple of other episodes and as well as STAR TREK II:
	THE WRATH OF KHAN.)  There is a lot of detail in "The Corbomite
	Manuver" showing the functions of starship and its crew.  But NBC
	decided to start off with "The Man Trap", not a bad episode itself.

	Someone else mentioned that Captain J.T. Esteban in ST:III and
	Commander Beach in ST:II are the same actor.  Not so.  Esteban was
	played by Phillip Richard Allen, I don't know if he has appeared
	in any other Star Trek episode/movie.  Don't know who played Mr. Beach
	in THE WRATH OF KHAN but it wasn't Allen.  Read the credits if you
	are still interested.

	Parwez Wahid
	DEC, Marlboro

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/17/85)

In article <3611@decwrl.UUCP> wahid@dvinci.DEC (Parwez Wahid) writes:
>	We meet Spock, learn he is half-human and that Vulcan has no
>	moon.
In STTMP we see Spock in an interrupted initiation ceremony with one or
more moons visible.  I don't recall seeing any moons in ST III.

Did Vulcan borrow some moons just for Spock's ceremony?
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

ayers@convexs.UUCP (08/21/85)

>>	We meet Spock, learn he is half-human and that Vulcan has no
>>	moon.
>In STTMP we see Spock in an interrupted initiation ceremony with one or
>more moons visible.  I don't recall seeing any moons in ST III.
>
>Did Vulcan borrow some moons just for Spock's ceremony?

Somehow I got the impression that the ceremony took place on ANOTHER
planet in the Vulcan system (not Vulcan), but can't remember what it
was.  Anyone out there able to help?

			I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that...

				blues, II

cjbiggin@watmath.UUCP (Colin Biggin) (08/24/85)

>>> We meet Spock, learn he is half-human and that Vulcan has no
>>> moon.
>>
>> In STTMP we see Spock in an interrupted initiation ceremony with one or
>> more moons visible.  I don't recall seeing any moons in ST III.
>>
>> Did Vulcan borrow some moons just for Spock's ceremony?
>
>Somehow I got the impression that the ceremony took place on ANOTHER
>planet in the Vulcan system (not Vulcan), but can't remember what it
>was.  Anyone out there able to help?

As I recall, it WAS on Mount Solaya (or whatever) which was on Vulcan.

About differences between the series and the movies, I would advise
not to take either as the god-given truth on what does and does not
exist in the Star Trek universe because they are no where near
consistent....

----------------------
cheers,                                      /~\          On a clear day
Colin Biggin                      /~\       /   \/\    one can see for miles
University of Waterloo           /   \ /\  /     \ \       and miles....
Waterloo, Ontario        /\     /     \  \/ /~\   \ \

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (08/25/85)

How about this?  Vulcan has no moon because Vulcan IS a moon of a
Jupiter-like world.  That wfits in with both Spock's statement in
the series and the beautiful skyscape we see in the first movie.