[net.startrek] vulcans

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (02/07/85)

>< a touch of emotions >
>
>Our local tv station just showed "Amok Time" (Spock's mating).
>It seems, every 7 years, he must return to Volcan.
>Now consider "The Immunity Syndrome", and recall the starship Intrepid
>containing 400 Volcans.
>The ship must constantly be flitting to and from Volcan,
>never venturing far from home.
>Someone's in heat every 6.5 days (statistical average).
>Was the giant cell dangerously close to Volcan?
>Or did the intrepid solve its problem by restricting crew members,
>accepting only Volcans who "burn" during March xxxx (xxxx constant modulo 7)?
>Wouldn't you love to be aboard during that critical month?
>--
>
>Karl Dahlke    ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad

Well, the Vulcans just could have had their mate aboard the Intrepid!  Also,
with warp space travel, you could still venture far from home base and
return in time to do whatever.  Even with the statistical 6.5 days average,
you would just leave several of the crew on Vulcan at a time, not just one
at a time.

T'Pring just did not want to go with Spock when Spock entered the Star Fleet
Academy.  She could have easily lived on the ship with Spock and the trip
to Vulcan would not have been necessary.

Another point, no one has stated (as far as I know) how long the "burning
blood" sensation (mating) urge lasts.  Maybe Vulcans have a sort of
menapause, and the urge ceases after a certain age.  Since the Vulcans
do not like to talk about it, and do not normally share this information
with "out worlders", not even Star Fleet may know.

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

sag@ihlpl.UUCP (Gore) (08/08/85)

Reading novels by James Michener always a thought-provoking
experience.  Sure enough, while reading Michener's novel The Covenant,
a thought occurred to me---Vulcans ought to be Black!

Given the thin atmosphere of Vulcan and the perpetually high
temperature, they should have developed much darker skin.  Granted,
this is based on facts of human physiology, but it would have made
more sense to make Vulcans black.

If this ever occurred to anyone way back when, when the series first
began, I'm sure it was quickly forgotten.  How would it have looked
to present a highly intelligent, logical people who were black!!!?

( By the way, has anyone ever seen Blacks as native to any other
planet besides Earth?  It would seem very strange that Roddenberry
and crew were sending across the message that Black people are an
oddity in the universe.)

Any comments?

S. Gore
LLP  \\//
    \

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (08/11/85)

> ( By the way, has anyone ever seen Blacks as native to any other
> planet besides Earth?  It would seem very strange that Roddenberry
> and crew were sending across the message that Black people are an
> oddity in the universe.)
>
> Any comments?
>
> S. Gore

The Buck Rogers series had an episode where blacks were the
civilized humanoids on one planet.  (This was the episode where
they introduced Hawk the birdman.)  Not Trek, but you see how
eight or ten years changes T.V.

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (08/12/85)

... ( By the way, has anyone ever seen Blacks as native to any other
> planet besides Earth?  It would seem very strange that Roddenberry
> and crew were sending across the message that Black people are an
> oddity in the universe.)
>
> Any comments?

   In "The Cloud Minders" we see that a few of the guards are of Nego
origin.  I'm not sure of these, but here are a few more episodes that
I think had non-terran black people:
          "The Gamesters of Triskelion"  (one of the Thralls)
          "The Mark of Gideon"  (on of the people milling around behind
                                 the window)
          "Plato's Stepchildren"  (Look close at the people in bleachers
                                   during the last part of the show)
          "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky"  (Possibly
                                   one of the people in a corridor shot
                                   of the asteriod)
Please correct me if I am wrong...

--
     Adrian Zannin
..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (08/19/85)

> ( By the way, has anyone ever seen Blacks as native to any other
> planet besides Earth?  It would seem very strange that Roddenberry
> and crew were sending across the message that Black people are an
> oddity in the universe.)
>
> Any comments?
>
> S. Gore

I seem to remember a comment some years ago along the lines that
Star Trek was one of the first series to show *any* minorities ( or
rather anything other than americans ). Afterall we have

	Spock - token pointy eared alien
	Uhura - token black
	Chekov- token commie ( oops I mean... This guy is sooo stereotyped
			       "Oh yes, first discovered by a Russian" )
	Sulu  - token asian
	Scotty- token...what's he a token of?
	McCoy - token...well token
--
            Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero                                      "Oh no, not again"
UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan    ARPA: ewan@washington.ARPA
Please check all nuclear arms at the door.

jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) (08/22/85)

In artical 4050 of 4143, it was suggested that vulcans should have
been black because of the intensity of sun(s) on Vulcan.
Using our own planet as a gage, this statement would probably
be true.  Let us not forget, however, that vulcans are alien
and therefore have very different protective agents.
I don't want to cause a debate on "the sun protection of
vulcans", because there is a much simplier explanation to this.

When Gene Roddenberry first created Spock, Gene made the vulcan red.
The reason Gene changed Spock to green is that the average home
in the mid 60's had only black and white TV sets.  Since red shows
as black on a black and white TV, Roddenberry was afraid the
alieness of Spock would be lost.  Because Spock is
denying his humanity,
Gene thought the wrong message would be interpreted if
people thought Spock was black instead of an alien.

I heard about this fact on "Showtime" in an interview with Lenord Nimoy
in mid august.  I hope this helps.

Joland
floation in space.

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (08/27/85)

In article <789@inuxd.UUCP> jody@inuxd.UUCP (JoLinda Ross) writes:
>In artical 4050 of 4143, it was suggested that vulcans should have
>been black because of the intensity of sun(s) on Vulcan.
>Using our own planet as a gage, this statement would probably
>be true.  Let us not forget, however, that vulcans are alien
>and therefore have very different protective agents.
>I don't want to cause a debate on "the sun protection of
>vulcans", because there is a much simplier explanation to this.
>When Gene Roddenberry first created Spock, Gene made the vulcan red.
>The reason Gene changed Spock to green is that the average home
>in the mid 60's had only black and white TV sets.  Since red shows
>as black on a black and white TV, Roddenberry was afraid the
>alieness of Spock would be lost.  Because Spock is
>denying his humanity,
>Gene thought the wrong message would be interpreted if
>people thought Spock was black instead of an alien.
>I heard about this fact on "Showtime" in an interview with Lenord Nimoy
>in mid august.  I hope this helps.

You're correct, of course, but having a debate on "the sun protection
of Vulcans" is FUN.  I might even learn more about physiology of humans
if the right people reply on the net.  To wit: maybe Vulcan skin produces
waxy whitish "melanin" instead of brown.  When out in the sun a lot they
get a nice ivory instead of a nice tan.  Spock's normal greenish pallor
is the result of too many late nights bathed in the light from his
computer.