[net.startrek] Shore Leave; videotapes

friedman@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (08/14/85)

I bought a tape of "Shore Leave", and watching it last night, noted a
couple of things that have been discussed recently on the net.

1) The trivia question was asked recently, in what episode was the E.
shown orbiting "backwards", i.e., right to left (on the TV screen)
instead of left to right?  The episode I thought of at the time was
"Mirror, Mirror", in which the orbital direction seems to reverse just
as the landing party beams into the alternate universe.  But "Shore
Leave" consistently shows the E. orbiting right to left around the
amusement park world.

2) There was some discussion about Angela having been hurt by the
strafing airplane, and not being "repaired" as McCoy was.  Some people
said they saw her in the final scene on the planet, with the alien who
ran the park, and others did not.  On the tape, she is missing at first
from that scene, while Kirk has everyone standing at attention and
concentrating on not thinking; but later, she is shown in Esteban's
arms, just before the shot of Spock disengaging himself from the
chorus girl.  It's a very brief shot, easy to miss, easy for a station
to cut.  Seems to me to be a breakdown in scene continuity; one would
expect her to be either present or absent from the entire scene.

3) Speaking of breakdowns in scene continuity, has anyone ever noticed
that Yeoman Barrows' tunic, very badly torn before she changes into that
princess outfit, is intact again when she changes back, just before the
above-mentioned scene?  There's no logical way she could have gotten a
new one; there is still no communication or transporter contact with
the ship.

These tapes of the TV episodes are indeed of excellent quality.  They
are SO complete, they even have the next-week preview at the end.  $15
per episode ($30 for the double episode "Menagerie" on one tape) seems
to me to be a fair price, as videotapes go, but adds up to a lot of $
if you set out to buy them all.  Pesonally, I intend to get copies of
the episodes I like best, and depend on the tapes I make off the air
for the rest (the local station here doesn't cut TOO badly).

There seem to be about 20 episodes available on tape so far (counting
the 2-part "Menagerie" as one).  They appear to be numbered in the
order they were originally filmed, beginning with "Where No Man Has
Gone Before" as #2 ("The Cage" would be #1, of course, and is not
available, at least so far; I don't suppose it will be).  The latest
one I've seen so far is #22, "Return of the Archons" (I'm not certain
whether there are any gaps in the sequence).  It appears that Paramount
is quietly adding more and more episodes.  Incidentally, the numbering
appears to be the same as that used by Alan Asherman in his "Star Trek
Compendium", published by Wallaby in 1981.

       		H. George Friedman, Jr.
       		Department of Computer Science
       		1304 West Springfield Avenue
       		Urbana, Illinois  61801

       		USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!friedman
       		CSNET:	friedman%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
       		ARPA:	friedman@uiuc.arpa

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/21/85)

In article <24900108@uiucdcs> friedman@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA writes:
>These tapes of the TV episodes are indeed of excellent quality.  They
>are SO complete, they even have the next-week preview at the end.  $15
>per episode ($30 for the double episode "Menagerie" on one tape) seems
>to me to be a fair price, as videotapes go, but adds up to a lot of $
>if you set out to buy them all.  Pesonally, I intend to get copies of
>the episodes I like best, and depend on the tapes I make off the air
>for the rest (the local station here doesn't cut TOO badly).

If you liked to quality on tape, you'll blow your mind if you see the
LaserDisc versions.  Played on a top notch monitor or projector, you'll
see textures and subtleties that are not apparent on tape due to the
restricted bandwidth, especially of the chroma channels.

Be warned, the picture is so good that many of the SPFX are patently
obvious, but that's part of the fun!

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (08/22/85)

> 2) There was some discussion about Angela having been hurt by the
> strafing airplane, and not being "repaired" as McCoy was.  Some people
> said they saw her in the final scene on the planet, with the alien who
> ran the park, and others did not.  On the tape, she is missing at first
> from that scene, while Kirk has everyone standing at attention and
> concentrating on not thinking; but later, she is shown in Esteban's
> arms, just before the shot of Spock disengaging himself from the
> chorus girl.  It's a very brief shot, easy to miss, easy for a station
> to cut.  Seems to me to be a breakdown in scene continuity; one would
> expect her to be either present or absent from the entire scene.

Why a breakdown?  Angela was 'repaired', too, so wouldn't appear until after
McCoy was returned.  The 'breakdown' was that there was no mention of it
(probably on the initial cutting room floor).

         ___________________
              ______________\
                 ___________ |
         	    ______  /
	       .	 / /	  o
	     .ooo.     ./ /.	. o@ooo0
	    .ooooo.   .ooooo.  .oooo
        oo..oo	 oo...ooo ooo..ooo  \          Barb
     .oo  oo	  oooooo   oooooo
		    ooo	     ooo

  "I know engineers; they just love to change things!"

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (08/27/85)

In article <24900108@uiucdcs> friedman@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA writes:
>I bought a tape of "Shore Leave", and watching it last night, noted a
>couple of things that have been discussed recently on the net.
>2) There was some discussion about Angela having been hurt by the
>strafing airplane, and not being "repaired" as McCoy was.  Some people
>said they saw her in the final scene on the planet, with the alien who
>ran the park, and others did not.  On the tape, she is missing at first
>from that scene, while Kirk has everyone standing at attention and
>concentrating on not thinking; but later, she is shown in Esteban's
>arms, just before the shot of Spock disengaging himself from the
>chorus girl.  It's a very brief shot, easy to miss, easy for a station
>to cut.  Seems to me to be a breakdown in scene continuity; one would
>expect her to be either present or absent from the entire scene.
>3) Speaking of breakdowns in continuity, did anyone notice
>that Yeoman Barrows' tunic, very badly torn before she changes into that
>princess outfit, is intact again when she changes back, just before the
>above-mentioned scene?  There's no logical way she could have gotten a
>new one; there is still no communication or transporter contact with
>the ship.
Item 2: Thanks George - Mea Culpa.  I looked again, all the way to the
end of the scene and there she is.  Must have just strolled up.
Item 3: You're right.  Maybe she is one of those "be prepared" girls
who carries a little sewing kit in her boot for emergencies. :-)
sb