[net.startrek] A Mysterious Star Trek Regular

jimc@haddock.UUCP (08/27/85)

There is another Star Trek character who is named, who appears in
several episodes, and who is consistently played by one actor,
John Winston, but who also has never been given any significant
role in the series.  That is Lieutenant Kyle, who is usually seen
in the transporter room, and in at least one episode ("The
Immunity Syndrome") was stationed at the helm.  Perhaps his most
memorable scene was in "Mirror, Mirror", when the bearded, savage
Spock caused Kyle great pain with an "agonizer." Since Kyle was
never killed, like other incidental characters (such as Riley), I
wonder why Kyle has never appeared in the movies.  Perhaps John
Winston is not acting any longer, or, still worse, he may not be
living anymore.  Anyone know anything about him?

			Jim Campbell
			..{ihnp4,allegra,harvard,bbncca}!ima!haddock!jimc

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (08/28/85)

> I wonder why Kyle has never appeared in the movies.

> 			Jim Campbell
> 			..{ihnp4,allegra,harvard,bbncca}!ima!haddock!jimc

	But, he did. Kyle was in The Wrath of Kahn as the communications
officer for the Reliant, beard and all. He is seen trying to contact Chekov
and the captain (Paul Winfield). One would assume that he was left on Regula
One with the rest of the Reliant crew after Khan took over the ship.

						Kenneth Crist
						Computer Vision Lab
						University of Maryland

okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Doctor Who) (08/28/85)

In article <95300005@haddock.UUCP>, jimc@haddock.UUCP writes:

> Since Kyle was
> never killed, like other incidental characters (such as Riley), I
> wonder why Kyle has never appeared in the movies.
> 			..{ihnp4,allegra,harvard,bbncca}!ima!haddock!jimc

If you look at ST:TWoK again, you'll see that the communications
officer on the Reliant is indeed Kyle.

Jeff Okamoto
okamoto@BERKELEY.EDU
..!ucbvax!okamoto

Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfernspledenschlittcrasscrenbonfriedigger-
dingledangledongleburesteinvonkanckerthrasherapplebangerhorowitzicol-
ensicgranderknottspelltinklegrandlichgrumblemeyerspeltorwasserkurst-
lichimmleeisenbahnwagengutenabendbitteeinneurnburgerbratwurstlegger-
spurtenmitzweimacherluberhundsfutgumberabeshonenedankerkablsfleich-
mittleraucher von Hauptkof ap Rabinski of Ulm.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/28/85)

In article <95300005@haddock.UUCP>, jimc@haddock.UUCP writes:
> I wonder why Kyle has never appeared in the movies.  Perhaps John
> Winston is not acting any longer, or, still worse, he may not be
> living anymore.  Anyone know anything about him?

I am pretty sure he was a bridge officer on the Grissom.  Science
Officer console maybe?  He is wearing a beard or goatee (sp?) in the
movie.

raiche@dartvax.UUCP (George A. Raiche) (08/29/85)

> There is another Star Trek character who is named, who appears in
> several episodes, and who is consistently played by one actor,
> John Winston, but who also has never been given any significant
> role in the series.  That is Lieutenant Kyle, who is usually seen
> in the transporter room, and in at least one episode ("The
> Immunity Syndrome") was stationed at the helm.  Perhaps his most
> memorable scene was in "Mirror, Mirror", when the bearded, savage
> Spock caused Kyle great pain with an "agonizer." Since Kyle was
> never killed, like other incidental characters (such as Riley), I
> wonder why Kyle has never appeared in the movies.  Perhaps John
> Winston is not acting any longer, or, still worse, he may not be
> living anymore.  Anyone know anything about him?
>
> 			Jim Campbell
> 			..{ihnp4,allegra,harvard,bbncca}!ima!haddock!jimc

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR extra! ***

Wasn't this actor (I don't believe he was named as Kyle) an officer
aboard the Reliant in STII?  I think he was the one who was going to
give Chekov and Tyrell "a little more time".

About other irregulars: what about "Mr. Leslie" (Eddie Pasky)?  He
was often hanging out on the bridge; usually at the engineering station,
but he occasionally got to man the helm and utter lines like "Warp 1,
eye sir", etc.

Then there are the Galways.  Galway is a bad name to have;  Lt. Galway
(red shirt) gets ionized in "Omega Glory", while Lt. Galway (female)
gets real old in an episode which I/m embarassed to say I can't remember
the title of ("The Tender Years"???).  But anyway, isn't the name
"Galway" fairly common (a few times) on the series?

Mr. Kyle did make it to the animated series, as I recall.

				George Raiche
				Dept. of Chemistry
				Dartmouth

	"Who's interferin'?  We're taking over!"

alb@alice.UucP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (08/29/85)

My favorite non-regular regular was the guy who played Mr. Leslie,
the security officer, navigator, communications fill in, etc.

jlp@faust.UUCP (09/03/85)

{}
Lieutenant Kyle was promoted to commander, and served on { the Reliant in
TWOK | the Grissom in TSFS }.

Jerryl Payne
...!ihnp4!inmet!faust!jlp