[net.startrek] Can you determine the episode?

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (08/29/85)

	On cable this month is a movie called "French Postcards".
In it, we see a piece of a Star Trek episode on French TV. (It's
about 20 minutes into the film.)

	In the clip, we see an exterior shot of the Enterprise being
hit be enemy fire. It then returns fire with photon torpedos. All the
dialogue during the 'everybody react to the impact' is in French. But
the one subtitle we see is with Kirk sitting in the Captain's chair
with Spock standing next to him, Jim says "So it's war."

	I say this is either "Errand of Mercy" or "Balance of Terror".
Anybody with the tapes want to confirm this?

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) (08/29/85)

Definitely "Errand of Mercy".  Kirk knew there was "war"
before he and Spock beamed down to Organia.  He had
also expected it, and I think this shows in the way he
said the line.

If I recall correctly, in "Balance of Terror" (one of the
best, by the way), the Romulans launched a sneak attack, and
Kirk debated whether or not to enter the Neutral Zone--such
an act would be tantamount to a declaration of war.  Thus the
attack itself would not have caused him to utter "So it's war".

			Scott J. Berry
			ihnp4!hou2g!scott

don@umd5.UUCP (08/31/85)

In article <179@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>	In the clip, we see an exterior shot of the Enterprise being
>hit be enemy fire. It then returns fire with photon torpedos. All the
>dialogue during the 'everybody react to the impact' is in French. But
>the one subtitle we see is with Kirk sitting in the Captain's chair
>with Spock standing next to him, Jim says "So it's war."
>
>	I say this is either "Errand of Mercy" or "Balance of Terror".
>Anybody with the tapes want to confirm this?

I do not have the tapes , but I can say that the show in question
is undoubtedly "Errand of Mercy". Nowhere in "Balance of Terror" does
Kirk announce that war has broken out. However, the Enterprise destroys
a Klingon scout ship in "Errand of Mercy" , after which Jim says that
war has begun.

--
--==---==---==--

___________      _____ ---- _____
       \        //---- IDIC -----
       _\______//_     ----
        ----------

  ARPA: don@umd5.ARPA   BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo,rlgvax,allegra,brl-bmd,nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

raiche@dartvax.UUCP (George A. Raiche) (09/04/85)

> 	On cable this month is a movie called "French Postcards".
> In it, we see a piece of a Star Trek episode on French TV. (It's
> about 20 minutes into the film.)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR SHOOTOUT ***

It would help if you could identify "other" characters on the bridge.
Look for Mr. Styles in "Balance of Terror".  The line "So, it's war"
sounds like "Errand of Mercy".

				George Raiche
				Dept. of Chemistry
				Dartmouth