[net.startrek] "The Cloud Min{d}ers"

perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (09/05/85)

I have seen the name of this episode listed both as "The Cloud
Miners" and "The Cloud Minders".  Can someone who really knows
clue us all in as to which of these is the correct title?

Sitting back in anticipation of a real juicy argument,

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
{philabs|delftcc}!rdin!perl

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (09/09/85)

In article <497@rdin.UUCP> perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) writes:
>I have seen the name of this episode listed both as "The Cloud
>Miners" and "The Cloud Minders".  Can someone who really knows
>clue us all in as to which of these is the correct title?
>Sitting back in anticipation of a real juicy argument,

Minders.  Clue me in -- why would this generate a juicy argument?
sb

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (09/10/85)

> I have seen the name of this episode listed both as "The Cloud
> Miners" and "The Cloud Minders".
> Robert Perlberg

It's definitely Minders.  I've never seen it listed in anything published
as Miners.
--
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) (09/10/85)

Actually, logic ("Mr. Spock, report to the bridge...")
can be used to figure it out, independent of any source.
I wasn't sure based on memory alone.

The Miners were the ones on the ground, not in the air.
The ones in the clouds certainly did no mining.

However, Cloud *Minders* could be either minders (patrons,
caretakers, etc.) who lived in the clouds, or ones whose
minds were in the clouds (Earth calling Droxine, Earth
calling Droxine...).  Both of these interpretations fit, actually.

That leaves us with the title being "The Cloud MINDERS".
QED (Quit and Eat Dinner)

			Scott J. Berry

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (09/11/85)

In article <497@rdin.UUCP>, perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) writes:
> I have seen the name of this episode listed both as "The Cloud
> Miners" and "The Cloud Minders".  Can someone who really knows
> clue us all in as to which of these is the correct title?

In his book "The World of Star Trek" (the original release; I don't
know about the newer edition) David Gerrold refers to it as "The Cloud
Minders" (with a "d"). Since he wrote it, I assume he knows. Incidentally,
The posting to which I am responding is the only place I have seen the
other spelling.

				Steve Swope (aka scs@wucs.UUCP)

"Brigadier, A straight line may be the shortest path between
 two points, but it is by no means the most interesting!"