[net.startrek] James Tiberius Kirk

raiche@dartvax.UUCP (George A. Raiche) (08/20/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR epitath! ***

I know this sounds crazy, but I watched "Where No Man Has Gone Before" a
couple of days ago and I could have sworn that the headstone to Kirk's
"grave" did not read James T. Kirk; I thought it had another middle initial
(possibly R). I never got a good long look at the stone, however.
Any comments or verification?
				George Raiche
				Dept. of Chemistry
				Dartmouth

S: "You're a talented thief, Keslo."
K: *Gurgle!*

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (08/20/85)

> I know this sounds crazy, but I watched "Where No Man Has Gone Before" a
> couple of days ago and I could have sworn that the headstone to Kirk's
> "grave" did not read James T. Kirk; I thought it had another middle initial
> (possibly R). I never got a good long look at the stone, however.
> Any comments or verification?
> 				George Raiche

Yes.  It was R.  Who knows why.  Maybe they decided that the Captain of
the Enterprise should not have the initials JRK.
--
"Things can only get better"                  Peter Merchant

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (08/22/85)

In article <3502@dartvax.UUCP>, merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:

> > couple of days ago and I could have sworn that the headstone to Kirk's
> > "grave" did not read James T. Kirk; I thought it had another middle initial
> > (possibly R). I never got a good long look at the stone, however.
>
> Yes.  It was R.  Who knows why.  Maybe they decided that the Captain of
> the Enterprise should not have the initials JRK.

	Jackson Roykirk?

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (09/09/85)

> I know this sounds crazy, but I watched "Where No Man Has Gone Before" a
> couple of days ago and I could have sworn that the headstone to Kirk's
> "grave" did not read James T. Kirk; I thought it had another middle initial
> (possibly R). I never got a good long look at the stone, however.
> Any comments or verification?
> 				George Raiche
> 				Dept. of Chemistry
> 				Dartmouth

Glad you brought it up. I tried recording it, and stopping the
action at that spot. I STILL coulnd't read it. It did say
James Kirk, and it DID give a date (other than a stardate), but
that's as far as I ever got...

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

	"...That's enough, that's enough!
	    Television's takin' its toll.
	    Turn it off, turn it off!
	    Give me the remote control!
	    I've been nice! I've been good!
	    Please don't do this to me!
	    I've been nice, turn it off,
	    I don't wanna hav'ta see...
		...'The Brady Bunch!'"

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (09/12/85)

In article <1456@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

>> I know this sounds crazy, but I watched "Where No Man Has Gone Before" a
>> couple of days ago and I could have sworn that the headstone to Kirk's
>> "grave" did not read James T. Kirk; I thought it had another middle initial
>> Any comments or verification?
>
>Glad you brought it up. I tried recording it, and stopping the
>action at that spot. I STILL coulnd't read it. It did say
>James Kirk, and it DID give a date (other than a stardate), but
>that's as far as I ever got...

Yeah, it's tough to see, but check every possible time the stone is on
the screen.  In one or two of them you can see that the initial is "R".
(At least on Beta - let's not start an argument about B vs. VHS.)
Apparently they decided on Tiberius later, "Where No Man..." being a pilot.
sb

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (09/14/85)

Actually, I think Tiberius wasn't coined until after the
end of the live action series.  I do know that D. C. Fontana
suggested the name and I do know that David Gerrold used it
in his animated Star Trek episode BEM.