[net.startrek] Space Seed

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (09/30/85)

I just saw Space Seed the other day (Yippee, Star Trek is back in Denver--
Channel 2 and 10:30 P.M).

It occurred to me that everyone seems a little hard on Lieutenant
Givers(sp?)  for being obviously attracted to Khan from the very beginning.
In fact, Kirk really chews her out good in sickbay.  That scene is very
interesting because after she leaves Bones says (not exactly) to Kirk:

"You make a pretty fair psychiatrist"

and Kirk replies:

"Fair?"

and walks out.

Was Kirk implying he was better than fair, or did he realize that he too is
very often influenced by an attraction to a member of the opposite sex?

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

P.S.--One significant difference between Givers and Kirk:  Giver's
eventually commits a traitorous act because of her infatuation with Khan,
whereas Kirk always manages to hang on to his sense of duty--usually
resulting in the devastation of the woman in question (but not always
before things have gotten a bit out of control--hence enter son David).

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (10/05/85)

In article <54@drutx.UUCP> eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) writes:

>It occurred to me that everyone seems a little hard on Lieutenant
>Givers(sp?)  for being obviously attracted to Khan from the very beginning.
>In fact, Kirk really chews her out good in sickbay.  That scene is very
>interesting because after she leaves Bones says (not exactly) to Kirk:
>
>"You make a pretty fair psychiatrist"
>
>and Kirk replies:
>
>"Fair?"
>
>and walks out.
>
>Was Kirk implying he was better than fair, or did he realize that he too is
>very often influenced by an attraction to a member of the opposite sex?
>
>Betsy Cvetic
>ihnp4!drutx!eac

	Of course Kirk meant (perhaps somewhat tongue-in-cheek)that he
considered himself to be a very good psychiatrist.  It can't have
escaped your notice that the entire Star Trek series reflected the
attitudes of its time with reference to women.  Even though they are
included in the "space navy" of the future, women were almost uniformly
portrayed as being helpless and "feminine", especially when the chips
were down.  In fact, today, Jim Kirk would almost certainly be
classified as a male chauvinist.
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for myself and my dog and no-one else)

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/08/85)

In article <548@oakhill.UUCP> hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) writes:
>	Of course Kirk meant (perhaps somewhat tongue-in-cheek)that he
>considered himself to be a very good psychiatrist.  It can't have
>escaped your notice that the entire Star Trek series reflected the
>attitudes of its time with reference to women.  Even though they are
>included in the "space navy" of the future, women were almost uniformly
>portrayed as being helpless and "feminine", especially when the chips
>were down.  In fact, today, Jim Kirk would almost certainly be
>classified as a male chauvinist.

True.  Which may be why most really *long-term* trek fans who are female
(which is a large percentage) are Spock-freaks under the skin and only
tolerate Kirk.  This might make an intersting poll, actually.