[net.startrek] Dilithium trivia

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/11/85)

In article <326@uw-june> ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) writes:
>McCoy ( probably not accurate ) in Elaan of Troyius
>"Spock, the women of Vulcan are completely logical...That's probably the only
>planet in the galaxy that can make that claim!" :-)

      Acutally Kirk said it (I won't nitpick about the phraseology) -- see the
      recent net comments on Kirk's chauvinism!  The good doctor would probably
      smile at such a remark, but I can't exactly imagine him saying it.

>And on the trivial front ( inspired by the above episode )
>In which episodes has the Enterprise's dilithium crystals been stolen,
>boobytrapped, ran out, stopped working, been plymorphed into a daemon--more--?
I don't know that answer....I'm just curious.

      An interesting question, which turned out to be tougher than one might
      think, or maybe it's just that I have never concentrated heavily on
      engineering matters.  My conclusions are:
      Definite: Mudd's Angels, Paradise Syndrome, Elaan of Troyius.
      Possible: Shore Leave - the planet was "soaking up our energy at the
		    source"
                Where No Man ... - the warp engine was out, but impulse was
		    Ok.  Do the impulse engines use dilithium or battery power?
		    Of course warp could be out for some other reason.
      No, although it seemed likely at first remembrance:  The Apple -
		"We're losing potency in our antimatter pods."
		The Tholian Web - "the power supply converter is fused".
      I welcome amplification on this question.
      sb

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (10/14/85)

> [...]
> >And on the trivial front ( inspired by the above episode )
> >In which episodes has the Enterprise's dilithium crystals been stolen,
> >boobytrapped, ran out, stopped working, been plymorphed into a daemon--more--?
> I don't know that answer....I'm just curious.
>
>       An interesting question, which turned out to be tougher than one might
>       think, or maybe it's just that I have never concentrated heavily on
>       engineering matters.  My conclusions are:
>       Definite: Mudd's Angels, Paradise Syndrome, Elaan of Troyius.
                         ^^^^^^
>  [...]
>       sb

This answers the little known trivia question:
	"What show was Charlie's Angles a spin-off of?"  :-)

One addition to the dilithium question is The Alternative Factor.

--

                         --Kevin Chu
                         ..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex