[net.startrek] Commodor/Captain

timpson@comet.DEC (ACE TECH) (10/08/85)

In the US navy a commodor is the rank of a one star Admiral  during war
time only.  During peace time there is no Commodor rank, only two star
admirals and up.  Also a commodor is usually put in charge of a small
battle group and then and admiral will be of the whole flotilla.

steve :^)

P.S.  Whats so inmportant about all this anyway?  All of the ST's are filled
      with little errors which were meant to be ignored as not important to
      the flow of the story anyway????

                                  steve :^)

john@gcc-bill.ARPA (John Allred) (10/09/85)

In article <744@decwrl.UUCP> timpson@comet.DEC (ACE TECH) writes:

>In the US navy a commodor is the rank of a one star Admiral  during war
>time only.  During peace time there is no Commodor rank, only two star
>admirals and up.  Also a commodor is usually put in charge of a small
>battle group and then and admiral will be of the whole flotilla.
>
>steve :^)

Sorry, steve, but the commodore rank is back.  It seems that all the one
star general officers of the other services were upset at their navy
counterparts gettings free rides to the 2 star rank.

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

dpb@laidbak.UUCP (Darryl Baker) (10/09/85)

The rank commodor is also used for an officer of the rank of captain on a ship
other than his own since there is only one "Captain" on a ship. Also army
captains will be called major aboard ship by naval personnel. At least that
was the way Robert Heilein explained it in "Starship Troopers".
--
				from the sleepy terminal of
				Darryl Baker

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (10/11/85)

Look, it's really all very simple.  Commodore is the computer that Kirk was
advertising a while back.  You all know that.

Enough said.

Eric Anderson, UC San Diego         {elsewhere}!ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa
Home: (619)453-7315       Work: (619)586-1201       White House: (202)456-1414

timpson@comet.DEC (ACE TECH) (10/12/85)

Thanks for the update John I have been out of the Navy for 7 years now and
didn't know of the change.

                                 steve:^)

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (10/16/85)

> The rank commodor is also used for an officer of the rank of captain on a ship
> other than his own since there is only one "Captain" on a ship. Also army
> captains will be called major aboard ship by naval personnel. At least that
> was the way Robert Heilein explained it in "Starship Troopers".
> --
> 				from the sleepy terminal of
> 				Darryl Baker
> 				[ihnp4!]laidbak!dpb

An army captain is = to a naval lieutenant (silver bars [railroad tracks])
An army major is = to a naval lieutenant commander (gold leaf [eagle splat])

When a Army Captain is onboard a naval ship he/she
is referred to as lieutenant. There are no full
lieutenants in the army so he is accorded his proper
rate and no confusion results.

jlp@inmet.UUCP (10/17/85)

>When a Army Captain is onboard a naval ship he/she
>is referred to as lieutenant. There are no full
>lieutenants in the army so he is accorded his proper
>rate and no confusion results.

How is a ifrst lieutenant (O-2, one bar) in the Army referred to, then?
And Second Lieutenant? (O-1, ensign equivalent )

The Organ Keyboard of
Jerryl Payne
{ihnp4,esquire,harpo}!inmet!jlp