[net.startrek] Commodores, admirals, et. al.

ccrse@ucdavis.UUCP (Steve Ehrhardt) (10/04/85)

From postnews Mon Jul 22 11:49:00 1985
Subject: cables and ground loops
Newsgroups: net.audio

> > 	That is COMMODOR Decker, not Captain. I never understood why Kirk
> >   had to be reduced from Admiral to Captain after the end of the first movie.
>
> Was he?  I don't remember him being reduced.  He wa still Admiral Kirk to
> Kahn (Khan?) in STII.

	If I recall correctly, he still was Admiral Kirk in STII.

	As I understand it, a commodore is an officer put in charge of a par-
ticular mission (usually involving several ships) who does not necessarily
outrank the commanders of the ships put under his command.  For example, he
may be a captain himself, but for purposes of the mission at hand, he may com-
mand several other captains who may even be senior to him.

	In the case of both admirals and commodores, they are seldom in command
of the vessel that they themselves are aboard.  Their area of responsibility
is the overall tactical command of the mission, leaving the operation of the
various ships, including the flagship (the ship carrying the admiral/commodore),
to their respective captains.  It is considered very bad form for the flag
officer to interfere directly in the operations of his flagship, but on the
other hand, the captain of said vessel can hardly afford to ignore the "sugges-
tions" of the flag officer.  These sorts of situations are famous for creating
all sorts of tension and bad blood between the captain and flag officer.

	An interesting thought occurs to me after writing the above:  why not
make Spock the captain of the Enterprise (or whatever other name a new ship
might have) and saddle him with Kirk as a flag officer aboard?  The fireworks
might be spectacular when Kirk found he couldn't always have his own way!

	Any comments???

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (10/09/85)

> It is considered very bad form for the flag
> officer to interfere directly in the operations of his flagship, but on the
> other hand, the captain of said vessel can hardly afford to ignore the
> "suggestions" of the flag officer.  These sorts of situations are famous
> for creating all sorts of tension and bad blood between the captain and
> flag officer.

Now that we have all of this naval expertise floating around the net,
perhaps someone could finally explain to me that "personal authority as
Captain of the Big E" nonsense that Kirk pulled on Commodore Decker in
"Doomsday Machine".  I never understood how that could hold any water
whatsoever.  Sure, he was right, as usual, but was he really within his
rights?
--

					-- Mark A.
					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

mnw@trwrba.UUCP (Michael N. Washington) (10/11/85)

In article <275@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>

>Now that we have all of this naval expertise floating around the net,
>perhaps someone could finally explain to me that "personal authority as
>Captain of the Big E" nonsense that Kirk pulled on Commodore Decker in
>"Doomsday Machine".  I never understood how that could hold any water
>whatsoever.  Sure, he was right, as usual, but was he really within his
>rights?
>--
>
>					-- Mark A.
>					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph
>
>	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

Well, first, Captain Kirk should not have been off the bridge of his  ship
in the first place.  Second, even though he is not physically on the ship,
he is still responsible for whatever happens on his ship.   He  can  leave
any of his senior officers in charge of  the  Big  E.   Second,  Commodore
Decker did not follow procedure when boarding the Enterprise.   He  should
have been taken directly to Sick Bay for checkout.  He was aboard  a  ship
that was heavily damaged and could be suffering from radiation  poisoning,
or a multitude of other things.  Third, Decker definitely  endangered  the
Big E. and could have been  brought  up  on  charges  (provided  they  all
survived to levy any charges).  The Captain had  every  right  to  relieve
Decker aboard his ship.  He was  not   rationally  trying  to  combat  the
doomsday machine.  He  knew  that  phasers  were   not  effective  against
its hull.  He should have coordinated both starships in an effort to fight
the doomsday machine.

I am sure that there were other courses that could have been taken.   But,
then again, we would not have had a story.  The  same  thing  happened  in
ST II: TWOK!  Kirk should have immediately raised shields when Reliant did
not respond to the Big E!  Anyone could have stolen a starship and used it
for his/her gain!!!

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Michael N. Washington
TRW E&DS  Redondo Beach, Ca.  90278

{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!trwrba!mnw

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (10/16/85)

In article <275@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>Now that we have all of this naval expertise floating around the net,
>perhaps someone could finally explain to me that "personal authority as
>Captain of the Big E" nonsense that Kirk pulled on Commodore Decker in
>"Doomsday Machine".  I never understood how that could hold any water
>whatsoever.  Sure, he was right, as usual, but was he really within his
>rights?

This is my memory, so if I'm having parity errors (which are
nomral at 3:30, send flames to net.flames or /dev/nullm but not to me.)

Bones was telling Spock that Decker couldn't do it.
Bones wanted to declare Decker insane.
Spock was quoteing regulations, and being a good soldier (tho
perhaps not being logical, since he probably argreed with bones)
Spock makes Decker break off an attack via the insanity clause.
Scotty fixes the radio on Deckers ship and Kirk talk with the
folks on the big E.  IMPORTANT PART:  He orders Spock to assume
command.  His "personal authority" (in my opinion) means that
if starfleet objects, it falls on his head, not Spocks.  Given
these comflicting orders, Spocks choise is easy.

possible best line from same show:
(happens twice I think)
Scotty to Kirk: x,y,z and even one pdq are now fixed
Kirk to Scotty, you've just earned your pay for the week/month.
Similar situation in a different show (name it as a trivia Q!)
"Scotty, your fired."

To err is human, to screw up world news required the net.
John W		{ anyplace-civilized } !uwvax!astroatc!johnw

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (10/17/85)

> 	An interesting thought occurs to me after writing the above:  why not
> make Spock the captain of the Enterprise (or whatever other name a new ship
> might have) and saddle him with Kirk as a flag officer aboard?  The fireworks
> might be spectacular when Kirk found he couldn't always have his own way!
>
> 	Any comments???

But Spock *was* the captain of the *Enterprise* in STII.  He officially
relinquished command to Kirk after the shooting started.  As he often said,
he had no desire to command the ship, and it was Kirk's foremost gift.

                                         Barb

                                 KIRK: "Scotty, you're confined to quarters."

                                 SCOTT: "Aye, sir ... Thank you, sir!  It will
                                       give me time to catch up on me technical
                                       journals!"

                                 ...talk about lemons into lemonade....

owen@rtp47.UUCP (Karl M. Owen) (10/30/85)

>	If I recall correctly, he still was Admiral Kirk in STII.

	True.

>	As I understand it, a commodore is an officer put in charge of a par-
>ticular mission (usually involving several ships) who does not necessarily
>outrank the commanders of the ships put under his command.  For example, he
>may be a captain himself, but for purposes of the mission at hand, he may com-
>mand several other captains who may even be senior to him.
>
>	In the case of both admirals and commodores, they are seldom in command
>of the vessel that they themselves are aboard.  Their area of responsibility
>is the overall tactical command of the mission, leaving the operation of the
>various ships, including the flagship (the ship carrying the admiral/commodore)
>to their respective captains.  It is considered very bad form for the flag
>officer to interfere directly in the operations of his flagship, but on the
>other hand, the captain of said vessel can hardly afford to ignore the "sugges-
>tions" of the flag officer.  These sorts of situations are famous for creating
>all sorts of tension and bad blood between the captain and flag officer.

	A pretty darned good description of the situation, although commodore
is also used as a courtesy title for people holding the rank of captain but
not in command of the ship they are on.

>	An interesting thought occurs to me after writing the above:  why not
>make Spock the captain of the Enterprise (or whatever other name a new ship
>might have) and saddle him with Kirk as a flag officer aboard?  The fireworks
>might be spectacular when Kirk found he couldn't always have his own way!
>
>	Any comments???

	Sure!  As to your last suggestion, it's a very good one - in fact,
they already did it in STII.  You will recall that Captain Spock is in
command of the training ship Enterprise and that Admiral Kirk makes a big
thing of not wanting to take command of the ship back from him (see 2
preceeding paragraphs).

						Karl

--

				Karl M. Owen