[net.startrek] "Killing Time"

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (10/24/85)

	I just finished reading "Killing Time" and "Dwellers of the Crucible".
Both are fairly decent, though a little rough around the edges. The plot
of KT was excellent and the characterizations of Captain Spock and Ensign
Kirk superb. I thought the portrayal of the Rihansu was poor. DW had a poor
action plot but is a definitive piece on Vulcan and the rapport between
a Vulcan and an Earthling (as opposed to the rapport between a Vulcan/Earthling
and an Earthling).

	Any comments?

	Did anybody like "Shadow Lord"?

	(Is there any room on the net for discussions of the Star Trek
Novels, or must we continue to look at Trivia and favorite lines  from
the old TV Series?)

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (10/29/85)

> 	I just finished reading "Killing Time" and "Dwellers of the Crucible".
> Both are fairly decent, though a little rough around the edges.

Are you kidding??  While I never did figure out why "Killing Time" was
recalled, I with they had recalled "Dwellers...".  There was no plot, it
was much more lurid that Killing Time, and generally had little or no
redeeming value.  Of the many ST books I have read, it is by far the worst.
(I would almost make it the worst book that I have ever read, period!)

As to the appropriatness of discussing ST books here, I agree that it
is as good a topic as the same trivia over and over.

Live long and prosper!

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                       talcott!sesame!slerner@harvard.ARPA

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (10/31/85)

In article <388@sesame.UUCP> slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) writes:
>> 	I just finished reading "Killing Time" and "Dwellers of the Crucible".
>> Both are fairly decent, though a little rough around the edges.
>

>Are you kidding??  While I never did figure out why "Killing Time" was
>recalled, I with they had recalled "Dwellers...".  There was no plot, it
>was much more lurid that Killing Time, and generally had little or no
>redeeming value.  Of the many ST books I have read, it is by far the worst.
>(I would almost make it the worst book that I have ever read, period!)

I don't know about that.  I sort of liked it, since it was in the class
of books that I usually call "K&S Don't Get To Kill Everything And Save
The Day" (gee, sort of long... I'll condense it.  Later.)

Also, about the luridity; that's something that's been missing entirely
from just about ALL Star Trek novels.  Now, what do we want, Harlequin
Romance suggestiveness or realism?  (Granted, some might be offended by
realism...)  And what about violence?  Why doesn't McIntyre's "The
Entropy Effect" get censured because of its graphic depictions of violence?
And "Dwellers" isn't even that graphic!

(To preven confusion... I loved "The Entropy Effect.")

What I wonder how people get away with is stuff like "Devil World" or "The
Klingon Gambit" (explain that title and win a prize)...

G. T. Samson
The Evil MicroWizard
gts@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU

[Please, don't respond to samson%h-sc1@harvard.HARVARD.EDU!]