[net.startrek] The Romulan Commander

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/28/85)

   One of the characters who often shows up in Trek novels is the Romulan
commander from "The Enterprise Incident". Unfortunately, the novels seem to
show several contradictory views of her fate following the afore-mentioned
episode.

	In PRICE OF THE PHOENIX and FATE OF THE PHOENIX, she has
	somehow survived any charges which might be placed against
	her and still commands a ship. She also has her command in
	DWELLERS IN THE CRUCIBLE.

	In MY ENEMY, MY ALLY, she has been ostracized and stripped
	of both name and command and is presumably wandering the
	galaxy.

	In KILLING TIME, she is the Romulan Praetor.

	In PAWNS ANS SYMBOLS, she is Romulan ambassador to Organia.

   Has anyone familiar with the novels or with fan literature ever heard
something to reconcile all these scenarios. Also, personally speaking,
which scenario do you like? (Well, it's a change from trivia questions...)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	    "It all started out as a mild curiousity in a junkyard...
	    and now it's turned out to be quite a spirit of adventure."

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (10/29/85)

>    One of the characters who often shows up in Trek novels is the Romulan
> commander from "The Enterprise Incident". Unfortunately, the novels seem to
> show several contradictory views of her fate following the afore-mentioned
> episode.

<several alternate views follow>

Gees, I thought she was dead.  That's what BLACK FIRE says, anyway.

		Lord Kahless

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (10/29/85)

I don't really have an opinion of which is the best fate for the female
Romulan commander, but I am glad that new Star Trek novels are
not shackled to trying to be consistent with the previous novels as
well as the tv shows.  Afterall, we'd be stuck with a Sarek of Vulcan
who is "something of a comedian" if all future uses of him had to
stick to Jean Lorrah's characterization in THE VULCAN ACADEMY MURDERS.

RJS in Toronto, c/o
--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/29/85)

In article <548@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>   One of the characters who often shows up in Trek novels is the Romulan
>commander from "The Enterprise Incident". Unfortunately, the novels seem to
>show several contradictory views of her fate following the afore-mentioned
>episode.
>	In PRICE OF THE PHOENIX and FATE OF THE PHOENIX, she has
>	somehow survived any charges which might be placed against
>	her and still commands a ship. She also has her command in
>	DWELLERS IN THE CRUCIBLE.
>	In MY ENEMY, MY ALLY, she has been ostracized and stripped
>	of both name and command and is presumably wandering the
>	galaxy.
>	In KILLING TIME, she is the Romulan Praetor.
>	In PAWNS ANS SYMBOLS, she is Romulan ambassador to Organia.
>   Has anyone familiar with the novels or with fan literature ever heard
>something to reconcile all these scenarios. Also, personally speaking,
>which scenario do you like? (Well, it's a change from trivia questions...)

No, I haven't seen any reconciliation of these scenarios, especially since
they are added to in number almost every other month.  It does seem there is
a deep need in fandom to get her back!  Of course fandom is known for having
deep needs in general, so ...:-)  How could you reconcile "ostracized etc."
with any of the others anyway?
By the way, she also appears briefly in BLACK FIRE, as a subordinate officer,
perhaps working her way up the ranks again, who does not wish to see or talk
to Spock ever again.
Personally, I think stripped of command and exiled, or at best the Black Fire
idea, is the most likely outcome for her, although I will admit that being
the Praetor's daughter makes an interesting explanation for her survival and
perhaps her position in the first place.
Susan
                                 --"It would explain a great many things."
					 Wrath of Khan

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (11/01/85)

In article <203@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:
>>    One of the characters who often shows up in Trek novels is the Romulan
>> commander from "The Enterprise Incident". Unfortunately, the novels seem to
>> show several contradictory views of her fate following the afore-mentioned
>> episode.
><several alternate views follow>
>Gees, I thought she was dead.  That's what BLACK FIRE says, anyway.
>		Lord Kahless

Strange.  Your military intelligence has gone seriously astray.  She's certainly
alive and well on p. 171 of Black Fire.  That's Chap. VIII, Section 3.
sb