[net.startrek] [Klingon] Phasers -- ST wepons in general

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (11/03/85)

In article <1147@wucec2.UUCP> rhw9906@wucec2.UUCP (Richard Hill Wyatt Jr) writes:

>a disruptor works by modifying sounds waves to act in a destrucive fashion,
>and the large ship models do the same thing with light. Does anybody know
>the mechanics of a photon torpedo? Is it an anti-matter reaction?

I think we have a problem here.  All these sound/light/laser/particle
weapons would, at best, be limited to the speed of light!  (Add to]
this, the glaring insconsistancy of the "super-slow-motion-pasers"
used in, I believe, "A wink of an eye")  I can not remember, for sure,
but 10:1 says that both photons torpedos and phasers were fired
ABOVE light speed.  (Which did they use in Balance of Terror?,
photons, I think)

It seems that this is the same problem as sub-space radio, and
sensors that detect the use of warp drives.

--

			John W

Name:	John F. Wardale
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw
arpa:   astroatc!johnw@rsch.wisc.edu
snail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
audio:	608-221-9001 eXt 110

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!