[net.startrek] "Grevious mistake" in Planet of Judgment

jtd@duts.UUCP (John DeMent) (11/02/85)

In "World Without End", Joe Haldeman states that he made a
"grevious mistake on the very first page" of his first ST novel,
"Planet of Judgment." [Look in "Author's Note"]
He further states the mistake "has to do with a word that
that sounds similar to my name."

Does anyone know what this mistake is ?

Possibilities:
    1) Mr. Scott planning an afternoon maneuvers drill ?
    2) Calling Dr. Atheling "supercargo" ?
    3) Is the command chair really "soft" ?
    4) Could a shift begin at 1200 hours ?

                        John T. DeMent
                        Amdahl Corporation
                        Sunnyvale, CA

bulko@ut-sally.UUCP (William C. Bulko) (11/06/85)

[The postman hits!  --More-- ]
[You have new mail.          ]

In article <156@duts.UUCP> jtd@duts.UUCP (John DeMent) writes:
>In "World Without End", Joe Haldeman states that he made a
>"grevious mistake on the very first page" of his first ST novel,
>"Planet of Judgment." [Look in "Author's Note"]
>He further states the mistake "has to do with a word that
>that sounds similar to my name."
>
>Does anyone know what this mistake is ?

Oh heck.  Yes, I do -- sort of.  First, let me point out that all my Star
Trek stuff is at my parents' home 600 miles away, and so since I can't go
verify anything I say, I'm working from memory here.  Anyway, when the book
came out way back when, I spent hours puzzling over that question myself.
I believe that Mr. Haldeman made mention of a contest in his book also, and
so after the "expiration date" passed, I wrote him a letter asking about the
answer.  He responded with a very nice letter (which I still have somewhere
in my closet back home) saying -- and here's where I'm stretching my memory
-- that his "grievous mistake" was erroneously identifying the author of a
quote he included in his book.  (Evidently the "first page" was intended to
count from that page, not from the leaves included by the publisher.)  The
clue described the fact that the true author's name was very similar to his
own.
     If anyone is REALLY curious about details, I suppose I could call home
and ask someone to dig around for the letter, but I don't think I could tell
you much more.  I was actually quite disappointed in the answer, since I
had never heard of either author (false and correct) and therefore would not
have been able to guess the error;  however, I was happy to get a letter from
Mr. Haldeman.
     Hope this helps some people sleep at night better.

					Bill

		    "To err is human;  to admit it is not."
Bill Bulko					Department of Computer Sciences
The University of Texas         {ihnp4,harvard,gatech,ctvax,seismo}!sally!bulko