[net.startrek] Kirk's tombstone in "where no man has gone before"

djd@bcsaic.UUCP (dennis j. doherty) (09/23/85)

	I just got the video tape of "where no man has gone before"
and the tombstone that Gary Mitchell sets up for kirk has his name
as "James R. Kirk" not "James T. Kirk".  The quality of the recording
is very good and you can see it clearly when Gray (Gray Lockwood)
tries to get out of the grave.

				Yours in UNIX

				Dennis

P.S. LLAP

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (10/09/85)

> 	I just got the video tape of "where no man has gone before"
> and the tombstone that Gary Mitchell sets up for kirk has his name
> as "James R. Kirk" not "James T. Kirk".  The quality of the recording
> is very good and you can see it clearly when Gray (Gray Lockwood)
> tries to get out of the grave.

   For those of you who own the photo novel for "Where No Man Has Gone
Before", you would easily be able to tell that it read "R."  (Sometimes
people do everything the hard way.)
My personal feelings on it is that it was done on purpose to show that
it truly wasn't Kirk's grave.  Also, it showed the limits on Gary's powers
at the time.

						Paul Meyerhofer

dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) (10/09/85)

>    For those of you who own the photo novel for "Where No Man Has Gone
> Before", you would easily be able to tell that it read "R."  (Sometimes
> people do everything the hard way.)
> My personal feelings on it is that it was done on purpose to show that
> it truly wasn't Kirk's grave.  Also, it showed the limits on Gary's powers
> at the time.
>
> 						Paul Meyerhofer

Oh come on.... You can't explain everything away. 'Where No Man Has Gone
Before' was the first televised episode, before there was any mention of
'James T. Kirk'. It's obvious that they forgot about the middle initial
and gave him a new one later.
      allegra\					       Dave Bloom
      harvard \ pyramid\
       seismo  \  pyrnj >!andromeda!dave         HOME: (201) 868-1764
     ut-sally   >!topaz/			 WORK: (201) 648-5083
       sri-iu  /
ihnp4!packard /		           "You're never alone with a schizophrenic...."

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/14/85)

>From: pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP
>
>> 	I just got the video tape of "where no man has gone before"
>> and the tombstone that Gary Mitchell sets up for kirk has his name
>> as "James R. Kirk" not "James T. Kirk".  The quality of the recording
>> is very good and you can see it clearly when Gray (Gray Lockwood)
>> tries to get out of the grave.
>
>   For those of you who own the photo novel for "Where No Man Has Gone
>Before", you would easily be able to tell that it read "R."  (Sometimes
>people do everything the hard way.)
>My personal feelings on it is that it was done on purpose to show that
>it truly wasn't Kirk's grave.  Also, it showed the limits on Gary's powers
>at the time.

Also, having "R" as a middle initial would have made it even harder to
convince Nomad of its error.

	Jackson Roykirk - James R. Kirk (?)

:-)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	    "It all started out as a mild curiousity in a junkyard...
	    and now it's turned out to be quite a spirit of adventure."

steph@graffiti.UUCP (stephanie da silva) (10/14/85)

> Oh come on.... You can't explain everything away. 'Where No Man Has Gone
> Before' was the first televised episode, before there was any mention of
> 'James T. Kirk'. It's obvious that they forgot about the middle initial
> and gave him a new one later.

I distinctly remember watching the first Star Trek episode (so many years ago)
and the one I recall to be the first was "The Man Trap". (But this was in
Canada). I thought that "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the third
regularly televised episode.

dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) (10/17/85)

>> Oh come on.... You can't explain everything away. 'Where No Man Has Gone
>> Before' was the first televised episode, before there was any mention of
>> 'James T. Kirk'. It's obvious that they forgot about the middle initial
>> and gave him a new one later.

> *** From: steph@graffiti.UUCP (stephanie da silva) ***
> I distinctly remember watching the first Star Trek episode
> and the one I recall to be the first was "The Man Trap". (But this was in
> Canada). I thought that "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the third
> regularly televised episode.

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the first *produced* episode.
"The Man Trap" was the first *aired* episode.
  (NBC network officials switched the order because they wanted a more )
  (typical monster-attcks-humans sci-fi episode to launch the series.  )
  (Sorry to reiterate what a lot of Trekkies know already...         :-)
Anyway, I think the order of production is what's pertinent here, not
necessarily the order of broadcast...  If it says "JAMES R. KIRK" on the
tombstone, then it probably was before they decided that T. was better...
Frankly, it don't matter to me none...  I'll still enjoy watching it.
But I do wonder... did they decide on the middle name "Tiberius" in the
60's, during the original run, or in the 70's, for the cartoon series?
"James Tiberius Kirk" was used only in the cartoons...
David C. Tuttle             "Life is just a parade of Republicans and meat."
Computer Science Dept.                                  -- Zippy the Pinhead
University of Washington
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!dtuttle

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (10/22/85)

In article <301@graffiti.UUCP> steph@graffiti.UUCP (stephanie da silva) writes:

>> Oh come on.... You can't explain everything away. 'Where No Man Has Gone
>> Before' was the first televised episode, before there was any mention of
>> 'James T. Kirk'. It's obvious that they forgot about the middle initial
>> and gave him a new one later.
>
>I distinctly remember watching the first Star Trek episode (so many years ago)
>and the one I recall to be the first was "The Man Trap". (But this was in
>Canada). I thought that "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the third
>regularly televised episode.

Your memory is correct. WNMHGB was filmed first, but shown later. This
is why the Doctor and uniforms are different, and they use laser rifles
instead of phaser.  The only curious item is that I seem to remember
Spock already refering to Kirk as Jim, which they cooled off for a while

Marv Moskowitz

frith@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) (10/24/85)

In article <8942@ritcv.UUCP> pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP writes:

>> 	I just got the video tape of "where no man has gone before"
>> and the tombstone that Gary Mitchell sets up for kirk has his name
>> as "James R. Kirk" not "James T. Kirk".  The quality of the recording
>> is very good and you can see it clearly when Gray (Gray Lockwood)
>> tries to get out of the grave.
>>

>    For those of you who own the photo novel for "Where No Man Has Gone
> Before", you would easily be able to tell that it read "R."  (Sometimes
> people do everything the hard way.)
> My personal feelings on it is that it was done on purpose to show that
> it truly wasn't Kirk's grave.  Also, it showed the limits on Gary's powers
> at the time.

More than likely it shows that James T. Kirk's middle name changed
between the filming of the pilot and the filming of the remaining
episodes for the first series.  This doesn't sound too unreasonable
to me.  Why must there be such deep significance attached to the every
production element of a narrowly budgeted 1960's television show?

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (10/28/85)

In article <487@ttidcb.UUCP> marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) writes:
	about WNMHGM (tombstone T vx. R junk) and make the comment:
>and they use laser rifles instead of phaser.

My understanding is that there are several types of phasers.  (The
deranged captain Tracy in the "yans vs coms" show (The Omega Glory)
orders Kirk to tell the Enterprise to beem down "six phaser #2s with
three extra power-packs each" or something like that (anyone got
it on tape?))

Type 1:	Small, concealabe hand model
Type 2: Pistal type used in most shows.
Type 3: The "paser-rifle" used in WNMHGB4
		(85% cofident on PHASER not LASER!)
Type 4: The "paser-cannon" used in "The Managerie" (Where Spock
	mutainously hijacks E to take Pike to _____ (name that planet))
Type 5: Main ship phasers.
Type 6: Alien versions.  (Name all the shows and aliens that use
		phasers)
--

			John W

Name:	John F. Wardale
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw
arpa:   astroatc!johnw@rsch.wisc.edu
snail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
audio:	608-221-9001 eXt 110

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (11/13/85)

In article <1076@trwrdc.UUCP> frith@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:
>More than likely it shows that James T. Kirk's middle name changed
>between the filming of the pilot and the filming of the remaining
>episodes for the first series....
>  Why must there be such deep significance attached to the every
>production element of a narrowly budgeted 1960's television show?

Blasphemy!  This person obviously believes Star Trek is just fiction !:-)
--

						Andre Guirard
						The Mad Potato Peel

=/?!  it's magic!