[net.startrek] New discussion

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (10/10/85)

Time for something new to talk about. I was watching an episode I have
*never* seen before the other day ( I come from a ST deprived nation )
along with a friend who also hadn't seen it ( he's american so has no
excuse ) and at some stage the Enterprize was dead as usual ( this was
Elaan of Troyius by the way ) and a comment along the lines of
"Klingon vessel approaching at better than warp 6" ( this isn't an
exact quote ). About a minute later the Klingon actually arrived and
proceed to pound poor old number 4 shield again. My friend commented
that is must be pretty fancy sensors that can detect a ship, moving
at that speed at that *distance*. Think about it. Warp 6 is
somethink like 3^6 lightyears/second or some such....anyway *real*
fast and if it took a minute to arrive, how far away was it when it
was first detected?! Add to that some of the other neat things the
ST-universe sensors can do...detect lifeforms, numbers and species
of, detect minerals ( not find Kirk just about every episode :-)

What could these things be doing? The only thing we have available
these days is radar....
--
            Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero                                      "Oh no, not again"
UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan    ARPA: ewan@washington.ARPA
Please check all nuclear arms at the door.

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (10/10/85)

> ... at some stage the Enterprize was dead as usual ( this was
> Elaan of Troyius by the way ) and a comment along the lines of
> "Klingon vessel approaching at better than warp 6" ( this isn't an
> exact quote ). About a minute later the Klingon actually arrived and
> proceed to pound poor old number 4 shield again. My friend commented
> that is must be pretty fancy sensors that can detect a ship, moving
> at that speed at that *distance*.

Let's see, if we were to reduce it to our familiar terms of "ordinary"
space, that would be 6^3*c or 216c, about 64.8 Gm/s.  Since it was "better"
than warp factor 6, let's just call it 65 Gm/s.  Say it really took about
30 seconds (TV is always going to distort time intervals - a countdown from
10 to 0 will sometimes take a minute) and the "distance" comes to 1950 Gm,
or almost 2 Terameters.  Since 1 AU is 150 Gm, that's about 13 AU's.  No
piddling distance, but well within the ballpark of a star system.

> ... Add to that some of the other neat things the
> ST-universe sensors can do...detect lifeforms, numbers and species
> of, detect minerals
>
> What could these things be doing? The only thing we have available
> these days is radar....
>             Ewan

That's not entirely true.  For things traveling a substantial fraction of the
speed of light (>0.01?), we could measure speed from the Doppler shift of
reflected light.  Assuming you know what the thing looks like at some definite
speed.  As far as detecting lifeforms goes, we can do some things like that
now.  But that's for a very limited range of lifeforms and relies mainly on
infrared detection.  We're pretty good at detecting minerals when we look for
them, using the whole electromagnetic spectrum to pick up signatures of
different things.  It's easy to tell whether a farmer is growing wheat or rye
on a 1-acre patch of land, given the use of the right satellite.  The sensors
of the Star Trek era are mostly just extensions of current technology, with
some deus ex machina thrown in.
--
"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (10/12/85)

In article <353@uw-june> ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) writes:

> at some stage the Enterprize was dead as usual ( this was
>Elaan of Troyius by the way ) and a comment along the lines of
>"Klingon vessel approaching at better than warp 6" ( this isn't an
>exact quote ). About a minute later the Klingon actually arrived and
>proceed to pound poor old number 4 shield again. My friend commented
>that is must be pretty fancy sensors that can detect a ship, moving
>at that speed at that *distance*. Think about it. Warp 6 is
>somethink like 3^6 lightyears/second or some such....anyway *real*
>fast and if it took a minute to arrive, how far away was it when it
>was first detected?! Add to that some of the other neat things the
>ST-universe sensors can do...detect lifeforms, numbers and species
>of, detect minerals ( not find Kirk just about every episode :-)
>
>What could these things be doing? The only thing we have available
>these days is radar....
>--

Actually, Warp 6 is only 4x10^7 miles per second :-).  (That comes out to about
1.69 days to the light-year, which is NOT fast for the Enterprise, at ALL.)

One possibility about how the sensors can see so far off could be that they
see through subspace.  I've heard the theory that subspace is "closer
together" than normal space, but still corresponds point-wise with it.  So
the sensors just look through the shorter distance through subspace
(substitute any distance that you're comfortable with for that distance)
and "see" into normal space.

I'm not sure that this subspace is the same as "warp space", as mentioned
by Diane Duane, but I wouldn't be surprised.

-----
G. T. Samson
The Evil MicroWizard
gts@wjh12.ARPA
(NOT, repeat NOT, samson%h-sc1@harvard.ARPA!!!)

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (10/16/85)

In article <353@uw-june> ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) writes:

>that is must be pretty fancy sensors that can detect a ship, moving
>at that speed at that *distance*. Think about it. Warp 6 is
>somethink like 3^6 lightyears/second or some such....anyway *real*
>fast and if it took a minute to arrive, how far away was it when it
>was first detected?!

I assume that the sensors are based on the reflections of
sub-space "waves."    Since they use there *VERY*ftl radio alot,
why not have a *VERY*ftl radar!?!
--second option:  If breaking the sound barrior causes a disturbance,
imagine what breaking the light barrior would do!  (Yes, but thunder
would then PRECEED the lighning :-)

>Add to that some of the other neat things the
>ST-universe sensors can do...detect lifeforms, numbers and species
>of, detect minerals ( not find Kirk just about every episode :-)

Does anyonw remeber the series "Search" with the ring/neckless
ir/zoom/super-camera, and *VERY* micro radio transevers?  They\
monitered the heros vital signs, position, etc.
Did anyonw read "Flight of the Dragonfly" ??  Each crew member
in it had a personal "imp," a 2 inch computer link that could
talk, and moniter position, vital signs, etc.
I hate to admit it, but does anyone else admit to seeing Knight Rider?
(Yes, KIT can do this to Micheal, now too!)

My impression it that all 3 of these are indended to be 2010-2050
range of technology.  Dragonfly was lanched in 2026!!

By the 23rd centry this form of monitoring should be common place!
(Bummer, Kirk, have to lay off the women, or everyone will really know!)

To err is Human, to really screw up world news requires "the net"
		John W
		{the world}uwvax!astroatc!johnw

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (10/18/85)

<<<<
<
< That's not entirely true.  For things traveling a substantial fraction of
< the speed of light (>0.01?), we could measure speed from the Doppler shift
< of reflected light.  Assuming you know what the thing looks like at some
< definite speed.
<
You can also listen for the sound of a supersonic jet and fire when you hear
it but I don't think you would last very long in battle.

There is a very simple way to detect and track ships moving at warp speeds.
If you can build a device that can "Warp" space then you can also build
something that can measure the amount of warp at some point in space. The
amount of warp will be greatest at the ship and will fall off in some 1/R^2
function to  near zero. The area in which a ships field will warp space to
a detectable amount is huge so that a incoming ship can be detected several
minutes away.

Another thing to consider is that a incoming ship at warp 6 will spend most
of its time deccelerating to a slow enough speed to use its weapons.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

jamesp@orstcs.UUCP (jamesp) (10/24/85)

/***** orstcs:net.startrek / astroatc!johnw /  1:00 am  Oct 16, 1985*/
--second option:  If breaking the sound barrior causes a disturbance,
imagine what breaking the light barrior would do!  (Yes, but thunder
would then PRECEED the lighning :-)

This is called "Cherenkov Radiation,"  and happens all the time.  Often a
subatomic particle is moving faster than the speed of light in a medium (for
example, the speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light in a
vacuum -- ever seen a picture of a nuclear reactor with that beautiful
sky-blue "radioactive" glow?  That's caused by lots of alpha and beta
particles ripping through the water faster than the speed of light.)

Sorry, but a person who likes physics has a tendecy to blah, blah, blah too
often...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"All that is gold does not glitter;		jamesp
 Not all those who wander are lost."	(In real life: James Perkins)

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (10/25/85)

>John Eaton

>function to  near zero. The area in which a ships field will warp space to
>a detectable amount is huge so that a incoming ship can be detected several
>minutes away.
 ^^^^^^^
This is something else that has worried me a bit. If the thing's travelling
at warp 6 ( which we all can agree is faster than the speed of light even
if we're not sure by how much ) then how can you possibly detect it? Unless
you have some sort of "beam" ( read radiation of some kind ) that goes
whereever a ship goes when it warps space.

>Another thing to consider is that a incoming ship at warp 6 will spend most
>of its time deccelerating to a slow enough speed to use its weapons.

It seems to me that if anything is going to go faster than light then it
can't have inertia ( that comes from mass ) so doesn't that mean acceleration
is "instantaneos"?

--
            Ewan

------------

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/27/85)

>>function to  near zero. The area in which a ships field will warp space to
>>a detectable amount is huge so that a incoming ship can be detected several
>>minutes away.
>  ^^^^^^^
> This is something else that has worried me a bit. If the thing's travelling
> at warp 6 ( which we all can agree is faster than the speed of light even
> if we're not sure by how much ) then how can you possibly detect it? Unless
> you have some sort of "beam" ( read radiation of some kind ) that goes
> whereever a ship goes when it warps space.

If you have no problem accepting that the ship goes faster than light, what's
wrong with a method of detection that operates faster still? Maybe a ship
using warp drive gives off a characteristic radiation that propagates much
faster than the ship's speed. Maybe some kind of faster than light radiation
is used as radar.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Analysis, Spock?"
"Very bad poetry, sir."

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) (10/30/85)

In article <8500013@orstcs.UUCP> jamesp@orstcs.UUCP (jamesp) writes:
>This is called "Cherenkov Radiation,"  and happens all the time.  Often a
>subatomic particle is moving faster than the speed of light in a medium (for
>example, the speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light in a
>vacuum -- ever seen a picture of a nuclear reactor with that beautiful
>sky-blue "radioactive" glow?  That's caused by lots of alpha and beta
>particles ripping through the water faster than the speed of light.)

WHAT???  The speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
in a vacuum????  AAAUUUGHH!!  Einstein just rolled over!  I always thought:
'The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what his
frame of reference'...  If what you say is true, then all kinds of phenomena
would open up simply by exceeding this 'slower' speed in water...  Eek!

>Sorry, but a person who likes physics has a tendecy to blah, blah, blah too
>often...

Hmmm....

>"All that is gold does not glitter;		jamesp
> Not all those who wander are lost."	(In real life: James Perkins)

-Sean Colbath

"Dave, why don't you take a stress pill and lie down for a while?"
UUCP:    {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:  SCCO@UORVM

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jonathan D.) (10/31/85)

> >This is called "Cherenkov Radiation,"  and happens all the time.  Often a
> >subatomic particle is moving faster than the speed of light in a medium (for
> >example, the speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
> >vacuum -- ever seen a picture of a nuclear reactor with that beautiful
> >sky-blue "radioactive" glow?  That's caused by lots of alpha and beta
> >particles ripping through the water faster than the speed of light.)
>
> WHAT???  The speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
> in a vacuum????  AAAUUUGHH!!  Einstein just rolled over!  I always thought:
> 'The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what his
> frame of reference'...  If what you say is true, then all kinds of phenomena
> would open up simply by exceeding this 'slower' speed in water...  Eek!

Ah, but you see, what you thought and what is reality are quite different.
The original poster is exactly correct, and you can check your nearest
physics references for its' validity.  Did you ever notice that when you
put a pencil in a glass of water that is seems to bend?  This is due to
the effect described.  Don't jump to conclusions as to what Einstein says
because it applies to the speed of light through the SAME medium, or

"the speed of light in a vacuum =the speed of light in a vacuum =
the speed of light in a vacuum =the speed of light in a vacuum =
the speed of light in a vacuum =  ... and so on for all observers of that
vacuum.  "
--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
				     arpa: trudel@blue.rutgers.edu

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (10/31/85)

In article <198@ur-tut.UUCP> scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) writes:
>WHAT???  The speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
>in a vacuum????  AAAUUUGHH!!  Einstein just rolled over!  I always thought:
>'The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what his
>frame of reference'...  If what you say is true, then all kinds of phenomena
>would open up simply by exceeding this 'slower' speed in water...  Eek!

i'm afraid he's right.  the law reads "the speed of light in a vacuum
is constant in all inertial frames of reference".  the speed of
light in anything other than a vacuum is slower.  read your physics
text.  any introductory relativity book will have it.  from this one
law, all the rest of special relativity is derived.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

New net address --

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (10/31/85)

[munch, munch]

If I remember my physics right, the speed of light *is* dependent on the media
involved: the formula I remember is 1 over the square root of epsilon times
mu.

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/01/85)

In article <198@ur-tut.UUCP> scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) writes:
>In article <8500013@orstcs.UUCP> jamesp@orstcs.UUCP (jamesp) writes:
>>This is called "Cherenkov Radiation,"  and happens all the time.  Often a
>>subatomic particle is moving faster than the speed of light in a medium (for
>>example, the speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light in a
>>vacuum -- ever seen a picture of a nuclear reactor with that beautiful
>>sky-blue "radioactive" glow?  That's caused by lots of alpha and beta
>>particles ripping through the water faster than the speed of light.)
>
>WHAT???  The speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
>in a vacuum????  AAAUUUGHH!!  Einstein just rolled over!  I always thought:
>'The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what his
>frame of reference'...  If what you say is true, then all kinds of phenomena
>would open up simply by exceeding this 'slower' speed in water...  Eek!

Equations in physics that refer to "the speed of light" really mean "the speed
of light in a vacuum".  This includes the statement about frames of reference.
Two observers in different frames of reference will see light travel at the
same speed IN A VACUUM.  The "in a vacuum" is understood.

No "all kinds of phenomena" would open up by exceeding the speed of light in
water, because the equations describing behavior of objects near the speed
of light also really mean "in a vacuum".  Unusual (i.e. impossible) phenomena
would only happen if you exceeded this higher speed.
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa

ix469@sdcc6.UUCP (david smith{|ix}) (11/02/85)

In article <198@ur-tut.UUCP> scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) writes:
>In article <8500013@orstcs.UUCP> jamesp@orstcs.UUCP (jamesp) writes:
>>This is called "Cherenkov Radiation,"  and happens all the time.  Often a
>>subatomic particle is moving faster than the speed of light in a medium (for
>>example, the speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light in a
>>vacuum -- ever seen a picture of a nuclear reactor with that beautiful
>>sky-blue "radioactive" glow?  That's caused by lots of alpha and beta
>>particles ripping through the water faster than the speed of light.)
>
>WHAT???  The speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
>in a vacuum????  AAAUUUGHH!!  Einstein just rolled over!  I always thought:
>'The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what his
>frame of reference'...  If what you say is true, then all kinds of phenomena
>would open up simply by exceeding this 'slower' speed in water...  Eek!

Sorry to tell you this, but it is slower in water.  Frame of
reference refers to *inertial* frame of reference, i.e. no matter
what speed you are moving at in a medium, the speed will always be
the same.  The speed is different in different mediums.
As a matter of fact, it does give rise to some interesting phenomena
such as refraction and reflection.

==================
David L. Smith
UC Sandy Eggo
{ucbvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix469

Albert, you can turn back over now.

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (11/04/85)

In article <198@ur-tut.UUCP> scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) writes:

>WHAT???  The speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
>in a vacuum????  AAAUUUGHH!!  Einstein just rolled over!  I always thought:
>'The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what his
>frame of reference'...  If what you say is true, then all kinds of phenomena
>would open up simply by exceeding this 'slower' speed in water...  Eek!

That's "The speed of light IN A VACUUM is the same for all observers . . ."
If you did the stereotypical 'two spaceships approaching each other at 0.8c'
experiment underwater, the basic premises of relativity would still hold.
(Hmm, 0.8c in a submarine, just think of the effects *that* would have!)

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (11/13/85)

> In article <8500013@orstcs.UUCP> jamesp@orstcs.UUCP (jamesp) writes:
> >This is called "Cherenkov Radiation,"  and happens all the time.  Often a
> >subatomic particle is moving faster than the speed of light in a medium (for
> >example, the speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light in a
> >vacuum -- ever seen a picture of a nuclear reactor with that beautiful
> >sky-blue "radioactive" glow?  That's caused by lots of alpha and beta
> >particles ripping through the water faster than the speed of light.)
>
> WHAT???  The speed of light in water is much less than the speed of light
> in a vacuum????  AAAUUUGHH!!  Einstein just rolled over!  I always thought:
> 'The speed of light is the same for all observers, no matter what his
> frame of reference'...  If what you say is true, then all kinds of phenomena
> would open up simply by exceeding this 'slower' speed in water...  Eek!

   Well, that is true.  The speed of light is the same for all observers,
no matter what his frame of reference *provided that the light is travelling
through the same medium for both observers*.  The speed of light *does*
change when it passes through different mediums.  This is why the different
wavelengths of light are split apart from each other as the light passes
through a prism.  (You are familiar with this concept, yes?)  The last
line of the first posting should have specified the speed of light with respect
to which medium...

--
     Adrian Zannin
..{allegra,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin