[net.startrek] vulcan triva question

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (10/18/85)

*** REPLACE T

I've only been around for a few months, so forgive me if this has
already been asked:

Who knows the origin of the vulcan's spread-finger salute?

(no peeking --o^o--)

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                       talcott!sesame!slerner@harvard.ARPA

jimc@haddock.UUCP (10/20/85)

> Who knows the origin of the vulcan's spread-finger salute?

According to Leonard Nimoy, it is derived from the way a rabbi
blesses the congregation when their backs are turned to him,
which is part of the ceremony.  Nimoy, as a curious little boy with
his parents at services, turned and watched the rabbi, even when
this was not permitted.  This had a lasting effect on him,
and during the shooting of "Amok Time", he suggested that this
same hand configuration be used as a greeting on Vulcan.

				Jim Campbell

	harvard		--+
	ihnp4		--+
	allegra		--+----!ima!haddock!jimc
	bbncca		--+
	decvax		--+

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/23/85)

In article <95300013@haddock.UUCP> jimc@haddock.UUCP writes:
>> Who knows the origin of the vulcan's spread-finger salute?
>According to Leonard Nimoy, it is derived from the way a rabbi
>blesses the congregation when their backs are turned to him,
>which is part of the ceremony.  Nimoy, as a curious little boy with
>his parents at services, turned and watched the rabbi, even when
>this was not permitted.  This had a lasting effect on him,
>and during the shooting of "Amok Time", he suggested that this
>same hand configuration be used as a greeting on Vulcan.
>				Jim Campbell

I agree.  Nimoy asked Celia Lovsky (T'Pau) if she could 'do this' when
they were discussing how to greet each other and since she could (Shatner
had to tie his fingers together in Search for Spock), they devised the
bit of business on the spot.

morrell@hplabsb.UUCP (10/29/85)

> In article <95300013@haddock.UUCP> jimc@haddock.UUCP writes:
> >> Who knows the origin of the vulcan's spread-finger salute?
> >...and during the shooting of "Amok Time", he suggested that this
> >same hand configuration be used as a greeting on Vulcan.
> >				Jim Campbell
>
> I agree.  Nimoy asked Celia Lovsky (T'Pau) if she could 'do this' when
> they were discussing how to greet each other and since she could (Shatner
> had to tie his fingers together in Search for Spock), they devised the
> bit of business on the spot.

Not quite true. Celia Lovsky had a fair amount of trouble 'doing it'.
According to Nimoy, she had to hold her fingers apart just below
the camera level until it was time.
When it came time for her to greet Spock, she brought her hand up briefly
from below the camera level.

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (10/29/85)

> >> Who knows the origin of the vulcan's spread-finger salute?
> >According to Leonard Nimoy, it is derived from the way a rabbi
> >blesses the congregation when their backs are turned to him,
> >which is part of the ceremony.  Nimoy, as a curious little boy with
> >his parents at services, turned and watched the rabbi, even when
> >this was not permitted.  This had a lasting effect on him,
> >and during the shooting of "Amok Time", he suggested that this
> >same hand configuration be used as a greeting on Vulcan.
> >				Jim Campbell
>
> I agree.  Nimoy asked Celia Lovsky (T'Pau) if she could 'do this' when
> they were discussing how to greet each other and since she could (Shatner
> had to tie his fingers together in Search for Spock), they devised the
> bit of business on the spot.

Essentialy correct, except it isn't a Rabbi but a member of the
priestly tribe (Kohanim) who blesses.  I have hear rumor that
Leonard himself is a Kohain.

--

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/30/85)

In article <3133@hplabsb.UUCP> morrell@hplabsb.UUCP writes:
>> >...and during the shooting of "Amok Time", he suggested that this
>> >same hand configuration be used as a greeting on Vulcan.
>> >				Jim Campbell
>> I agree.  Nimoy asked Celia Lovsky (T'Pau) if she could 'do this' when
>> they were discussing how to greet each other and since she could (Shatner
>> had to tie his fingers together in Search for Spock), they devised the
>> bit of business on the spot.
>Not quite true. Celia Lovsky had a fair amount of trouble 'doing it'.
>According to Nimoy, she had to hold her fingers apart just below
>the camera level until it was time.
>When it came time for her to greet Spock, she brought her hand up briefly
>from below the camera level.

Well, of cooooouuuurrrrrrse.  I always get ready before the cameras start
to roll too.  Doesn't everyone?
-from >> above.

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (11/13/85)

> In article <95300013@haddock.UUCP> jimc@haddock.UUCP writes:
> >> Who knows the origin of the vulcan's spread-finger salute?
> >According to Leonard Nimoy, it is derived from the way a rabbi
> >blesses the congregation when their backs are turned to him,
> >which is part of the ceremony.  Nimoy, as a curious little boy with
> >his parents at services, turned and watched the rabbi, even when
> >this was not permitted.  This had a lasting effect on him,
> >and during the shooting of "Amok Time", he suggested that this
> >same hand configuration be used as a greeting on Vulcan.
> >				Jim Campbell
>
> I agree.  Nimoy asked Celia Lovsky (T'Pau) if she could 'do this' when
> they were discussing how to greet each other and since she could (Shatner
> had to tie his fingers together in Search for Spock), they devised the
> bit of business on the spot.

Sorry...Celia *couldn't* 'do this'.  Watch Amok time again and pay attention
the part where she gives the salute.  As the camera is coming in on her, the
bottom of the field of view is well above her hands, because she is prying
her fingers into position.  Nimoy explained this on a TV special...
--
     Adrian Zannin
..{allegra,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (11/16/85)

> > >According to Leonard Nimoy, it is derived from the way a rabbi
> > >blesses the congregation when their backs are turned to him,
> > >which is part of the ceremony.  Nimoy, as a curious little boy with
> > >his parents at services, turned and watched the rabbi, even when
> > >this was not permitted.  This had a lasting effect on him,
> > >and during the shooting of "Amok Time", he suggested that this
> > >same hand configuration be used as a greeting on Vulcan.
> > >				Jim Campbell
	It's derived from the way a Jewish *priest*, not rabbi, blesses
the congregation.  Also, the congregation is forbidden to watch the
priests while the blessing is being done;  they are not required to turn
their backs to the priests, though many do.
	The joke is told of a grandfather teaching a child to not watch.
"If you look once you'll go blind;  if you look a second time you'll die!"
--
    Barry Buchbinder			    (608)221-5000
Agrigenetics Corp.; 5649 E. Buckeye Rd.; Madison WI 53716 USA