[net.startrek] commodores and admirals

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (11/13/85)

It's official, the navy has dropped the rank of commodore.  Those officers
who used to be commodores (one star) will now be known as "rear admiral
lower half".  Officers with two stars will now be known as "rear admiral
upper half".  I kid you not!

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (11/15/85)

In article <3168@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP writes:
>It's official, the navy has dropped the rank of commodore.  Those officers
>who used to be commodores (one star) will now be known as "rear admiral
>lower half".  Officers with two stars will now be known as "rear admiral
>upper half".  I kid you not!

Care to cite your source?  I just got out of the Navy, and about 3-4 yrs ago
they reinstituted the rank of Commodore.  It seems that the other one-star
officers (Brigadier General) were upset that the Navy one-stars got a free ride
to two stars.

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (11/18/85)

> >It's official, the navy has dropped the rank of commodore.  Those officers
> >who used to be commodores (one star) will now be known as "rear admiral
> >lower half".  Officers with two stars will now be known as "rear admiral
> >upper half".  I kid you not!
>
> Care to cite your source?  I just got out of the Navy, and about 3-4 yrs ago
> they reinstituted the rank of Commodore.  It seems that the other one-star
> officers (Brigadier General) were upset that the Navy one-stars got a free ride
> to two stars.
>
> --
> John Allred
> General Computer Company
> uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-milo!john

I am not the person who wrote the first message but...
I would like to back him up.  My room mate is a Navy ROTC and confirms that
it is indeed true.  (John, 3-4 years ago is quite a while.)

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/18/85)

I can support the claim about rear admirals lower/upper half.
I recently heard it on one of the nightly network news shows.
I wonder how long it will take to change this change of a change.

jimc@haddock.UUCP (11/19/85)

> >It's official, the navy has dropped the rank of commodore.  Those officers
> >who used to be commodores (one star) will now be known as "rear admiral
> >lower half".  Officers with two stars will now be known as "rear admiral
> >upper half".  I kid you not!
>
> Care to cite your source?  I just got out of the Navy, and about
> 3-4 yrs ago they reinstituted the rank of Commodore.  It seems
> that the other one-star officers (Brigadier General) were upset
> that the Navy one-stars got a free ride to two stars.

You are right -- the rank "Commodore" was re-installed in 1981.
However, the author of the first quotation cited above is right,
too; on NBC News about a week ago, I heard that the Navy had
dropped the rank "Commodore" and replaced it with "Rear Admiral,
Lower Half." There must have been some powerful political and
economic motives for this decision, since they certainly did not
do this because the new ranking has a better name!

Jim Campbell
{decvax ! cca | yale | ihnp4 | cbosgd}!ima!jimc
{bbncca | harvard | zurton | cfib | mit-ems | wjh12 }!ima!jimc
{uscvax | ucla-vax | vortex}!ism780!jimc
INTERACTIVE Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart St, Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155