[net.startrek] phasers

ralph (09/10/82)

OK, I give up. How *do* phasers work? Why is it that they only vaporize
their target, without getting anything else around them? A very neat
weapon indeed. Does the stun setting work on the same principle as the
"kill" setting? Are there various levels between stun and kill?

And since we're on the subject, I have to say that I liked the phaser
"effect" in TWoK better than the old tv series' greenies.

				Live Long and Prosper,

					Ralph Keyser
					inuxc!ralph

oster (09/13/82)

Okay Scotty, set your phasers on "maim".
	David Oster

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (10/21/85)

[...]
> 	However, we *did* see the entire dialogue scene between Pike and the
> 	ship's doctor, as well as No. 1's attempt to blast the cave entrance
> 	with a huge laser (which brings up the question: if in Pike's time
> 	they were using lasers, when did phasers come to being? what does
> 	"phaser" stand for?)
>

> 	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

A laser can only go the speed of light.  I would assume a phaser can
go much faster since they can be used in combat at warp speeds.  A
laser would be a slow projectile weapon.

Of course everyone is going to bring up "Wink of An Eye" where the
phaser beam moves slowly and what's-her-face steps out of the way.

Well, all I can say is we have yet another Star Trek inconsistancy.  (YASTI)
--

                         --Kevin Chu
                         ..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

en120ao@unm-la.UUCP (10/29/85)

> [...]
> > 	However, we *did* see the entire dialogue scene between Pike and the
> > 	ship's doctor, as well as No. 1's attempt to blast the cave entrance
> > 	with a huge laser (which brings up the question: if in Pike's time
> > 	they were using lasers, when did phasers come to being? what does
> > 	"phaser" stand for?)
> >

> > 	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)
>
> A laser can only go the speed of light.  I would assume a phaser can
> go much faster since they can be used in combat at warp speeds.  A
> laser would be a slow projectile weapon.
>
> Of course everyone is going to bring up "Wink of An Eye" where the
> phaser beam moves slowly and what's-her-face steps out of the way.
>
> Well, all I can say is we have yet another Star Trek inconsistancy.  (YASTI)
> --
>
>                          --Kevin Chu
>                          ..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020
>
> /ex

 	From what I understand, the word phaser is for the phasing effect.
That means that you can change the power level of the weapon.
	for example: stun to distrupt to overload.
	I don't believe that the phasers would be any faster then the speed
of light.  Then again if it was faster, the light would still be the same speed.
but the phaser effect would be faster than light.

          Mike p*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (10/30/85)

>My understanding is that there are several types of phasers.  (The
>Type 1:	Small, concealabe hand model

	This is the only actual Federation hand-held phaser (as such)

>Type 2: Pistal type used in most shows.

	The type 2 phaser (pistol) is actually a type 1 phaser with
	an external powerpack (to extend the power and range) in a pistol
	grip.

>Type 3: The "paser-rifle" used in WNMHGB4
>		(85% cofident on PHASER not LASER!)

	There *are* phaser rifles (again, type-1 phasers, with much
	larger external power packs in a rifle stock).  However, you
	can't really include the weapons in "Where No Man Has Gone
	Before", since that was a pilot, and the Star Trek universe
	hadn't quite been worked out yet... the rifles weren't the same.

>Type 4: The "paser-cannon" used in "The Managerie" (Where Spock
>	mutainously hijacks E to take Pike to _____ (name that planet))

	The weapons used in The Cage were lasers, not phasers.  Again,
	discrepancies are explained by the fact that The Cage (later
	adapted to the 2-part episode The Menagerie) was a pilot, and
	not subject to all the conventions and technology of the later
	Star Trek series.

>Type 5: Main ship phasers.

	Again, type 1 phasers with an even larger external power pack
	in the shape of a starship ;-) (``I say, that's a *joke*, son!'')

>Type 6: Alien versions.  (Name all the shows and aliens that use
>		phasers)

	I'll pass on this one, but I don't remember many aliens using
	phasers.  Klingons, yes... I'm not even sure about the Romulans,
	but I don't think so.

>			John W

	/dave

Dave Butenhof
ZKO2-3/K06
Digital Equipment Corp.
110 Spitbrook Road
Nashua NH 03062

clt::butenhof
butenhof%clt.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
{allegra,shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-clt!butenhof

Any resemblance  between  the  opinions  expressed  in  this article and any
actual  opinions,  living  or  dead,  is strictly coincidental and in no way
binding  upon either myself or upon Digital Equipment Corporation, much less
upon reality itself.

``Any sufficiently  advanced  technology  is indistinguishable from a rigged
demo.''

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/30/85)

> In article <487@ttidcb.UUCP> marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) writes:
> 	about WNMHGM (tombstone T vx. R junk) and make the comment:
> >and they use laser rifles instead of phaser.
>
> My understanding is that there are several types of phasers.  (The
> deranged captain Tracy in the "yans vs coms" show (The Omega Glory)
> orders Kirk to tell the Enterprise to beem down "six phaser #2s with
> three extra power-packs each" or something like that (anyone got
> it on tape?))
>
> Type 1:	Small, concealabe hand model
> Type 2: Pistal type used in most shows.
> Type 3: The "paser-rifle" used in WNMHGB4
> 		(85% cofident on PHASER not LASER!)
> Type 4: The "paser-cannon" used in "The Managerie" (Where Spock
> 	mutainously hijacks E to take Pike to _____ (name that planet))
> Type 5: Main ship phasers.
> Type 6: Alien versions.  (Name all the shows and aliens that use
> 		phasers)
> --

Type 2 is a Type 1 inserted in a pistal grip holder with, presumably, a
larger power pack.

samson@h-sc1.UUCP (gregory samson) (10/31/85)

In article <1156@decwrl.UUCP> Dave Butenhof writes:
>>Type 6: Alien versions.  (Name all the shows and aliens that use
>>		phasers)
>
>	I'll pass on this one, but I don't remember many aliens using
>	phasers.  Klingons, yes... I'm not even sure about the Romulans,
>	but I don't think so.
>
>>			John W
>
>	/dave
>
>Dave Butenhof
>butenhof%clt.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

I believe the Klingons relied entirely on disruptors, not phasers or any
such other thing.  Even the Klingon starships used disruptor banks!

Also, they looked just like the weapons found on Eminiar 7.  But I think
that's been mentioned before...

Quickie trivia: the Enterprise had warp drive, powered by a matter/antimatter
		reaction unit.
		What did the Klingon starships use?
G. T. Samson
The Evil MicroWizard
gts@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (11/01/85)

> I believe the Klingons relied entirely on disruptors, not phasers or any
> such other thing.  Even the Klingon starships used disruptor banks!
>
> G. T. Samson

I don't know what the hand guns are, but Klingon ships have phasers, too.
--

	--Kevin Chu
	..!{ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (11/02/85)

> I believe the Klingons relied entirely on disruptors, not phasers or any
> such other thing.  Even the Klingon starships used disruptor banks!
>
> Also, they looked just like the weapons found on Eminiar 7.  But I think
> that's been mentioned before...

Errand of Mercy talks about Klingon phasers.

> Quickie trivia: the Enterprise had warp drive, powered by a matter/antimatter
> 		reaction unit.
> 		What did the Klingon starships use?

Final Reflection says warp drive.  The exact translation of Klingon idioms
can be misleading.
> gts@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU

				Lord Kahless

overlord@nmtvax.UUCP (11/02/85)

>> 	they were using lasers, when did phasers come to being? what does
>> 	"phaser" stand for?)
>>

>> 	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

LASER: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emmision of Radiation.

PHASER: Phased Amplification by Stimulated Emmision of Radiation.

     This phased amplification is why the phaser had so many settings.
You could selectivly cause a desired effect....
heat: amplify in the IR region.
Stun: amplify on the frequency/voltage/whatever for a nerve cell to fire.
Disrupt: amplify on known resonance frequencies until it explodes.
Etc.

As I understand it, we have very similar devices today. (but not so small
or varying in effect)  So the phaser is not a "far-fetched" device.
Oh well, so much for my $0.02 worth.

--
...{convex,ucbvax,gatech,csu-cs,anl-mcs}!unmvax!nmtvax!overlord
                         ...{purdue,cmc12}!lanl!nmtvax!overlord

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (11/04/85)

In a previous article I posted a list of phasers by number.  Some
netter posted a follow-up claiming that they were all "type-1 phasers
with different size power-packs (I read as "batteries").

Anyway, I just (3 hours ago) saw "Obsession" (The one where Kirk
is "obsessed" with killing the gas cloud that he fialed to kill 11
years ago when it killed in first CO capt. Garivek.   It smells like
sickeningly sweet--like being smothered in honey)  After the first
group (of 3) red shirts bite it, Kirk orders, and I quote:
I want 4 men, armed with PHASER TWO, set on disrupt.

Also, I remember other landing party arrangements calling for
phaser #1 or phaser #2.  Can anyone out there quote any?
--

			John W

Name:	John F. Wardale
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw
arpa:   astroatc!johnw@rsch.wisc.edu
snail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
audio:	608-221-9001 eXt 110

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (11/04/85)

In article <3138@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP writes:
>> In article <487@ttidcb.UUCP> marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) writes:
>> >and they use laser rifles instead of phaser.
>> My understanding is that there are several types of phasers.  (The
>> Type 1:	Small, concealabe hand model
>> Type 2: Pistal type used in most shows.
>> Type 3: The "paser-rifle" used in WNMHGB4
>> Type 4: The "paser-cannon" used in "The Managerie" (Where Spock
>> Type 5: Main ship phasers.
>> Type 6: Alien versions.  (Name all the shows and aliens that use
>Type 2 is a Type 1 inserted in a pistal grip holder with, presumably, a
>larger power pack.

The difference between Phaser 1 and Phaser 2 brought out in The Devil in
the Dark had something to do with power since the first was too weak to
affect a silicon-based being.  This would fit in with your last comment,
maybe.
RE: WNMHGB - it was "phaser rifle" and "laser cannon".
sb

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (11/05/85)

> In a previous article I posted a list of phasers by number.  Some
> netter posted a follow-up claiming that they were all "type-1 phasers
> with different size power-packs (I read as "batteries").
>
> Anyway, I just (3 hours ago) saw "Obsession" (The one where Kirk
> is "obsessed" with killing the gas cloud that he fialed to kill 11
> years ago when it killed in first CO capt. Garivek.   It smells like
> sickeningly sweet--like being smothered in honey)  After the first
> group (of 3) red shirts bite it, Kirk orders, and I quote:
> I want 4 men, armed with PHASER TWO, set on disrupt.
>
> Also, I remember other landing party arrangements calling for
> phaser #1 or phaser #2.  Can anyone out there quote any?
> --
>
> 			John W

A phaser 2 has a phaser 1 as a power source.  See the ST tech man for more.

In "Devil in the Dark", Spock talks about phaser 2's being more powerful than
phaser 1's.
--

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) (11/05/85)

> Also, I remember other landing party arrangements calling for
> phaser #1 or phaser #2.  Can anyone out there quote any?
> --
> UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw

Try Devil in the Dark for a nice comparison of Phaser # 1/
Phaser # 2.

			Lord Kahless

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (11/05/85)

In <847@nmtvax.UUCP>, overlord@nmtvax.UUCP (Alan Kerr) writes:

>      This phased amplification is why the phaser had so many settings.
> You could selectivly cause a desired effect....
> heat: amplify in the IR region.
> Stun: amplify on the frequency/voltage/whatever for a nerve cell to fire.
> Disrupt: amplify on known resonance frequencies until it explodes.
> Etc.

	Actually, the selectivity was much more refined as explained by
Mike McNally in <18200019@smu.UUCP> over a year ago:

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) (11/08/85)

> > 3.  Make-object-explode.  I saw this in "Private Little War".  In this
> > episode, we also learn that communicators, when applied correctly, can
> > make huge rocks come tumbling down a hillside.

I believe you're referring to the communicators used in Friday's Child.

> > 4.  Make-object-get-real-hot.  Can't remember the episode,; Zulu and
> > some guys heat up a rock in an attempt to get warm.

Enemy within, also Rand used it in Corbomite Maneuver to make hot coffee,
also McCoy warmed rocks for Kirk in Private Little War.

> > Mike McNally
> > ...convex!smu!mike

				Lord Kahless

fujiura@tkhv01.DECfujiura@tkhv01.DECfujiura@tkhv01.DECfujiura@tkhv01.DEC (Ichiri Fujiura TKH /Region/Engineering Tokyo, Japan) (11/11/85)

>> I believe the Klingons relied entirely on disruptors, not phasers or any
>> such other thing.  Even the Klingon starships used disruptor banks!
>>
>> G. T. Samson
>
>I don't know what the hand guns are, but Klingon ships have phasers, too.
>--
>
>	--Kevin Chu

I have a plan of Klingon D-7 "KLOLODE" Class cruiser drawn by Geoffrey Mandel.
It says "KLOLODE" class battle cruisers have 9 phasers and 4 disruptors.

----- Klingon "KLOLODE" class cruiser(type "D-7")-----

                     []=====[]
                   +-----------+
        ----##-----|-----------|------##----
    _---_______     /   o o   \      _______---_
// -----      #----|           |-----#      ------\\
\   \               \  (   )  /                 /   /
 \ o \                \-###-/                 / o /
  ----                                        ----

-------------------- Front view ----------------------

	o : Distruptor (2 top of the ship, 2 top of the propulsion unit)
	# : Phaser     (6 on the wing, 3 top of the ship)

Also,
"Making of STAR TREK" says "Klingons are armed with Sonic Disrupter Pistols.".

-Ichiri Fujiura

UUCP      {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!dec-rher!dec-tkov60!fujiura
ARPA      fujiura%tkov60.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Nihon Digital Equipment Corp. Software Services Engineering Div.
3-1-1 Higashi-Ikubukuro Toshima-ku Tokyo, 170 Japan

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (11/22/85)

               .
               .
               .

> 	The weapons used in The Cage were lasers, not phasers.  Again,
> 	discrepancies are explained by the fact that The Cage (later
> 	adapted to the 2-part episode The Menagerie) was a pilot, and
> 	not subject to all the conventions and technology of the later
> 	Star Trek series.
>
> >Type 5: Main ship phasers.
>
> 	Again, type 1 phasers with an even larger external power pack
> 	in the shape of a starship ;-) (``I say, that's a *joke*, son!'')
>
> >Type 6: Alien versions.  (Name all the shows and aliens that use
> >		phasers)
>
> 	I'll pass on this one, but I don't remember many aliens using
> 	phasers.  Klingons, yes... I'm not even sure about the Romulans,
> 	but I don't think so.

Actually I remeber the Klingon weapons as being refered to as *disruptors*, not
phasers...

--
     Adrian Zannin
..{allegra,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin