[net.startrek] Reality intrudes........

karel@ihuxp.UUCP (m. strabala ) (11/14/85)

   I, a confirmed trekkie, read the trekkie news today for the
first time and found it ... interesting:

- Discussions about how fast warp k REALLY is.
- Does Spock lie? If so, what are his motivations?
- Arguments about in which episode a sentence fragment was spoken.
- In-depth analyses of what sort of UNDERWEAR (if any) the crew wears.
- Indignance over inconsistencies between episodes, as if God
  Himself were caught stealing from orphans at Christmastime.

   One person seemed to be getting a glimmer of a clue - he/she suggested
that perhaps the writers of the show actually (gasp) MAKE UP some of
Spock's spoken statistics. This is an important concept, so let
us rephrase it, in order that it not be overlooked. The suggestion
was that perhaps the imaginary words placed in the imaginary mouth
of this imaginary character might in fact be quite imaginary.

   We had best not explore too deeply, for we are then led to the
following inescapable conclusions:

- Star Trek is only a tv show, with mediocre acting at that
  (have you ever seen T. J. Hooker? Shatner is a graduate
  of the Famous Overactors School).
- inconsistencies arise because ST is not a tv show based on reality,
  but a "reality" based upon a tv show.
- Whether we realize it or not, we have better things.
  to do with our time.

bradley@im4u.UUCP (David K. Bradley) (11/15/85)

In article <1220@ihuxp.UUCP> karel@ihuxp.UUCP (m. strabala ) writes:

>- Whether we realize it or not, we have better things.
>  to do with our time.
>
>                   >>>>>>>> TREKKIE*BUSTER

Then do your busting elsewhere.
--
David K. Bradley

Computer Science Department,                    ARPA:  bradley@sally.UTEXAS.EDU
The University of Texas at Austin               UUCP:     bradley@ut-sally.UUCP
                           {ihnp4,harvard,gatech,ctvax,seismo}!ut-sally!bradley

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/16/85)

karel@ihuxp.UUCP writes:

> - Star Trek is only a tv show, with mediocre acting at that
>   (have you ever seen T. J. Hooker? Shatner is a graduate
>   of the Famous Overactors School).
> - inconsistencies arise because ST is not a tv show based on reality,
>   but a "reality" based upon a tv show.
> - Whether we realize it or not, we have better things.
>   to do with our time.
>
>                    >>>>>>>> TREKKIE*BUSTER

My goodness, you're right! Thank you for enlightening us poor, confused
morons who thought we were having fun. I'm sorry we wasted some of your
precious time by existing. Perhaps you, with your great wisdom, can tell
us how we can best spend every waking moment making the world a better
place the way you do. Does "better things to do with our time" mean writing
notes telling people how stupid they are for doing anything you don't like
instead of doing "better things with their time", such as writing notes
that (etc.)?

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"A flash in front of my eyes ... I blink ... open my eyes to ... discover I am
 a dog in a pickup truck full of garbage ... no one but me sees the lid blow
 off the can ... it's 14 miles to the dump ... this is ... at last ... heaven."

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (11/18/85)

In article <1220@ihuxp.UUCP>, karel@ihuxp.UUCP (m. strabala ) writes:

>    I, a confirmed trekkie, read the trekkie news today for the
> first time and found it ... interesting:

[many nasty observations here...]

>    We had best not explore too deeply, for we are then led to the
> following inescapable conclusions:
>
> - Star Trek is only a tv show, with mediocre acting at that
>   (have you ever seen T. J. Hooker? Shatner is a graduate
>   of the Famous Overactors School).
> - inconsistencies arise because ST is not a tv show based on reality,
>   but a "reality" based upon a tv show.
> - Whether we realize it or not, we have better things.
>   to do with our time.
>
>                    >>>>>>>> TREKKIE*BUSTER

Better things to do, huh?  Of course.  That's why Trivial Pursuit was
such a big hit, because people didn't care about trivia.  And this
is the GENERAL case!  Trekkies (and trekkists and trekkers) all care
much more about this sort of thing than Mundanes do.  At least, *MOST*
of them do... you seem to be a (rare) exception.

Go bust somewhere else.  Maybe you can bust Flamers... they've GOT to
have something better to do with their time.

Name:		G. T. Samson
Title:		The Evil MicroWizard
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
		{PLEASE, don't reply to samson@h-sc1@harvard!!!}
USMail:		Lowell N-43, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

davis@ichaya.UUCP (Andrew J. Davis) (11/19/85)

>> - Star Trek is only a tv show, with mediocre acting at that
>>   (have you ever seen T. J. Hooker? Shatner is a graduate
>>  of the Famous Overactors School).
>> - inconsistencies arise because ST is not a tv show based on reality,
>>   but a "reality" based upon a tv show.
>> - Whether we realize it or not, we have better things.
>>   to do with our time.
>>
>>                    >>>>>>>> TREKKIE*BUSTER

> My goodness, you're right! Thank you for enlightening us poor, confused
> morons who thought we were having fun. I'm sorry we wasted some of your
> precious time by existing. Perhaps you, with your great wisdom, can tell
> us how we can best spend every waking moment making the world a better
> place the way you do. Does "better things to do with our time" mean writing
> notes telling people how stupid they are for doing anything you don't like
> instead of doing "better things with their time", such as writing notes
>that (etc.)?

>			Scott McEwan

I applaud you, Scott.  Thank you for that rather eloquent response in
defense of all of us who have enjoyed Star Trek for many years. . . .

					Andrew J. Davis

*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Digital Equipment Corporation
67 Forest Street
Marlboro, Mass. 01752

UUCP:  decvax!ichaya!davis
ENET:  ICHAYA::DAVIS

"Gentlemen, surely you're not going to take the word of a souless mechanical
device over that of a real flesh and blood man."  -- H. Mudd
*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (11/20/85)

In <1220@ihuxp.UUCP>, karel@ihuxp.UUCP (m. strabala ) writes:
>    I, a confirmed trekkie, read the trekkie news today for the
> first time and found it ... interesting:
	...flames follow...
> - Whether we realize it or not, we have better things.
>   to do with our time.

	Are the 'u' and 'g' keys broken on your terminal?  I enthu-
siactically read first-time posters for the pearls of wisdom that they
can come up with.

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

ins_argr@jhunix.UUCP (Robert G Roberds) (11/24/85)

>    I, a confirmed trekkie, read the trekkie news today for the
> first time and found it ... interesting:
>
> - Discussions about how fast warp k REALLY is.
> - Does Spock lie? If so, what are his motivations?
(Blah blah blah)  -Miri

>    One person seemed to be getting a glimmer of a clue - he/she suggested
> that perhaps the writers of the show actually (gasp) MAKE UP some of
> Spock's spoken statistics. This is an important concept, so let
> us rephrase it, in order that it not be overlooked. The suggestion
> was that perhaps the imaginary words placed in the imaginary mouth
> of this imaginary character might in fact be quite imaginary.

> - Star Trek is only a tv show, with mediocre acting at that
>   (have you ever seen T. J. Hooker? Shatner is a graduate
>   of the Famous Overactors School).

>                    >>>>>>>> TREKKIE*BUSTER

Listen, you. We got just one thing to say to your kind:

Bonk bonk on the head! Bonk bonk! Bonk bonk!
--

SPOKEN	: Bob Roberds
UUCP	:  ...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_argr

	"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"