[net.startrek] Shields & Transporter Question

davis@ichaya.UUCP (Andrew J. Davis) (11/21/85)

> Recently I watched the Armageddon episode.  In it, Scotty refused
> to bring down the shields as the hoodwinked ambassador had demanded.
> This was justisfied since the bad guys were ready to make noise
> all over the ship if Scotty did.  Later, though, the ambassador
> and his sidekick beam down to the planet.  My question: I thought
> the shields had to be down in order to beam someone down.  Thus
> it seems that either Scotty backed off for a moment and got lucky
> (pretty dangerous), or that I am misinformed, or that this is
> another example of something we aren't supposed to worry about.
> After all, it is only a tv show.

> Any comments?

You are quite right.  In more that one episode we are told that the
landing party can not be beamed aboard at the present time because the
shields were up because the Enterprise was currently engaged in phaser
attack with a random enemy.  I assume that since this is true the reverse
application of beaming DOWN with shields up is also true.

					Andrew J. Davis

*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Digital Equipment Corporation
67 Forest Street
Marlboro, Mass. 01752

UUCP:  decvax!ichaya!davis
ENET:  ICHAYA::DAVIS

"Gentlemen, surely you're not going to take the word of a souless mechanical
device over that of a real flesh and blood man."  -- H. Mudd
*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (11/25/85)

In article <114@ichaya.UUCP> davis@ichaya.UUCP (Andrew J. Davis) writes:
>> Recently I watched the Armageddon episode.  In it, Scotty refused
>> to bring down the shields as the hoodwinked ambassador had demanded.
>> This was justisfied since the bad guys were ready to make noise
>> all over the ship if Scotty did.  Later, though, the ambassador
>> and his sidekick beam down to the planet.  My question: I thought
>> the shields had to be down in order to beam someone down.  Thus
>> it seems that either Scotty backed off for a moment and got lucky
>> (pretty dangerous), or that I am misinformed, or that this is
>> another example of something we aren't supposed to worry about.
>> After all, it is only a tv show.
>
>> Any comments?
>
>You are quite right.  In more that one episode we are told that the
>landing party can not be beamed aboard at the present time because the
>shields were up because the Enterprise was currently engaged in phaser
>attack with a random enemy.  I assume that since this is true the reverse
>application of beaming DOWN with shields up is also true.

   Also, in one episode (title escapes me--could even be A Taste of Arm-
ageddon, I'm not sure) Scotty is in command and can't fire phaser with
the shields up, but he says he can use photon torpedos if he has to.

  Basically, depending on who the writer was, the following things could
or could not be used through shields:  transporter, phasers, photon torpedos.

--Mr. Blore, the dj who would not die
--aka Steve Howard, ...udenva!showard