[net.startrek] More Trivia

eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) (08/17/85)

And now for some more trivia questions...

  1) How many episodes can you name in which Spock smiles?
     (NOT just smirks but actually smiles.)
     [There are at least 6.]

  2) How many episodes can you name in which the transporter is
     NOT used (implied or otherwise) ?
     [There's more than one.]

  3) How many episodes can you name in which a double was used
     for Captain Kirk?  (NOT a stunt double.)  For example, there
     are some episodes in which there are two Kirks on the screen
     at the same time.  Beware!  Be sure your double is not just
     a video special effect.  [Most people can name two episodes
     fairly fast, but is that all?]

If you like this kind of trivia question, let me know and I'll post
some more.  Enjoy!

				    Eric

rsf@Shasta.ARPA (08/25/85)

A couple of weeks ago I asked if anyone could name the episodes in which the
Enterprise is seen orbiting a planet in other than the usual left-to-right
direction.  Several people mentioned "Mirror, Mirror", in which the
Enterprise is shown quickly flipping back and forth just as the landing
party gets transported to the parallel universe.  It had been a long time
since I had seen "Mirror, Mirror" - the episode that I actually had in mind
was "Shore Leave", where the Enterprise orbits right-to-left.

I found it rather disappointing that there was so little variation in
planetary views from episode to episode.  In fact, one planet in particular
(I'm sure you all know the one - with the creamy-brown clouds!) is shown week
after week.  I guess this was a symptom of tight budgets.  It's interesting
that we never got to see any ringed planets, and that planets were always
shown as `full' - i.e. no crescent/gibbous views.

Now for another trivia question:
Which episode contains a reference to the game of golf?

Ross Finlayson
Stanford CS Dept.
ARPA: rsf@su-pescadero.ARPA
UUCP: ...!{decwrl,ucbvax}!Glacier!Shasta!rsf

"Very bad poetry, captain."

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (09/03/85)

In article <7791@Shasta.ARPA> rsf@Shasta.ARPA writes:
>Now for another trivia question:
>Which episode contains a reference to the game of golf?
>Ross Finlayson
>Stanford CS Dept.

In "I, Mudd" Harry pretends to swing and others shout "fore!" when
they're are confusing the androids.
sb
P.S. Your question was a toughie!

eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) (09/28/85)

Here are my answers....

  1) How many episodes can you name in which Spock falls in love?

     1. "This Side Of Paradise" with Leila.
     2. "All Our Yesterdays" with Zarabeth.
     3. "The Enterprise Incident" with the Romulan commander, although
	     I think that this one is questionable.  The only real
	     evidence we have is that Spock says that "[he] too, felt
	     something."  Assuming that Spock isn't lying, (I mean
	     exaggerating, sorry) -- after all, the whole episode was
	     one big charade -- then yes, this is a correct answer.

     Spock definitely did not fall in love in "The Naked Time".  He
     kept saying he was sorry to nurse Chapel and ran away to cry about
     it.  I don't think that he fell in love in "The Cloud Minders".
     Maybe you could present a convincing case that he did.

  2) How many episodes can you name in which the Enterprise moves faster
     than its maximum safe speed (warp 6)?

     1. "Arena"
     2. "Obsession"
     3. "The Naked Time"
     4. "Tomorrow Is Yesterday"
     5. "Assignment: Earth"
     6. "By Any Other Name"         (questionable)
     7. "The Changeling"            (questionable)
     8. "That Which Survives"       (questionable)

     Scott Berry has already pointed out that numbers 6 and 7 were
     not "unsafe" even though the Enterprise did move faster than
     warp 6.  I question the validity of number 8.  In that episode,
     I believe the Enterprise was teleported several lightyears away.
     Yet some contend that it was "hurled" away at a incredable speed.
     I haven't seen this episode in quite some time; can someone
     verify this?

  3) How many episodes can you name in which the Enterprise is being
     run by only a skeletal crew (less than 20 people)?

     1. "The Ultimate Computer"
     2. "Court-Martial"
     3. "Requiem For Methusela"
     4. "Day Of The Dove"           (Hmm....maybe)
     5. "By Any Other Name"
     6. "The Paradise Syndrome"
     7. "I Mudd"                    (I suppose so)

BONUS QUESTION:
     Name the episode in which a regular dies.
     [Definitions:  Regular - Someone who makes an appearance on at
			      least 50% of the episodes.
		    Die     - NOT alive.]

     When I asked this question, I was thinking of McCoy in "Shore Leave"
     who was pronounced dead by Kirk but then was later "repaired".
     I had completely forgot about Scotty in "The Changeling" who was
     killed by Nomad (then later repaired by Nomad).  So that makes
     two episodes.  Oops.  No regular actually DIES in any other episode.

And now for a fresh set of trivia....

  1) How many episodes can you name in which Spock hides his ears?

  2) How many episodes can you name in which someone transports/teleports
     onto the Enterprise to somewhere other than the transporter room?

  3) How many episodes can you name in which we see the bridge of a
     starship other than the Enterprise?

BONUS QUESTION:
     Name the episode in which Spock refers to McCoy as "Bones".

I await your response.  Enjoy!

				    Eric
				    ...!ut-sally!oakhill!eric

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (10/01/85)

      1) How many episodes can you name in which Spock hides his ears?

		The City on the Edge of Forever
		Assignment Earth
		A Piece of the Action

      2) How many episodes can you name in which someone transports/teleports
         onto the Enterprise to somewhere other than the transporter room?

		Let that be your last Battlefield
		Squire of Gothos
		And the children shall lead (will you take someTHING?)
		Day of the dove (Kirk beams into Engr.)

      3) How many episodes can you name in which we see the bridge of a
         starship other than the Enterprise?

		Technically, none, since all of them are a redress of the
		Enterprise set.  Some of the ones that you're thinking of:

		The Ultimate computer
		The doomsday machine
		The Enterpise incident (you didn't say it had to be
					a federation ship).

    BONUS QUESTION:
         Name the episode in which Spock refers to McCoy as "Bones".

	The gunfight at the OK Corral episode.
--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: ...!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax,hplabs,allegra,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!uscvax!tli

stoner@qumix.UUCP (Dave Stone) (10/06/85)

*************** Spock's Brain

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (10/06/85)

In article <128@oberon.UUCP>, tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) writes:

>       1) How many episodes can you name in which Spock hides his ears?
>
> 		The City on the Edge of Forever
> 		Assignment Earth
> 		A Piece of the Action

		Patterns of Force

>       3) How many episodes can you name in which we see the bridge of a
>          starship other than the Enterprise?
>
> 		The doomsday machine

	No we don't. I just saw this episode on Friday. When they first
scan the Constellation, Spock tells us that the bridge is uninhabitable
due to battle damage. Jim runs the Constellation from its Auxillary Control.

And now two great lines from "The Doomsday Machine"....

McCoy speaking to an ego-wielding Decker....

	"And you're out of line too......Sir!"

Scotty describing the destruct mechanism....

	"Hit this switch, and thirty seconds later..POOF!"

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/07/85)

In article <543@oakhill.UUCP> eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>And now for a fresh set of trivia....
>  1) How many episodes can you name in which Spock hides his ears?

     Return of the Archons
     Piece of the Action
     Bread and Circuses
     Assisgnment Earth
     City on the Edge of Forever
     Patterns of Force

>  2) How many episodes can you name in which someone transports/teleports
>     onto the Enterprise to somewhere other than the transporter room?

      Assuming "someone" to be "somebeing":
      Wink of an Eye
      Arena
      Squire of Gothos
      Lights of Zetar (the lights themselves)
      Spock's Brain
      and perhaps Spectre of the Gun.  The Melkots seems to return our boys
      directly to the bridge.

>  3) How many episodes can you name in which we see the bridge of a
>     starship other than the Enterprise?

      The Tholian Web
      The Doomsday Machine
      Ultimate Computer
      Omega Glory
      Mirror, Mirror (!:-})

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (10/15/85)

>       2) How many episodes can you name in which someone transports/teleports
>          onto the Enterprise to somewhere other than the transporter room?
>
> 		Let that be your last Battlefield
> 		Squire of Gothos
> 		And the children shall lead (will you take someTHING?)
> 		Day of the dove (Kirk beams into Engr.)
*************** Spock's Brain
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That which survives (how about an image?)
--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: ...!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax,hplabs,allegra,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!uscvax!tli
Bitnet: tli@uscvaxq, tli@jaxom, tli@ramoth
Csnet: tli@usc-cse.csnet
Arpa: tli@usc-ecl.arpa

eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) (11/09/85)

Sorry I've taken so long to respond, but I've been rather busy lately.
(My father just passed away.)  Thanks for all the mail.
I am trying to respond, but I may have missed some of you.

I seemed to have opened a can of worms with the question:
Identify the quote, "Or it could be a beaker of death."
I'm STILL getting mail on just this question! (even though
I posted the answer over 2 weeks ago.  I guess the net is slooow....)
More on this later.  Read on.

Here are my answers:

  1) How many episodes can you name in which we see the three dimensional
     chess board?

     1. "Charlie X" when Charlie melts all the pieces.
     2. "Court-Martial" when Spock beats the computer.
     3. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" when Kirk and Spock play.
     4. "By Any Other Name" when Spock and Rojan play.

     We see it in Spock's cabin in some episodes.  How about:
     5. "Amok Time"                                (sb)
     6. "Journey to Babel"                         (sb)
     7. "Paradise Syndrome"                        (sb)

     We see it in the rec room also.  How about:
     8. "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
     9. "The Trouble With Tribbles"                (sb)
     10. "Conscience Of The King"                  (sb)
     11. "Alternative Factor"                      (sb)
     12. "Naked Time"                              (jt)

     Marked answers are ones that I was not aware of.
     (sb= Susan Brown, jt= Jonathan Trudel)

  2) How many episodes can you name in which Uhura beams down?

     1. "Mirror, Mirror" to the Halkan planet.
     2. "City On The Edge Of Forever" to the Guardian planet.
     3. "The Trouble With Tribbles" to station K7.
     4. "This Side Of Paradise" when EVERYONE beamed down.
     5. "Shore Leave" when everyone takes shore leave at the end.
     6. "I, Mudd" when they "visit" Mudd's planet of androids.

     Technically speaking, Uhura was not beamed down in "The Squire Of
     Gothos", "The Gamesters Of Triskelion", or "Plato's Stepchildren".
     She was "zapped away" by the appropriate alien.  Of course if you
     consider the aliens mode of teleporting as "beaming", then I guess
     those episodes are correct.  However, when we say "beam down", I
     interpret this to mean via a known mode of transporting (i.e. the
     transporter on the Enterprise.)

  3) How many episodes can you name in which we see a musical instrument?
     (No you don't get extra credit for naming the episodes in which
     Uhura sings. (gag))

     I did not realize that there were sooo many!  I've simply
     compiled all your answers.  I am unable to add to this list:

     1. "Requiem For Methusalah"       piano
     2. "Charlie X"                    Spock's lyrette
     3. "The Way To Eden"              the lyrette and "guitar"
     4. "The Conscience Of The King"   lyrette
     5. "Wolf In The Fold"             pub instruments
     6. "Menagerie"                    instruments in Orion slave palace
     7. "Plato's Stepchildren"         lyre and harp
     8. "The Squire Of Gothos"         harpsichord
     9. "Amok Time"                    chimes and gong
     10. "Spectre Of The Gun"          piano in saloon
     11. "Who Mourns For Adonais"      harp in background near temple
     12. "The Naked Time"              lyrette
     13. "City On The Edge Of Forever" piano in the mission
     14. "Omega Glory"                 drums
     15. "Paradise Syndrome"           Indian drum and vulcan harp
     16. "A Private Little War"        Tyree's drum
     17. "Whom Gods Destroy"
     18. "Tholian Web"

     And I'm sure there are more.

Bonus Question:
     Since everyone is stuck on favorite quotes, identify the episode
     and speaker of this quote:  "Or it could be a beaker of death."

     One reason I may have gotton so much mail on this question is
     the fact that I've misquoted the speaker slightly.  Here is the
     scene including the quote.  These are EXACT quotes:

Kirk:   This is the vaccine?
McCoy:  That's what the computers will tell us.
Spock:  Without them, it could be a beaker full of death.

     The episode is MIRI.  The speaker is SPOCK.  Several people
     understandably guessed that the quote came from "Wink Of An Eye".
     In WOAE, McCoy tells Kirk that the antidote has not been tested.
     Kirk says, "Lets test it," and drinks it.  I don't recall anyone
     referring to it as a "beaker of death".  Yet I could be wrong as
     I am relying on my memory.

     One reason I chose the "Miri" quote was that the "beaker" they
     are referring to is not a beaker!  I always found it amusing to
     see Spock make such a mistake.  It's an Erlenmeyer flask.

Winner:
     Susan Brown submitted the most number of correct answers (even
     if you subtract the answers I marked.)  [You'll just have to
     try harder Scott.]

And now for some fresh trivia:

  1) How many episodes can you name in which a phaser is used for
     something other than destroying, stunning, or threatening
     someone or something?

  2) How many episodes can you name in which a human has super-
     human powers?   (Human, not alien.)

  3) How many episodes can you name in which we see Kirk without a
     shirt on?   (Not just ripped.)

Bonus Question:
     Name all the locations on the Enterprise where we see food
     or drink produced/created.

I await your response.  Enjoy!
"Oh, how absolutely typical of your species!"

				    Eric Quintana
				    ...!ut-sally!oakhill!eric

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (11/12/85)

>      Technically speaking, Uhura was not beamed down in "The Squire Of
>      Gothos", "The Gamesters Of Triskelion", or "Plato's Stepchildren".
>      She was "zapped away" by the appropriate alien.  Of course if you
>      consider the aliens mode of teleporting as "beaming", then I guess
>      those episodes are correct.  However, when we say "beam down", I
>      interpret this to mean via a known mode of transporting (i.e. the
>      transporter on the Enterprise.)

       I beg to differ with the decision for "Plato's Stepchildren".
       Uhura did in fact beam down to the planet.  She did not,
       however, do it of her free will.  If you remember the episode,
       she and nurse Chapel found themselves forced to walk to the
       transporter room and were beamed down.  They were transported by
       the Enterprise's transporters, but not by anyone on the Enterprise.

	Stephen Abbott
	(From the account of Paul Meyerhofer, whose opinion this may
	 or may not be)

gmp@rayssd.UUCP (Gregory M. Paris) (11/12/85)

>      Technically speaking, Uhura was not beamed down in "The Squire Of
>      Gothos", "The Gamesters Of Triskelion", or "Plato's Stepchildren".
>      She was "zapped away" by the appropriate alien.  Of course if you
>      consider the aliens mode of teleporting as "beaming", then I guess
>      those episodes are correct.  However, when we say "beam down", I
>      interpret this to mean via a known mode of transporting (i.e. the
>      transporter on the Enterprise.)

I must differ with your assertions about "Plato's Stepchildren."
Logically we must assume that Uhura and Nurse Chapel were forced
to beam down rather than being wisked through space by Parmen's
telekenetic powers.
--

++---------------------------------------------------------------------------++
||  Greg Paris             {allegra,linus,raybed2,ccice5,brunix}!rayssd!gmp  ||

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (11/13/85)

> >      Technically speaking, Uhura was not beamed down in "The Squire Of
> >      Gothos", "The Gamesters Of Triskelion", or "Plato's Stepchildren".
>
> I must differ with your assertions about "Plato's Stepchildren."
> Logically we must assume that Uhura and Nurse Chapel were forced
> to beam down rather than being wisked through space by Parmen's
> telekenetic [sic] powers.
> --
> Greg Paris

We need not even assume it.  They said they were forced into the transporter.
--
"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"

cc-18@ucbcory.BERKELEY.EDU (Johnny Lee(Supervisor 349)) (11/13/85)

In article <582@oakhill.UUCP> eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:

>  2) How many episodes can you name in which Uhura beams down?

>     Technically speaking, Uhura was not beamed down in "The Squire Of
>     Gothos", "The Gamesters Of Triskelion", or "Plato's Stepchildren".
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     She was "zapped away" by the appropriate alien.  Of course if you
>     consider the aliens mode of teleporting as "beaming", then I guess
>     those episodes are correct.  However, when we say "beam down", I
>     interpret this to mean via a known mode of transporting (i.e. the
>     transporter on the Enterprise.)

I must disagree.  Uhura *did* beam down using the Enterprise's transporter
in "Plato's Stepchildren" although it wasn't of her own volition.  Take a
look at the special effects when they beam down.  Carmen (sp?) used his
telekinetic powers to move her and Nurse Chapel to the transporter room
and beam them down.

					Johnny Lee
"I am not programmed to respond in that area."

{universe at large}!ucbvax!ucbcory!cc-18

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (11/20/85)

I have again been repeatedly unable to send Eric mail, so here are my
answers to his last batch of trivia.  They are being posted so late that
I doubt if they will spoil anyone's fun.

1. How many episodes can you name in which a phaser is used for something
other than destroying, stunning, or threatening someone or something?

Six.  It heats rocks in Spock's Brain, A Private Little War, and The
Enemy Within; breaks off a piece of rock in Obsession; serves as a power
source for the shuttle in Galileo 7; and "zap, hot coffee" in The
Corbomite Maneuver.  At other times I decided it was "destroying...
something", e.g. the entrance to the cave in The Cloud Minders.

2. How many episodes can you name in which a human has superhuman powers?
(Human, not alien.)

Yeah, but by superhuman powers do you mean *inhuman* or impossibly good
at human-type things?  Does how they got these powers matter?  Does outright
possession by an alien count?  Here is a list of possible answers, depending
on the ruling of the judge on these questions.
Where No Man (Gary and Elizabeth); Charlie X (Charlie); Plato's Stepchildren
(Kirk); Assignment Earth (Gary); Wink of an Eye (Kirk and Spock); Mudd's
Women (the women); Space Seed (Kahn); Requiem for Methuselah (Flint);
Spock's Brain (McCoy); Menagerie (Pike and Vina); Metamorphosis (Cochrane -
if he is human.  I'm not clear on the status of natives of Alpha Centauri);
Day of the Dove (people who healed fast); Lights of Zetar (Mira); Return to
Tomorrow (Kirk et al.); The Children Shall Lead (the children).

3. How many episodes can you name in which we see Kirk without a shirt on?
(Not just ripped.)

Twelve.  Deadly Years, Journey to Babel, Private Little War, What Are Little
Girls Made Of, Patterns of Force, Enemy Within, Charlie X, Corbomite
Maneuver, Gamesters of Triskelion, The Empath, Paradise Syndrome, and
Turnabout Intruder (his body anyway).

Bonus Question: Name all the locations on the Enterprise where we see food
or drink produced/created.

Another toughie.  I assume references to ship blueprints are not allowed.
Names for these rooms are rarely used in the scripts.  However --
the transporter room (Tomorrow is Yesterday); the recreation room a la the
third season (very large with plants) like in And the Children Shall Lead;
and the officer's lounge, or small recreation room, as in By Any Other
Name, or Tribbles. Elsewhere food seems to be carried into the room.

Thanks. I enjoyed.
Susan

mcdaniel@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/24/85)

/* Written  5:08 pm  Nov 19, 1985 by brown@utflis.UUCP in uiucdcsb:net.startrek */
. . .
1. How many episodes can you name in which a phaser is used for something
other than destroying, stunning, or threatening someone or something?

Six.  It heats rocks in Spock's Brain . . .
/* End of text from uiucdcsb:net.startrek */

Your hostility and personal epithets are highly illogical.  It is far more
probable that the rocks are in McCoy's head, rather than Spock's.

Oh, you meant the *episode* *entitled* "Spock's Brain" . . .

davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) (11/27/85)

In article <580@utflis.UUCP> brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) writes:
>1. How many episodes can you name in which a phaser is used for something
>other than destroying, stunning, or threatening someone or something?
>
>Six.  It heats rocks in Spock's Brain, A Private Little War, [etc.]

David D. Levine     (...decvax!tektronix!teklds!davidl)  [UUCP]
                    (teklds!davidl.tektronix@Udel-Relay) [ARPA] (experimental)

(Sorry, couldn't help but point that out...)