[net.startrek] Shields & Transporter Q

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/19/85)

Recently I watched the Armageddon episode.  In it, Scotty refused
to bring down the shields as the hoodwinked ambassador had demanded.
This was justisfied since the bad guys were ready to make noise
all over the ship if Scotty did.  Later, though, the ambassador
and his sidekick beam down to the planet.  My question: I thought
the shields had to be down in order to beam someone down.  Thus
it seems that either Scotty backed off for a moment and got lucky
(pretty dangerous), or that I am misinformed, or that this is
another example of something we aren't supposed to worry about.
After all, it is only a tv show.

Any comments?

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (11/22/85)

> Recently I watched the Armageddon episode.  In it, Scotty refused
> to bring down the shields as the hoodwinked ambassador had demanded.
> This was justisfied since the bad guys were ready to make noise
> all over the ship if Scotty did.  Later, though, the ambassador
> and his sidekick beam down to the planet.  My question: I thought
> the shields had to be down in order to beam someone down.  Thus
> it seems that either Scotty backed off for a moment and got lucky
> (pretty dangerous), or that I am misinformed, or that this is
> another example of something we aren't supposed to worry about.
> After all, it is only a tv show.
>
> Any comments?

In the game Star Fleet Battles, the shields do have to be down to
use the transporter.  However, it doesn't take very long to drop
a shield, transport, then raise the shield again.

In Dagger of the Mind, the Enterprise must wait for the penal colony to
lower its shields before they can transport anything.  Of course, they
could be different kinds of shields.
--

	--Kevin Chu
	..!{ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

cc-18@ucbcory.BERKELEY.EDU (Johnny Lee(Supervisor 349)) (11/25/85)

In article <16400003@uiucdcsp> ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Recently I watched the Armageddon episode.  In it, Scotty refused
>to bring down the shields as the hoodwinked ambassador had demanded.
>and his sidekick beam down to the planet.  My question: I thought
>the shields had to be down in order to beam someone down.  Thus
>it seems that either Scotty backed off for a moment and got lucky
>(pretty dangerous), or that I am misinformed, or that this is
>another example of something we aren't supposed to worry about.
>Any comments?

	Yes.  Scotty refers to the "screens" and not shields.
Although this is most likely another kludge, I believe that people
cannot be transported while the shields are up, but screens are
another matter.  Remember, Ameniar (sp?) was using sonic disrupters
and not phasers as in the other episodes where this
little transporter problem popped up.
	In any case, we shouldn't worry about it.

"Hello, Daddy!" (Blooper)
					Johnny Lee
		    {Universe at large}!ucbvax!ucbcory!cc-18

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/29/85)

> 	Yes.  Scotty refers to the "screens" and not shields.
> Although this is most likely another kludge, I believe that people
> cannot be transported while the shields are up, but screens are
> another matter.  Remember, Ameniar (sp?) was using sonic disrupters
> and not phasers as in the other episodes where this
> little transporter problem popped up.

According to my Star Fleet Technical Manual, ``screens'' are navigational
meteorite shields, of relatively low power (enough to keep the big E from
being destroyed by friction against interstellar dust while traveling at
sublight speeds).  Shields are a different matter entirely, as we all
know.

--Brandon
--

			Lord Charteris (thurb)

ncoast!allbery@Case.CSNet (ncoast!allbery%Case.CSNet@CSNet-Relay.ARPA)
..decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!allbery (..ncoast!tdi2!root for business)
6615 Center St., Mentor, OH 44060 (I moved) --Phone: +01 216 974 9210
CIS 74106,1032 -- MCI MAIL BALLBERY (WARNING: I am only a part-time denizen...)
Until they figure out how to map CSNet-Relay.ARPA into the new Internet, UUCP.