[net.startrek] Shirts and Insignia

gcc@ssc-vax.UUCP (Greg C Croasdill) (11/21/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR  MASSAGE ***

 I'm relativly new to this (or any) net and I'm not sure if this has
 been brought up before, but, it should be interesting anyway.

 Has anyone else noticed the shirt insignias used by starfleet?
 In STTTVE (Star Trek the TV Epic) we see that starfleet has a
 different shirt insignia or each assignment:

		On the big E it was the stylized A within a circle

		 On base Comodore Mendez (see The Menagerie (sp))
		  was wearing a pattern of triangels.

		Dekker (in the Flying Carrot that almost ate the
		  Enterprise) is wearing yet another symbol.

 In other shows you can see that each ship in the fleet, each
 starbase, etc has their own symbol.

 Now in STTMP (Star Trek the Motionless Picure) we see people in
 SFleet on Earth ALL wearing the insignia from STTTVE's Enterprise.
 In fact on the USS Whatsit that Chekov is assigned to at the
 begining of TWOK (The Wrap of Khan) they are wearing the
 Enterprise's symbol too. And at least one more time, the personel
 on the Dudnaught in TSFS (Spock Strikes Back) they also bear the
 all too familiar symbol.

 Is this an error in the universe or the big E do something so
 awesome that SFleet has honored it by changing all of the insignia
 to that of the Enterprise???

 I don't know, I leave it to you, the viewer to decide.

			In sevice to the CommonWealth (or something
			like that)  Greg
				    (aka Aweiodian, KSCA)

"Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been!!"

(Like My view here has nothin to do with Boeing, I don't think they
even watch ST.)

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (11/26/85)

>  Has anyone else noticed the shirt insignias used by starfleet?
>  In STTTVE (Star Trek the TV Epic) we see that starfleet has a
>  different shirt insignia or each assignment:
>
> 		On the big E it was the stylized A within a circle
>
> 		 On base Comodore Mendez (see The Menagerie (sp))
> 		  was wearing a pattern of triangels.
>
> 		Dekker (in the Flying Carrot that almost ate the
> 		  Enterprise) is wearing yet another symbol.
>
>  In other shows you can see that each ship in the fleet, each
>  starbase, etc has their own symbol.

The command insignia on the Enterprise in the TV series (and later the insignia
throughout Starfleet) was a stylized STAR, not the letter A.  While there were
some feeble attempts to show different Starfleet personnel with different
insignia in the TV series, this idea was dropped when they began making the
motion pictures.  Notice there were even bigger changes in uniforms (ranks and
branches of service) since then.  Kirk was probably on the committee which
chose the star insignia for all of Starfleet.
--
"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"

ccastkv@gitpyr.UUCP (KEITH VAGLIENTI) (11/27/85)

I imagine the different insignia are to represent different assignments. I
would assume the circle with stylized a is for something like galaxy
exploration while the triangles worn by Commodore Mendez would be something
like starbase.

                    The earth is shaped like a burrito...
--
Keith Conrad Vaglienti
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ccastkv

In no way should my remarks be considered to reflect the opinions and/or
policies of the Georgia Institute of Technology nor GIT's Office of
Computing Services. Put another way, its-a not my bosses fault, monkey boy!

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (11/28/85)

I realize this is a bit of a Rorshak test problem, but I
believe the Enterprise uniform symbol is a stylized
arrowhead, not a star as Roger Noe claims.  However,
the symbol the yellow shirts wore did have a five-pointed
star inside the arrowhead.  Red shirts seemed to have a
crooked lightning bolt and, for some reason that will
never make sense to me, science people wore the logo of
the Columbia Broadcasting System  :-)

RJS in Toronto
c/o

--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (11/29/85)

>>  Has anyone else noticed the shirt insignias used by starfleet?
>>  In STTTVE (Star Trek the TV Epic) we see that starfleet has a
>>  different shirt insignia or each assignment:
>>
>> 		On the big E it was the stylized A within a circle
>>
>> 		 On base Comodore Mendez (see The Menagerie (sp))
>> 		  was wearing a pattern of triangels.
>>
>> 		Dekker (in the Flying Carrot that almost ate the
>> 		  Enterprise) is wearing yet another symbol.
>>
>>  In other shows you can see that each ship in the fleet, each
>>  starbase, etc has their own symbol.
>
>The command insignia on the Enterprise in the TV series (and later the insignia
>throughout Starfleet) was a stylized STAR, not the letter A.  While there were
>some feeble attempts to show different Starfleet personnel with different
>insignia in the TV series, this idea was dropped when they began making the
>motion pictures.  Notice there were even bigger changes in uniforms (ranks and
>branches of service) since then.  Kirk was probably on the committee which
>chose the star insignia for all of Starfleet.
>--
>"It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain what
 >fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess!"
	>Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

	Say fellow Trekies...

    I have a whole book on all the insignia, ship sizes and classifications,
    etcetera...  If anyone is interested, I will post what all the insignia's
    mean.  Side note: I believe There are several different shirt types
    to be worn, depending on the military occasion; but this would be
    hard to illustrate over the net.  Well, perhaps tommorrow I will
    summerize these shoulder and chest patchs anyhow; Maybe someone
    is interested.....:-)

				Martin the Magian.

				Klick, Klick, Klick, "Enterprise ?"
				BZZZZZZZZZZT.

dunn@kvue.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (11/29/85)

I'm also relativly new to this net.  However, I've been "into"
STAR TREK for many years; and most recently the STAR TREK ROLE
PLAYING GAME.  Besides being a satanic( <:^)  ) role playing
game made by the FASA corporation, it(the game) also explains
many of the changes in the STAR TREK universe.  These explainations
are supposedly of good reliability due to the fact that the
game designers consulted the "movers and the shakers" of STAR TREK.

Therefore, the reason that we see STARFLEET personnel in many
of the movies wearing the ENTERPRISE symbol, an A with a circle
around it, is because when the ENTERPRISE, the only remaining ship              of the CONSTITUTION class ships, came back to EARTH for refitting the
"powers that be" in the STARFLEET HIGH COUNCIL decided to do away
with the individual ship insignias and use just the ENTERPRISE
insignia as a general logo for representing the entire fleet.

Moreover, (sorry about all the transition words) the rank of the
individual is now recognized by the small "medal-type looking thing"
that is on the left chest area, pinned to a strip of colored cloth.

By the way, that colored cloth is how the individual is destinguished
in what brank of the ship that he/she works in.  Much the same way that
the old color of the uniform distinguished the command personnel from
the medical from the engineer people.

If for some bizzare reason anyone wants to know more about the
insignia and uniform changes you can do one of several things:
       		1) GO to your local gaming shop and buy the
		   STAR TREK ROLE PLAYING GAME reference update
		   unreasonably priced at $12.00.

		2) ACCOST any gamer that you may know and ask him/her
		   for their copy of the reference manual.

		3) PUT your questions up on the net and more than
		   likely a friendly informed source will answer.

That's all for now I have to go get a fix of TRAVELLER, yet another
sci-fi game.

			From the tower of Geddy on the isle of
			Lifeson in the sea of Peart.

				Ray Dunn

"Everything works on a STARSHIP of a reason."

                    Ray Dunn, KVUE-TV  Austin, TX   (dunn@kvue.uucp)
      {asci1,ihnp4,seismo,gatech,harvard,ctvax,ucbvax}!ut-sally!kvue!dunn

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (11/30/85)

In article <111@molihp.UUCP> martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) writes:
>>> 		Dekker (in the Flying Carrot that almost ate the
>>> 		  Enterprise) is wearing yet another symbol.

Gee.  I always thought it looked more like a Flying Asparagus...;-)

kamath@reed.UUCP

Sean Kamath

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (12/02/85)

> I believe the Enterprise uniform symbol is a stylized
> arrowhead, not a star . . . .  However,
> the symbol the yellow shirts wore did have a five-pointed
> star inside the arrowhead.
> RJS in Toronto

The star I was referring to is the cutout shape inside the "arrowhead" solid
shape.  It was this insignia (not just the "arrowhead") which was adopted for
all Starfleet uniforms in the motion pictures.  The Sciences and Engineering
insignia were dropped entirely.
--

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (12/03/85)

In article <1699@utcsri.UUCP> tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) writes:
>[...]Red shirts seemed to have a
>crooked lightning bolt and, for some reason that will
>never make sense to me, science people wore the logo of
>the Columbia Broadcasting System  :-)

Hmmm.... wasn't "Mission: Impossible", the show that was filmed right next
to Star Trek (and which Nimoy moved to after Trek's demise), shown on CBS?

Perhaps Mr. Phelps had a bit longer intelligence arm than we thought...

        "I am the Shadow Man, and *I*
         will never harm the person
         under whose bed *I* live."
                                        "Glad to hear it, my man... Hey,
                                         don't stay out too late, and
                                         when you get back, make sure
                                         you shut the window."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty