[net.startrek] This Side of Paradise

swc@cbsck.UUCP (Scott W. Collins) (12/06/85)

~
Re: TSOP

A question:

	When Kirk got over the spores by getting angry,
he reasoned that he had to get Spock up to the ship and
slap him around (knowing that it was a dangerous thing
to do) so to get him to return to normal(?) so that
the crew and planet dwellers might be saved.  Why not get
McCoy up first, slap him around (less dangerous) and get
Bones to make up some kind of hypo to knock Spock out until
they could strap him down, wake him up, and then call him
names?

	Or why didn't Kirk just stun Spock with a phasor,
tie him down, etc?

	I know, I know.  It was neater to see Spock try
to brain Kirk with a chair...

	Any thoughts further?

Scott

"Working, dear..."

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (12/07/85)

> 	When Kirk got over the spores by getting angry,
> he reasoned that he had to get Spock up to the ship and
> slap him around (knowing that it was a dangerous thing
> to do) so to get him to return to normal(?) so that
> the crew and planet dwellers might be saved.  Why not get
> McCoy up first, slap him around (less dangerous) and get
> Bones to make up some kind of hypo to knock Spock out until
> they could strap him down, wake him up, and then call him
> names?

The reason Kirk was able to snap out of it was his sense of duty.
He probably reasoned that Spock's strength of will would allow
him to do the same.  This might not be the case so much for Dr.
McCoy.
						--rick

davis@ichaya.UUCP (Andrew J. Davis) (12/09/85)

>> 	When Kirk got over the spores by getting angry,
>> he reasoned that he had to get Spock up to the ship and
>> slap him around (knowing that it was a dangerous thing
>> to do) so to get him to return to normal(?) so that
>> the crew and planet dwellers might be saved.  Why not get
>> McCoy up first, slap him around (less dangerous) and get
>> Bones to make up some kind of hypo to knock Spock out until
>> they could strap him down, wake him up, and then call him
>> names?

> The reason Kirk was able to snap out of it was his sense of duty.
> He probably reasoned that Spock's strength of will would allow
> him to do the same.  This might not be the case so much for Dr.
> McCoy.

While this may may be true, Dr. McCoy's strength of character is expressed
quite well in his confrontation with Sandoval (sp?) after Sandoval suggests
that McCoy's services as a doctor would be unnecessary.  To which McCoy
responds, "Oh yeah, would you like to see how fast I can put you in a
hospital" etc. etc.

					Andrew

*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Digital Equipment Corporation
Internal Software Services
67 Forest Street IND Box 1016
Marlboro, Mass. 01752-9116

UUCP:  decvax!ichaya!davis
ENET:  ICHAYA::DAVIS

"Gentlemen, surely you're not going to take the word of a souless mechanical
device over that of a real flesh and blood man."  -- H. Mudd
*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*

scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) (12/10/85)

Actually, Kirk should have beamed up BOTH McCoy AND Spock.
Then let them argue with each other about "blasted Vulcan
logic" and "Human emotionalism".  Would have at least
snapped McCoy out of it...

			Scott Berry

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (12/10/85)

In article <117@ichaya.UUCP> davis@ichaya.UUCP (Andrew J. Davis) writes:
>>> Kirk ... reasoned that he had to get Spock up to the ship and
>>> slap him around ... Why not get McCoy up first, slap him around
>>> (less dangerous)
>>
>> ...Spock's strength of will would allow him to [shake the spores]
>> This might not be the case so much for Dr. McCoy...
>
> ... Dr. McCoy's strength of character is expressed ... after Sandoval
> suggests that McCoy's services ... would be unnecessary.  To which McCoy
>responds, "Oh yeah, would you like to see how fast I can put you in a
>hospital" etc. etc.

But remember that he was under the influence of the sonic irritation
at the time, so the previous point is still valid.
The real reason Kirk called Spock up was not because Spock was the
logical person, it done for 'dramatic expediency'.

Another example of why Star Trek isn't real life, (it's TV.):
Jimmy Doohan wasn't wearing the proper kilt for his clan in STII:TWOK,
but it wasn't because his regular 'Scott' clan kilt was at the Enterprise
Laundry.  Turns out he (Doohan) had one of his own but there was some
problem with Paramount over insuring it or something like that, so
he used the one Costumes gave him....

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (12/13/85)

In article <1651@cbsck.UUCP> swc@cbsck.UUCP (Scott W. Collins) writes:
>	When Kirk got over the spores by getting angry,
>he reasoned that he had to get Spock up to the ship and
>slap him around (knowing that it was a dangerous thing
>to do) so to get him to return to normal(?) so that
>the crew and planet dwellers might be saved.  Why not get
>McCoy up first, slap him around (less dangerous) and get
>Bones to make up some kind of hypo to knock Spock out until
>they could strap him down, wake him up, and then call him
>names?
>
>	Or why didn't Kirk just stun Spock with a phasor,
>tie him down, etc?

This would be out of character for Kirk.  Can you honestly see Kirk
hitting McCoy, who is weaker than he is?  And taunting someone who's
tied down so he can't get at him?  Especially Spock?  This is just not
Kirk's style.  It would never even occur to him to do it that way.

After all, one has one's code.
--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						De Tuss from de Tonn