[net.startrek] Undershirts

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (11/06/85)

And have you noticed that when Kirk's shirt gets ripped (as it is
wont to do), you don't see any trace of the aforementioned undershirt?
I don't recall ever seeing one of the cast in JUST an undershirt.

			SJBerry

davis@ichaya.UUCP (Andrew J. Davis) (11/07/85)

> And have you noticed that when Kirk's shirt gets ripped (as it is
> wont to do), you don't see any trace of the aforementioned undershirt?
> I don't recall ever seeing one of the cast in JUST an undershirt.

			SJBerry

Scott,

  You are quite right; When Kirk's tunic often gets ripped, there is
no sign of his undershirt.  However, if you recall the episode, "Naked Time",
when Spock and Tormolen (sp?) are in sick bay being examined, both of them
are wearing black undershirts.

					Andrew J. Davis

*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Digital Equipment Corporation
67 Forest Street
Marlboro, Mass. 01752

UUCP:  decvax!ichaya!davis
ENET:  ICHAYA::DAVIS

"Gentlemen, surely you're not going to take the word of a souless mechanical
device over that of a real flesh and blood man."  -- H. Mudd
*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (11/07/85)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

> And have you noticed that when Kirk's shirt gets ripped (as it is
> wont to do), you don't see any trace of the aforementioned undershirt?
> I don't recall ever seeing one of the cast in JUST an undershirt.

In "The Deadly Years," we learn that Kirk definitely doesn't wear an
undershirt.  He's in his quarters and calls the bridge to inquire about
the comet for the second time.  In "The Corbomite Maneuver," we learn
that he also doesn't shower after heavy exercise before putting on his
shirt (that sick bay scene has always bothered me).

However, in "The Naked Time," we learn that Spock definitely does where
an undershirt and it's black.  Again, the scene is sickbay after he and
Joe beam up from the frozen planet.  I believe this shirt is also visible
during the surgery scene in "Journey to Babel."
--

					-- Mark A.
					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (11/08/85)

In article <695@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) writes:
>And have you noticed that when Kirk's shirt gets ripped (as it is
>wont to do), you don't see any trace of the aforementioned undershirt?
>I don't recall ever seeing one of the cast in JUST an undershirt.
>			SJBerry

 No, but in Naked Time Spock and Tormolen get their medical exam after returning
 from the planet in just their black turtlenecks (and pants of course), which
 could be a kind of thermal long underwear.
 sb

ayers@convexs.UUCP (11/08/85)

>Is anybody else bothered by the fact that there is a clearly visible
>outline of an undershirt under Kirk's, Spock's, and McCoy's shirts,
>particularly visible from the back?  This drives me crazy!  It really
>kills realism...And no, I don't believe
>for a minute that men in the twenty-third century will be wearing this
>very same style of underwear -- and particularly I don't believe that
>starship personnel would be wearing it.

You forget that we're talking "military", here.  It doesn't change that fast...

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)(I hope):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

blues, II

<Yes, Virginia, undershirts are required military apparel>

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (11/15/85)

I just saw MIRI (the beaker/flask episode :-)) and I noticed that McCoys shirt
is ripped, and he clearly has a black undershirt on.  You might not notice
because its ripped near the neck and matches the ribbing for the neck.
While I'm at it, concerning WNMHGB inconcistancies, why does Kirk shout
"Gravitation to automatic" just when they're crossing the boundery?  What was
it on before, manual?

Joanna

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (11/15/85)

> While I'm at it, concerning WNMHGB inconcistancies, why does Kirk
> shout "Gravitation to automatic" just when they're crossing the
> boundery?  What was it on before, manual?
> Joanna
	"Gravitation to automatic" compensation for local
fluctuations the sensors indicate are present in the boundery, of
course!  Just too long to say it all in an emergency.
-----
	  'Just carrying coals to Newcastle.

...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (11/25/85)

> *** YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
> > And have you noticed that when Kirk's shirt gets ripped (as it is
> > wont to do), you don't see any trace of the aforementioned undershirt?
> > I don't recall ever seeing one of the cast in JUST an undershirt.
>
> In "The Deadly Years," we learn that Kirk definitely doesn't wear an
> undershirt.  He's in his quarters and calls the bridge to inquire about
> the comet for the second time.  In "The Corbomite Maneuver," we learn
> that he also doesn't shower after heavy exercise before putting on his
> shirt (that sick bay scene has always bothered me).
>
> However, in "The Naked Time," we learn that Spock definitely does where
> an undershirt and it's black.  Again, the scene is sickbay after he and
> Joe beam up from the frozen planet.  I believe this shirt is also visible
> during the surgery scene in "Journey to Babel."

I was under the impression tha it is *always* visible.  I thought that the
black "collar" on the uniform was just the shirt underneath.  Watch "The
Naked Time" again and watch when Spock puts his shirt back on.  Anybody
with a VCR out there that can prove/disprove this?
--
     Adrian Zannin
..{allegra,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

pugsly@isrnix.UUCP (David A. Roth) (11/27/85)

I saw the naked time just the other day here local.
I noticed that too about the black undershirts and after he put the other
shirt over it you could still see
the black collar.
The strange reason I happen to remember this is that there use to be some
guy on TV at Florida State Univ.
and had a trekathon. Where they would play StarTrek one after another
until something like the next morning.
The guy that host the show tried to dress to look like he was on the crew
of the enterprise but something was
not quite right. He was missing the black undershirt's collar.
To be honest. I never thought that were *really* wearing an undershirt and it was just there to *look* like they
were waering an undershirt.
I had a feeling that under the lights of the filming it would be hot enough.

David A. Roth
...decvax!pur-ee!isrnix!pugsly
...ihnp4!isrnix!pugsly
Indianapolis,IN

knutsonk@stolaf.UUCP (Kari E. Knutson) (12/04/85)

Everyone wears undershirts except Captain Kirk.
This is so that when he get his shirt ripped we can
see his gorgeous torso. (Except when it's not gorgeous.
Did you see Plato's Stepchildren 12/3? YUCK!!)
The shirts have black collars, too. Kirk's shirt does,
and it's not the undershirt. OKAY?

Kari Knutson
...ihnp4!stolaf!knutsonk

--

Kari Knutson
...ihnp4!stolaf!knutsonk

wiebe@ut-ngp.UUCP (Anne Hill Wiebe) (12/14/85)

Actually, my original question/complaint concerned my irritation about
the actors wearing their own, non-STuniform undershirts under their ST
costumes in such manner that the edges of the undershirt were visible
 -- thus spoiling the illusion of 23rd century starship in favor of
20th century actors.  That point was diverted into a discussion of just
what undershirts the characters wore as part of their uniforms.  It was
obvious, though, that the black, long-sleeved undershirt worn by Spock
in Amok Time was not the same undershirt that annoyed me every time I
saw its outline on the back of Kirk, or McCoy, or Spock.
All I ever wanted was someone to say, yes, I saw that too, it annoyed
me too, they ought to have been more careful to conceal or not wear
their undershirts; yes, it spoiled the illusion.  I just saw
undershirt-as-anachronism. At least this deep-armhole style, what they
call a U-shirt, I think, seems ludicrously out of place in the ST
universe.
Oh, well, I guess it _didn't_ bother anyone else.

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (12/17/85)

               .
               .
               .
              etc.
> All I ever wanted was someone to say, yes, I saw that too, it annoyed
> me too, they ought to have been more careful to conceal or not wear
> their undershirts; yes, it spoiled the illusion....etc

[]
O.K...yes, I saw that too, it annoyed me too, they ought to have been more
careful to conceal or not wear their undershirts; yes, it spoiled the illusion.

How's that?  Feel better now?  :-)

--
     Adrian Zannin
     SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science