[net.startrek] Moonlighting

urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) (12/29/85)

In article <959@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:

>> > Maddie's "fuzzy face" is due to a common cinematic process known as
>> > "soft focus".  It is intended to make women look more beautiful, by
>> > giving their faces a glow, almost producing a halo effect.
>
>The "cinematic process" you refer to is more commonly known as
>"shooting through gauze" yes, gauze.  get some out of the first aid
>kit, cover you camera lens sith it and yes friends, you too can
>produce this wonderful "cinematic effect"

The gauze effect was used HEAVILY throughout the run of Star Trek
for all of the "love-interest" female characters.  It was also
used in the Split-Kirk ("Enemy Within"?) episode for the
meeker Kirk while harsher lighting was used for the "animal" Kirk.
Film's got a language all its own.

--

   Mike Urban
        {ucbvax|decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

gjb@unirot.UUCP (Greg Brail) (01/03/86)

In article <836@spp2.UUCP> urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) writes:
>In article <959@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
>>The "cinematic process" you refer to is more commonly known as
>>"shooting through gauze" yes, gauze.  get some out of the first aid
>>kit, cover you camera lens sith it and yes friends, you too can
>>produce this wonderful "cinematic effect"
>
>The gauze effect was used HEAVILY throughout the run of Star Trek
>for all of the "love-interest" female characters.  It was also
>used in the Split-Kirk ("Enemy Within"?) episode for the
>meeker Kirk while harsher lighting was used for the "animal" Kirk.

	This is almost an understatement. I "love-interest" female character is any female guest character who Kirk looks at. This must happen at least once per episode. It must be in William Shatner's contract. Next time you see Trek, you'll see what I mean.
	Also, gauze is not the only thing than can be used for soft focus. Most photography books list Vaseline and panty hose (yes, panty hose!) as possibilities.
				-Greg
P.S Sorry, but our EMACS doesn't seem to justify yet.
--

Greg Brail  	(Greg @ The Soup Kitchen)
UUCP : ..{ihnp4,seismo,harvard,ut-sally,allegra}!caip!unirot!gjb
ARPA : unirot!gjb@caip.rutgers.edu
USNAIL : Don't bother.