[net.startrek] The Wrath of Sherlock Holmes

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (12/13/85)

In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."  I laughed aloud in
the theater and got some strange looks.
--
-- Kevin Chu
-- !{ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (12/14/85)

In article <468@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) writes:
    In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
    proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."  I laughed aloud in
    the theater and got some strange looks.

Well, don't feel bad.  You weren't alone.  I got some REALLY strange looks.
But part of that is because no one in the Glendale Galleria would ever think
of going to see Star Trek.

--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: ...!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax,hplabs,allegra,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!uscvax!tli

cc-18@cory.BERKELEY.EDU (John Lee) (12/18/85)

In article <468@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) writes:
>In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
>proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."  I laughed aloud in
>the theater and got some strange looks.
>--
>-- Kevin Chu
>-- !{ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020
>-- ucdavis!vega!ccs020@ucb-vax.arpa

Maybe Steven Spielberg is a closet trekkie! :-)

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/18/85)

>In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
>proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."  I laughed aloud in
>the theater and got some strange looks.

Isn't this originally an Italian saying?  I seem to remember hearing it much
earlier than ST II... (maybe I'm thinking of pasta, not revenge :-) ).

                        "Tourists -- have some fun with New york's
                         hard-boiled cabbies.  When you get to your
                         destination, say to your driver, "Pay?  I was
                         hitchiking."
                                                -- David Letterman

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

dma@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dennis Anderson) (12/20/85)

> >In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
> >proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."  I laughed aloud in
> >the theater and got some strange looks.
>
> Isn't this originally an Italian saying?  I seem to remember hearing it much
> earlier than ST II... (maybe I'm thinking of pasta, not revenge :-) ).
>
>                         "Tourists -- have some fun with New york's
>                          hard-boiled cabbies.  When you get to your
>                          destination, say to your driver, "Pay?  I was
>                          hitchiking."
>                                                 -- David Letterman
>
>                                         Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
> ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
> UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
> <*> DISCLAIMER: Do what you want with me, but leave my employers alone! <*>

I don't know about it being Italian, but the saying did appear in
The Godfather.  At least in the book.  I don't remember it in the movie.

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (12/20/85)

In article <11257@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> cc-18@cory.UUCP (John Lee) writes:
>Maybe Steven Spielberg is a closet trekkie! :-)

For sure.  In Close Encounters, Roy has a Klingon ship model in his
hobby room.
sb
(I'll be embarrassed if Spielberg wasn't the director of Close Encounter!)

ugthomas@sunybcs.UUCP (Timothy Thomas) (12/22/85)

> In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
> proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."

Actually, to get picky, the Klingon proverb was "Revenge is a dish
best served cold"

--

____________   ____/--\____
\______  ___) (   _    ____)     "Damn it Jim!,

aep@abic.UUCP (Alex Pensky) (12/23/85)

***
> >In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
> >proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."
>
> Maybe Steven Spielberg is a closet trekkie! :-)

The line from the movie would seem quite humorous if one assumed Holmes
was quoting a Klingon.  But Holmes actually said it a long time ago and
the Klingon was quoting Holmes, not the other way around.  The quote is
"Revenge is a dish best served cold," and for all I know it did not even
originate with Conan Doyle but might be an old proverb or a quote from an
earlier author.  (If anyone knows the exact origin of the quote, please
post.)

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (12/24/85)

>The line from the movie would seem quite humorous if one assumed Holmes
>was quoting a Klingon.  But Holmes actually said it a long time ago and
>the Klingon was quoting Holmes, not the other way around.  The quote is
>"Revenge is a dish best served cold," and for all I know it did not even
>originate with Conan Doyle but might be an old proverb or a quote from an
>earlier author.  (If anyone knows the exact origin of the quote, please
>post.)

Thought I knew my Sherlock pretty well ... In what story did Sir Arthur
actually pen this phrase ??

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (01/06/86)

> >In _Young Sherlock Holmes_, Holmes brings up that infamous Klingon
> >proverb, "Revenge is best served cold, Watson."  I laughed aloud in
> >the theater and got some strange looks.
>
> Isn't this originally an Italian saying?  I seem to remember hearing it much
> earlier than ST II... (maybe I'm thinking of pasta, not revenge :-) ).
>
>                                         Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer

Since I posted the original posting, I have received about thirty letters
telling me that it was a Greek/Roman/Chinese/Japanese/German/Egyptian/
or whatever saying.  Now it's an Italian saying.  The truth of the matter
is that I don't know where the quote came from, I don't really care. :-)

For those of you who haven't been reading net.startrek long enough, here's
the scoop.  In ST II, Khan says "Revenge is a dish best served cold" and
he identifies it as a Klingon quote.  The discussion was about how Khan
had ever heard a Klingon quote.  Please DO NOT start discussing this again.
I am only posting this because I accidentally deleted the form letter that
I wrote to reply to all of the letters.