[net.startrek] Klingon Dictionary

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (12/17/85)

> Also, has anyone seen/read Mark Okrand's recently-released "Klingon
> Dictionary"?  It's a novel-length book going into phenomenal detail
> about the syntax, structure, pronunciation rules, and grammar of
> "Klingonese" he prepared for Treks 2 and 3.   Its a truly amazing
> thing to peruse, even for non-Trek fans, because its essentially
> a bare-bones definition of a completely new language, with a new
> set of rules and structure....
>
> David Whitney

I don't want to be picky, but I don't want people to be put off from reading
Okrand's dictionary.  It's not nearly novel-length and it is fascinating.
Apart from the bits and pieces of the language, there are several phrase
translations in there that are quite interesting.  Virtually all of the
Klingon phrases used in ST:TMP and ST:TSFS (that is, 1 and 3; no Klingons
appeared in The Wrath of Khan) are there.  There are also some very funny
phrases translated there, too.  Now I hope we get to see a Vulcan dictionary.
--
Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (12/18/85)

Info, please:  who publishes the Klingon dictionary and what does it cost?

--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto

scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) (12/18/85)

What I'd like to know is whether or not there's a translation
for the color Red.  If not, I'd like someone to explain why
all those Federation people who speak Klingonese (there must
be many spies, at least) never noticed Klingons can't see that
portion of the spectrum...

			Scott J. Berry
			ihnp4!hou2g!scott

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (12/19/85)

In article <737@hou2g.UUCP>, scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) writes:

> What I'd like to know is whether or not there's a translation
> for the color Red.  If not, I'd like someone to explain why
> all those Federation people who speak Klingonese (there must
> be many spies, at least) never noticed Klingons can't see that
> portion of the spectrum...
>
> 			Scott J. Berry
> 			ihnp4!hou2g!scott

	If they can't see the color red, then why is the bridge of
the Klingon ship in TSFS lit with red lights?

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless @ Imperial Propoganda) (12/20/85)

> What I'd like to know is whether or not there's a translation
> for the color Red.  If not, I'd like someone to explain why
> all those Federation people who speak Klingonese (there must
> be many spies, at least) never noticed Klingons can't see that
> portion of the spectrum...
> 			ihnp4!hou2g!scott

Because Pawns & Symbols goofed.  Klingons CAN see red.  Read
The Final Reflection.  Krenn saw red on P. 54, 117, 141, 191, 220,
and 247.  An important file, the "Red," file is referenced
to all over the place.  See P. 216 for reference.

Actually, it's easier to tell a Klingon than that.  Just put
a Klingon in front of a cheap CRT monitor for a few hours.
His eyes will go out, long before a human's.

On a semi-related note, has anybody wondered why humans don't
learn Klingonese?  We all can learn your language.  Aren't
you capable of learning ours?

			Lord Kahless

scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) (12/20/85)

>> What I'd like to know is whether or not there's a translation
>> for the color Red.  If not, I'd like someone to explain why
>> all those Federation people who speak Klingonese (there must
>> be many spies, at least) never noticed Klingons can't see that
>> portion of the spectrum...
>>
>> 			Scott J. Berry
>> 			ihnp4!hou2g!scott

> 	If they can't see the color red, then why is the bridge of
> the Klingon ship in TSFS lit with red lights?
>
> Edward C. Bennett

Probably the light radiated more than just red--there are also a few
colors Klingons (apparantly, from the book at least) can see that
Humans can't.  They are highly sensitive to Orange, which is why
(again in the book) they have "Amber Alerts" instead of Red ones...

			Scott Berry

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless @ Imperial Propoganda) (12/21/85)

> Info, please:  who publishes the Klingon dictionary and what does it cost?
> UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom

Pocket Books, a large dictionary line.  They publish the Langenscheidt's
dictionary, etc.  They're a well known company.  Anyway, the book is
order number 0-671-54349-0-395, and the price is $3.95, American.

I find some of the side comments racially offensive, and also somewhat
skimpy in places.  If you already have a command of the language, you
probably won't learn too much.

			Lord Kahless

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (12/23/85)

In article <354@ukecc.UUCP> edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>In article <737@hou2g.UUCP>, scott@hou2g.UUCP (The Brennan Monster) writes:
>>
>> What I'd like to know is whether or not there's a translation
>> for the color Red.  If not, I'd like someone to explain why
>
>	If they can't see the color red, then why is the bridge of
>the Klingon ship in TSFS lit with red lights?

  An interesting point. Typically U.S. Navy ships turn only red lights
  on in some quarters, and those who work up on deck wear red goggles
  to accustom their eyes to the dark.

  Possibly this is the reason for the Klingons red lights, the universe
  being dark also ??

In article <608@riccb.UUCP> rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) writes:
>> Also, has anyone seen/read Mark Okrand's recently-released "Klingon
>> Dictionary"?  It's a novel-length book going into phenomenal detail
>> about the syntax, structure, pronunciation rules, and grammar of
>> "Klingonese" he prepared for Treks 2 and 3.
>>

>I don't want to be picky, but I don't want people to be put off from reading
>Okrand's dictionary.  It's not nearly novel-length and it is fascinating.
>Apart from the bits and pieces of the language, there are several phrase
>translations in there that are quite interesting.  Virtually all of the
>Klingon phrases used in ST:TMP and ST:TSFS (that is, 1 and 3; no Klingons
>appeared in The Wrath of Khan) are there.  There are also some very funny
>phrases translated there, too.  Now I hope we get to see a Vulcan dictionary.
>--
        Well, this actually sounds quite decent! Especially as it
seems to be based on the actual presentation of the language in the
movies!
        There actually *is* a Vulcan dictionary - it is horrendous. The
language it presents has *no* relation to the Vulcanian language
fragments from either the series or the movies! It has *none* of the
gutteral consonants so prevalent in the filmed Vulcanian, and the
grammer is a rather obvious rip-off of Japanese! This in spite of
comments in the first chapter about the grammer being "different from
Earth languages"!!
        I almost wrote the Klingonese Dictionary off, expecting it to
be another rip-off like the Vulcan Dictionary!
--

                                Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa