[net.startrek] pulling teeth

thaller@corvus.DEC (Capt'n Kurt: LTN2-2/H17 617 -486-6643 DTN:226-6643) (01/17/86)

I remember once seeing an episode where McCoy pulled someones tooth by
pinching a nerve in the persons mouth and the tooth just dropped out.
He said he learned it from a Vulcan.  I beleive that the seen appeared
in Spectre of the Gun but haven't seen the scene again.  I'm guessing that
maybe this is one of the first scenes cut when syndicating.

Can anyone verify if such a scene exists, or if not, where I may have gotten
this from.  (Maybe I read it in one of the novels).

Kurt Thaller

(arpa) Thaller%HYDRA.DEC@DECWRL
(uucp) dec-rhea!dec-lyra!thaller@decwrl

che@ptsfb.UUCP (Mitch Che) (01/18/86)

In article <493@decwrl.DEC.COM> thaller@corvus.DEC (Capt'n Kurt: LTN2-2/H17  617 -486-6643 DTN:226-6643) writes:
>I remember once seeing an episode where McCoy pulled someones tooth by
>pinching a nerve in the persons mouth and the tooth just dropped out.
>He said he learned it from a Vulcan.  I beleive that the seen appeared
>in Spectre of the Gun but haven't seen the scene again.  I'm guessing that
>maybe this is one of the first scenes cut when syndicating.
>
>Can anyone verify if such a scene exists, or if not, where I may have gotten
>this from.  (Maybe I read it in one of the novels).

This scene never appeared in the television show, but was a nice
touch added by the late James Blish in his short story adaptation of
"Spectre..".  I've always thought that scenes in Blish's adaptations are
often better than the original television episodes, if only because he
took care of inconsistencies or clarified scenes so they made more
sense!  One of my favorite adaptations is "The Doomsday Machine."
Besides the fact that Decker survives in Blish's universe, his (Kirk's)
explanation of why the doomsday weapon is destroyed by the fusion
reaction of the impluse engines actually makes sense...

--
Mitch Che
Pacific Bell

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (01/18/86)

I have exactly the same memory of the tooth pulling scene, but
I think, perhaps, it only occurred in James Blish's adaptation
of SPECTRE OF THE GUN.  But I remember it quite vividly, which,
I guess, is a credit to Blish's writing skill.

--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto